Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Look what I got in the mail today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by matego
How does that work for you? Do you train in a specialized field, like shooting or hand to hand or do you do it all?
Do you stay with the same bunch of guys from their first day until they leave?
Last question, do you stay with them in the barracks a lot or do you go home every night?

Sorry if they seem like stupid questions, I a just curious....like George.
No prob, man, you know I'll talk to ya...

I don't understand what you mean by "Do you train in a specialized field?"... We have Marksmanship instructors, swim instructors, guys that teach specialized classes, field instructors... We stay with the recruits from Forming day one to graduation. I sleep there every third night, sometimes more.

Originally Posted by 5.9Toy
Well I can say that I got out of the service once and then the family thing started setting in when I met my wife.Well when I got out I didnt like it.I felt like I was lost and didnt know where to go,something was missing.So i told my wife I am going back in because I liked the structure and the service helps people when they need it.There are those few that dont like the service but I still respect those that do come in and do their time.I know I have a guaranteed job in the service as well and dont have to worry about my wife and 3 kids.They are doing well and I dont have to pay all those medical bills for having kids and the boo boos they get.As far as wife and husband go the service will test the love and let ya know who isnt strong enough.Been in 11 years and love every minute of it.If the service calls you back in then that should tell you were dang good at what you did not the fact the must be desperate they need good leaders to keep people alive.
I can't imagine getting out... they're just calling me back to be a DI, I'm still in...

That free medical, too, huh?
Originally Posted by Bearwhiz
I appreciate the job you do as well as all of our military personnel.
Thank You
Thank you! Good Americans are all I need...
Old 12-06-2008, 06:57 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat

Refresher... that's a good way to put it...

Yeah, I did a little himmin' and hawin' at a promotion board after haveing spent some time instructing outside my MOS. They kinda liked hearing about air assault operations and working at the air assault school when I changed the subject though. Ended up with a passing score after all (My section chief at the time was a washed up POS and didn't prepare me and they recognised that). I may not have appeared as bad as I fealth though. Would've loved to go back and work at a school again, like DI or MOS instructing.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you enjoy it, go for it..... I've been on the base before a couple of times when we launched a new site there. Bet them sand gnats in April will carry you away..... Recruits love that I bet....LOL
Old 12-07-2008, 12:58 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

No prob, man, you know I'll talk to ya...

I don't understand what you mean by "Do you train in a specialized field?"... We have Marksmanship instructors, swim instructors, guys that teach specialized classes, field instructors... We stay with the recruits from Forming day one to graduation. I sleep there every third night, sometimes more.
I guess it didnt come out right. Is training set up like stations? You know, 1 hr chucking grenades, 2 hrs rifle, etc. etc. and if it was set up in such a scenario, do you specialize in something?

I picture you as the guy that shows you how to snap a guys arm off or shows you how to kill 5 armed assailants with a pine cone. I feel that from talking to you I think you go into kill mode once the hat comes off.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by matego
I guess it didnt come out right. Is training set up like stations? You know, 1 hr chucking grenades, 2 hrs rifle, etc. etc. and if it was set up in such a scenario, do you specialize in something?

I picture you as the guy that shows you how to snap a guys arm off or shows you how to kill 5 armed assailants with a pine cone. I feel that from talking to you I think you go into kill mode once the hat comes off.
We have a training schedule. I could e-mail you one if you PM me your e-mail address.
We (the DI's) teach them how to be a Marine. How to walk, talk, dress, eat, shower... everything in daily life. We also teach them Drill, knowledge, Marine Corps Martial Arts,(they have a primary instructor for that, we re-enforce it) marksmanship, (same as MCMAP) Field training...

Here's a pic or two...

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/d...and/?start=all

I can go into kill mode with the hat on or off.

Did I tell you that I can rip 2 golf ***** through a pair of denim pants?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:15 AM

This is my favorite one ...

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrent=di-1.jpg

Hahahahahaha,
PISTOL
Old 12-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whatever you may decide to do, I have no doubt you will do it full throttle. Even though you are a LEG.

I wish you the best, and thanks for giving my country your best!

Prayers,

Tim
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That was a good pic. Can you say laryngitis (no pun intended)? Spend too much time in there and you'll be medically discharged from self-inflicted hearing loss.

Wow, that's great. I'll definitely have to pay you a visit next time I'm down in SC. That would really make my day. Hope things go well for you.

I'll let you know if our little recruit that was discharged for a bone fracture goes back down for some more. She got used to the routine first time around, so might need a quarter-decking or two to keep things from getting boring.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:31 AM

My Favorite....

Thanks for giving us your best!

Hay
Old 12-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Chapter President

We (the DI's) teach them how to be a Marine. How to walk, talk, dress, eat, shower... everything in daily life. We also teach them Drill, knowledge, Marine Corps Martial Arts,(they have a primary instructor for that, we re-enforce it) marksmanship, (same as MCMAP) Field training...
What they do is break you down and rebuild you the Marine Corps way. Ooh-Rah Madhat!!

I was broke down in 89', still can't shake the haircut or people coming up to me and saying you were in the military were'nt you? I bet Marines. Just something about what the drill instructors do and your stuck with it for the rest of your life, would'nt trade a day that I spent in the Marines and like what some of you guys have said, get to missing the structure, the buddies and so on.

Conrats Madhat, at least your close to work. I have flashbacks about PI at times. Just a smell, early in the morning about 4am and my mind will flashback to marching to chow in the wee hours on PI, letting my eyes wonder(with no head movement) to check out the steam pipes all over the place, the peace before the start of the day.

Then there were the fun times in Japan. Freezing oranges in the barracks and chuckin them out the window into the river! Hey, we were 18-19 years old and were trying to make the best of it. I look back and wonder why we did that??
Old 12-07-2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by PistolWhipt
This is my favorite one ...

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrent=di-1.jpg

Hahahahahaha,
PISTOL
took the words right out of my mouth. LOL
Old 12-07-2008, 11:45 AM

I'm gonna go back.

If you don't know, I just left Parris Island as a Drill Instructor a year ago this month.

I have not been a whole person since I left...

Once a Marine always a Marine!