Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

livestock problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
livestock problems

Talked to my dad tonight and he told me that my little cousin has been seeing a lot of coyotes around the farm. Starting to have some calves here and there and it sounds like I may have to do some varmint hunting. Anybody else lose any stock to predators?<br>Bear with me people it's 12:30 and I'm broke and bored. Talk to me.<br>
Old 01-11-2003, 12:15 AM

Re:livestock problems

I am no live stock owner by any means, but my best friend's parents had a bull get loose and lets just say he knocked up some cows during the wrong time, so there were a few cows that gave birth without them knowing, and coyotes got a few of them. My buddys dad was pisted. They are also having a tough time with cougars around the ranch, and game department won't let them use hounds yet, so they have been hunting them at nights. Washington State Game Department is kinda dumb that way. They outlaw hounds while hunting cougars, and now in a few towns around where I live cougars have been sighted near the elementary schools. Raising live stock would be stressful I think. I respect farmers of all kind greatly!
Old 01-11-2003, 12:25 PM

Now 98ramtough, don't go blaming the game Dept for outlawing hound hunting. It was the Yuppies in Issaquah and the greater seattle area sipping there lahte's and rallying with PETA against the hound hunters. It'll take a few of there little yappy dogs or kids being drug of by cougars and bears to get it back! Take care WRP 8)
Old 01-11-2003, 12:37 PM

Yeah, I retract my blaming of the game department. The least they could do is leave land holders alone with the issue. At parts of Eastern Washington they are trying to punish land holders for poaching. Hell it isn't poaching, it is trying to keep thier business running.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:02 PM

No problems yet, but I can hear them in the night carrying on something aweful. There is a guy from Harrison County that catches them and takes them to Frankfort to the game reserve. I will check his number tomorrow. He caught 37 across the creek from me last year. Drives a red toyoata and has one of them mules he rides around. No not the jack a$$ kind either. <br><br>Come see us soon!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2003, 05:17 PM

I hate to say it HiredGun but I don't want to catch them. Ilike to hunt them. I use a cottontail in distress call that seems to bring them right in. Plus it is about the only animal left out there that you can hunt all year long. I would like to know who that guy is that traps them though. You say he's from HC? Try to get me a name.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red,<br><br>I lost a calf here not to long ago to coyote/wolves whatever.<br><br> &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;<br><br>Not a happy camper. It was a newborn twin on a two yearold.<br><br>She couldn't protect them both.<br>I got $600 for the calf but it is a pittance compared top what a good purebred calf might be worth.<br><br>Those sonsofguns better not get in site of my .303
Old 01-12-2003, 01:46 AM

around here in iowa they are thick! i have hunted coyotes since i was able to shoot a gun. lots of different ways, but the best way by far is calling them in with a rabbit distress caller- like calling in turkeys! i got a couple of guys that go with me, we take an old international scout that is camo colored { for no reason realy} but looks cool! anyhow we riged up a P.A. speaker on the roof up to a tape player in the cab with a tape that has a bunch of different rabbit crys on it! park the truck walk out about 150 yards and try not to shoot the truck! Works slicker then scmidt!! The county courthouse even has a bounty for them around here, plus pheasents forever throw in some too. comes to 15 dollars for the bounty. Not much, but its better then nothin!!
Old 01-12-2003, 12:16 PM

I wish they'd throw out a bounty in Kentucky. I couldn't imagine getting a little spare change for something I really enjoy like coyote hunting.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:05 PM

Have you thought about livestock guardian dogs? Numerous websites and forums out there. I know this 'cause my wife has been researching them. When we retire and move to So. Dakota we intend to have some Llama, buffalo, and other various critters. The buffalo can take care of themselves.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:09 PM

Lots of people put sheep and llamas together. The llamas guard the sheep. We haven't had any problems yet but I am going to do some preventative problem solving just in case. Plus I love to rabbit hunt and the coyote is the number one killer of the cottontail.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:13 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Gee I hope Rod doesn't see this and start thinking about Blue LLamas.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:26 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=10;threadid=9500;start=0#91328 date=1042423986]<br>Gee I hope Rod doesn't see this and start thinking about Blue LLamas. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Performance hit, BAD. Gotta be blue sheep.<br><br>Just as well, I don't need a Llama around here. My cows are so bloody mean that a pack of a hundred coyotes wouldn't come within miles of the place.<br><br>My cows are great. 'Cept at calving season :'(<br><br>Rod
Old 01-14-2003, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used to have 20-30 large donkeys around our place that we bred and raised.<br><br>A lot of those we sold as protectors for sheep and cattle herds. They work really well.<br><br>A donkey will bond with the herd and kill a coyote!<br><br>Now we just have about 20 minature donkeys that we raise. They will work too, but they are pretty small.<br>Didn't have any with the cattle 'cause they can get into the calf creep feeder.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:45 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Michigan State University has donkey's with their sheep for the coyotes. Thinking about taking the 30-06 out later this week with a rabbit call.

Quick Reply: livestock problems