Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lookin lots like Christmas Breakroom - Dec 8 - 14

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorts
Awww! Chester is looking good Shorts!

Originally Posted by FiverBob
HELLO - - - ANYONE OUT THERE IN CYBERLAND???????
I'm here, just busy as heck. Trying to get the wood boiler set up and yanking an old tractor apart have kept me busier than I'd like to be.

We bought an OLD Ford 4000 back in August for scrap price. Was told that it had only been sitting a year or two. More like 2 DECADES I think. It was seized up so tight even a porta-power plumbed into a sparkplug hole wouldn't budge it. Pulled the head off and this is what I found:

Name:  001_zps9ac5d62b.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  101.5 KB

This cylinder took a 12 pound sledge and a block of wood to get the piston moving down, then a 6 pound sledge and a punch to move it back upwards from underneath. Repeatedly. Took almost 2 hours to get it out.

Name:  002_zps5f727282.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  80.6 KB

I don't think pistons are supposed to be white and fuzzy, are they?

Name:  006_zps82a4adbc.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  56.6 KB

If I take it apart any more, it won't be a tractor!

Name:  004_zpsfec158dc.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  108.4 KB

Gonna try to get on here in the AM for your history report, but I have a guy coming to help me with the plumbing aspects of the wood boiler install tomorrow. If he shows up early, you'll be missing your report again.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:55 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Awww! Chester is looking good Shorts!

I'm here, just busy as heck. Trying to get the wood boiler set up and yanking an old tractor apart have kept me busier than I'd like to be.

We bought an OLD Ford 4000 back in August for scrap price. Was told that it had only been sitting a year or two. More like 2 DECADES I think. It was seized up so tight even a porta-power plumbed into a sparkplug hole wouldn't budge it. Pulled the head off and this is what I found:

This cylinder took a 12 pound sledge and a block of wood to get the piston moving down, then a 6 pound sledge and a punch to move it back upwards from underneath. Repeatedly. Took almost 2 hours to get it out.

I don't think pistons are supposed to be white and fuzzy, are they?

If I take it apart any more, it won't be a tractor!

Gonna try to get on here in the AM for your history report, but I have a guy coming to help me with the plumbing aspects of the wood boiler install tomorrow. If he shows up early, you'll be missing your report again.
Uhhhh......you DID say you bought it at SCRAP price didn't you????
Old 12-12-2013, 01:05 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Chaikwa!
Also, nice tractor. You need to dip the entire thing in a salt & vinegar bath to get rid of the rust. But I'd watch out, you might not get anything back! lol

Nate, I was trying to keep it PG you know, family site
Old 12-12-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That ain't a tractor it's a pile of s I. Rust good luck with that thing. Do you have a spare 12 valve laying around I see sleed pulls in the future.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jhenson
Uhhhh......you DID say you bought it at SCRAP price didn't you????
Of course... same price I pay for everything!

Originally Posted by railroaderone
That ain't a tractor it's a pile of s I. Rust good luck with that thing.
You are more crude and rude than I am... I didn't think that was possible!

Aside from the obvious, the thing isn't in bad shape. Needs a rim and tire but the hydraulic and tranny fluids are clean and nothing is obviously broken. They're getting upwards of $3500 for these things if they're anywhere close to running condition and I've seen them as high as $9000 restored. I don't know what the attraction to them is exactly but I can part it out and triple my initial investment of $200.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:00 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Howdy all,

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Oh I did it strictly so I could wear the hat,
The hat might not have been very functional but I am glad some of you guys wore it.
I looked into going for it but after seeing what those of you who passed had to do for it I figured I would stick to slinging bed pans.

Pulled the head off and this is what I found:
Wonder how it got that much moisture in the engine. A sledgehammer and a 3ft long wrench. Pretty delicate stuff you are working on.

Nothing going on here. Just the way I like it.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 PM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shorts

Nate, I was trying to keep it PG you know, family site
I go to work and there anything goes I do mean ANYTHING ..I got on here its almost like being in church
Old 12-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bark
Wonder how it got that much moisture in the engine. A sledgehammer and a 3ft long wrench. Pretty delicate stuff you are working on.
I wondered the same thing too considering this thing was inside a barn. Maybe the roof leaked right into the exhaust pipe, I dunno.
That 3' wrench had a 6' pipe attached to it too, and that was while someone else was pounding on the piston. Still didn't move until I disconnected rods from the crankshaft, and then only the piston that was being beat on. After all pistons were removed it STILL wouldn't turn. The lifters had glued themselves to the camshaft. Everything turns freely now but it took almost a gallon of that 'special juice'! The guy that's guiding me thru this says he's seen worse.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by twichit
I go to work and there anything goes I do mean ANYTHING ..I got on here its almost like being in church
Thanks to the Good Reverend Twitchit can I get a amen?
Old 12-12-2013, 08:23 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Amen!

The guy that's guiding me thru this says he's seen worse.
Hmmm, maybe there is hope for my Dad's 1929 Case (metal wheels).
It was running ok when he parked it and he would give the crank a spin once or twice a year.
However, the bottom of the can he had over the exhaust rotted so he got water in it so it no longer cranks.
I might dump some of your 'special juice' in it when I am back down there.

Going swimming if they will let me. Last time they had to let some water out of the pool before I could jump in.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:40 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Originally Posted by Bark
Amen!

Hmmm, maybe there is hope for my Dad's 1929 Case (metal wheels).
It was running ok when he parked it and he would give the crank a spin once or twice a year.
However, the bottom of the can he had over the exhaust rotted so he got water in it so it no longer cranks.
I might dump some of your 'special juice' in it when I am back down there.

Going swimming if they will let me. Last time they had to let some water out of the pool before I could jump in.
Brake fluid works wonders on top of pistons.....just don't get it on top of paint!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Morning all.

It is Friday, December 13th.

1636 - The United States National Guard was created when militia regiments were organized by the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

1809 - The first abdominal surgical procedure was performed in Danville, KY, on Jane Todd Crawford. The operation was performed without an anesthetic.

1816 - John Adamson received a patent for a dry dock.

1862 - In America, an estimated 11,000 Northern soldiers were killed or wounded when Union forces were defeated by Confederates under General Robert E. Lee, at the Battle of Fredericksburg.

1913 - The Federal Reserve System was established.

1937 - Japanese forces took the Chinese city of Nanking (Nanjing). An estimated 200,000 Chinese were killed over the next six weeks. The event became known as the "Rape of Nanking."

1944 - During World War II, the U.S. cruiser Nashville was badly damaged in a Japanese kamikaze suicide attack. 138 people were killed in the attack.

1961 - Anna Mary Robertson Moses, "Grandma Moses," passed away at the age of 101.

1964 - In El Paso, TX, President Johnson and Mexican President Gustavo Diaz Ordaz set off an explosion that diverted the Rio Grande River, reshaping the U.S.-Mexican border. This ended a century-old border dispute.

1982 - The Sentry Armored Car Company in New York discovered that $11 million had been stolen from its headquarters overnight. It was the biggest cash theft in U.S. history.

1987 - U.S. Secretary of State George Shultz told reporters in Copenhagen, Denmark, that the Reagan administration would begin making funding requests for the proposed Star Wars defense system.

1991 - Five Central Asian republics of the Soviet Union agreed to join the new Commonwealth of Independent States.

1994 - An American Eagle commuter plane carrying 20 people crashed short of Raleigh-Durham International Airport in North Carolina, killing 15 people.

2000 - U.S. Vice President Al Gore conceded the 2000 Presidential election to Texas Gov. George W. Bush. The Florida electoral votes were won by only 537 votes, which decided the election. The election had been contested up to the U.S. Supreme Court, which said that the Florida recount (supported by the Florida Supreme Court) was unconstitutional.

2000 - Seven convicts, the "Texas 7," escaped from Connally Unit in Kenedy, TX, southeast of San Antonio, by overpowering civilian workers and prison employees. They fled with stolen clothing, pickup truck and 16 guns and ammunition.

2001 - The U.S. government released a video tape that showed Osama bin Laden and others discussing their knowledge of the terrorist attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001.

2001 - U.S. President George W. Bush served formal notice to Russia that the United States was withdrawing from the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty.

2001 - NBC-TV announced that it would begin running hard liquor commercials. NBC issued a 19-point policy that outlined the conditions for accepting liquor ads.

2001 - Michael Frank Goodwin was arrested and booked on two counts of murder, one count of conspiracy and three special circumstances (lying in wait, murder for financial gain and multiple murder) in connection to the death of Mickey Thompson. Thompson and his wife Trudy were shot to death in their driveway on March 16, 1988. Thompson, known as the "Speed King," set nearly 500 auto speed endurance records including being the first person to travel more than 400 mph on land.

Today's thought:
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

C0ffee & ph00 are ready ph0r Y0u!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:07 AM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Good Friday the 13th one and all. Probably explains my weird dream last night. Cops tried to arrest me for working on aircraft. Guns drawn and everything. I showed them my certificates and it was deer in the headlights time. Funny.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Christmas shopping another way of saying I'm going to spend myself broke. You all have a good day left some brownies on the counter
Old 12-13-2013, 01:32 PM

Iīll grab a cup of coffee and a brownie, then Iīll sit down and tell yaīll that itīs 8:30 PM around here, and this Friday the 13th has been uneventful.
Thatīs good news ainīt it

Weather is grey, rainy, foggy and wet letīs just say thereīs room for improvement.

Slev

Quick Reply: Lookin lots like Christmas Breakroom - Dec 8 - 14