Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lincoln Mig welders

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
How do you like it???Even with the exchange that may not be to bad...I think the $300 lincoln must be sold...No call back or email..
Couldnt tell you - Im too cheap to buy a tank. When I checked it was $300+ just for a tank + gas.

Dave, the $300 was for a used one - I believe they are 2-3X more for a new one.

If you want to spend a little more and get something that can do bigger stuff too - look at the Hobart Handler 180...will do 3/8" and they are around $700-800 I believe.

Here it is: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8799_200328799
Old 02-28-2009, 12:13 AM

Hi. Im a welder by trade. 31 years worth. Last year I bought a little Miller
130.. 110 volt job. it works OK . It would be better if you could run it hotter.
If your use flux core wire it works decent, Flux core welds dont look so nice
lots of spatter but penetrates good.. I trying a bottle of Gas and to use solid
wire,, the welds looked nice but when put in a brake to bend them they all broke,, almost zero penetration on 1/4in plate.. It would be great if it went hotter but that doesnt happen with household 110 volts.. depends what you want to weld. Thin stuff is ok, thicker then 3/16in plate I would use a bigger machine and I do..And Im also in Calgary..

Dale M
Old 03-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Chapter President

Have to agree with Dale. If your just doing sheet metal and such the little ones are good. You can run the 024 wire and get pretty thin. I've got a hobart 140 and it does pretty good with gas or flux. Usually use it to weld in balisters on hand rail, 1/2" bar and other light work. It says you can do up to whatever with multiple passes but they don't get hot enough to really penetrate the thicker steel.

You have to look at what you want to do in the future as well. Any plans on welding aluminum? The little machines are not going to have enough butt to run it, stainless possibly with a tri mix gas but probably not so great as I have been told. Stepping up to a hobart 180 or even the 200 series(Miller/Lincoln) models and you'll be able to get a spool gun for aluminum and run stainless if the need ever arrises. The hobart will be the least costly at tractor supply and could probably get lincoln at the home depot(?) At the welding house you can spend a grand easily on the 200 series Miller or Lincolns.

Around here if your going to run solid wire you have to lease the tank(Argon/CO2) and that ranges from $175/5 year lease to $200/3 year lease plus fill ups. At the welding house's thats for any size tank you want. Flux wire is more expensive than the solid and makes one heck of a mess. Ran out of gas on a handrail one time and used flux wire.....never again, spatters worse than stick rods.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good thing I bought my 60Lb tank a few years back.Now its 3 times the cost to buy it.And leasing it isn't worth it when a 60 lb tank lasted me over 8 years.You know what is driving me crazy right now.The 140C here is almost $300 more here than the 140T.Its too bad, because in the US its only $50 to $100 more.I called Lincoln USA and they said that unless your doing commerical work and using the mig every day then stick to the 140T...I still have my 140T sitting in the box...deciding if 140C would be worth the $300 difference..
Old 03-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
Flux wire is more expensive than the solid and makes one heck of a mess. Ran out of gas on a handrail one time and used flux wire.....never again, spatters worse than stick rods.
Yes, it IS more expensive, but I think the 'mess' is all a matter of getting used to it. Everything I do is flux cored and after I chip the flux off you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and a gas process. The pic below is a flux cored weld.

chaikwa.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good...I found that flux core makes a nice welds also...What I did tonight was to say...The heck with it...I fired up the 140T...Wow what a nice weld.What I realized that when your looking in purhasing a welder,is like buying a truck.You have to test drive them to find the best fit.Posting and asking others help is good,but you have to test each model.Then you find what you really want...