Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Leupold Scope...Driving me nuts! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leupold Scope...Driving me nuts! Help!

Ok guys, this is driving me nuts. I bought 3 Leupold VX 3 L scopes.
4.5-14X56 Boone & Crockett
6.5-20X56 Varmint Retical
6.5-20X56 Varmint Retical.... yes, two of the same.

Boone & Crockett is for my 300 RUM. The other two are for my .223 VTR R15 and my 22-250. Here is the problem and hopefully others that have bought and use these new Leupolds can help me out. There is a side focus on these scopes. It is impossible to use for hunting purposes. They must only be for target varmint use or something. I spoke with Leupold themselves with no success. You are suppose to be able to turn the side focus to infinity and be able to see CLEARLY at whatever range you want. 30yrds or 5,000yrds. It does NOT work. Whenever you look through the scope at different ranges, you ALWAYS have to take the time to adjust the side focus. Well, I bow hunt by nature, but if times get tough, I'll use the ol' rifles for backup. So, use this for an example. If you are elk/deer hunting and there is an animal that jumps up at 30 yrd, you may be able to see clearly. If it jumps up at 100 yrds, good luck. It looks like your trying to see through water. You have to stop, take the time to adjust the side focus, then hope the elk is still there. Then, you see an elk at 300 yards... guess what. You cant see it. You have to fricken adjust the side focus to see it. Who has the time to do this, really???? What the heck? Could someone please explain.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:13 AM

Is this what your talking bout ? the **** on the left if you were looking through the scope. Do all three do the same thing ?
Old 06-04-2009, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
What is that pattern,
Blood Spatter?

Haven’t a clue about the adjustments.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you have very good scopes, and have several of them, for very accurate shots you need to have the parallax adjustment on the scope. some of my scopes have it on the front and you have to screw the lens in or out. the side adjustment is a huge improvement. if you are in brushy country, set the scope on the lowest power and parallax at 30 yards at this setting you can see and hit out to 150 to 200 yards.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 AM

As best as I can come up with , by your info , those are all long range scopes , not designed for what you describe in your post .
For backup out to 100 yrds. , you would be better served by a single low power scope .
Like said above , parallax , not side focus , what you could do is pick your own way to make marks on the parallax , at each magnification , then try to pick which range you may be at & match the parallax .
You should do some reading to get a really good idea of what is meant by parallax , then its easier to work with .
Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by dslpwr81
Ok guys, this is driving me nuts. I bought 3 Leupold VX 3 L scopes.
4.5-14X56 Boone & Crockett
6.5-20X56 Varmint Retical
6.5-20X56 Varmint Retical.... yes, two of the same.

Good lord!! How far are you shooting

The side focus is much better than the rear reticle adjustment. I use mine frequently and I'm glad that my scope 4x16 VX 1 has it. Its like looking through binocs. You have to adjust accordingly on those long ranges.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by John Faughn
As best as I can come up with , by your info , those are all long range scopes , not designed for what you describe in your post .
For backup out to 100 yrds. , you would be better served by a single low power scope .
Like said above , parallax , not side focus , what you could do is pick your own way to make marks on the parallax , at each magnification , then try to pick which range you may be at & match the parallax .
You should do some reading to get a really good idea of what is meant by parallax , then its easier to work with .
Ya, I fully understand the parallax and how it operates. I just used side focus so others would understand what I was trying to explain that may have not known. The 300 RUM and the 22-250 are both Custom Long Range Guns built by Allen Precision (Kirby Allen, buddy of mine) Fifty Driver on Long Range Hunting.com . I know what your thinking when by, "22-250 is long range ? ... but it was built for it. Anyway, the reason I am griping about these scopes is because before I purchased them, Leupold told me that at no matter what POWER or RANGE I used or looked at, the parallax could be set on infinity and it would be crystal clear. For precision shooting, then you could adjust the side focus/parallax if need. I like to use these guns in open praire for out to 1000yrd as well as 30yrd timber shots. I didnt want to have to have a seperate rifle to pack, ya know. This is why I called Leupold and asked if these scopes could be used on ANY power at any ANY range with one setting, which they assured me I could. Well, they cant. Thats why I'm a little bumbed out. Guess its my own fault for not doing more research. I realize the parallax is amazing when bench shooting or STRICKLY long range shots, but from what I was told by the techs, they could be used in any setting.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dslpwr81
This is why I called Leupold and asked if these scopes could be used on ANY power at any ANY range with one setting, which they assured me I could. Well, they cant. Thats why I'm a little bumbed out. Guess its my own fault for not doing more research.
I wouldn't say that. I'd say tho, that Leupold is like any other company these days in that they tell you whatever you want to hear in order to make the sale. It's sad but most companies do that now.

chaikwa.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 AM

I am a little frustrated , not with just you , but with all people that know a subject , but then keep caving into the ignorant , by using the wrong terms , on many subjects , I would like the people that know to teach those that do not .
The ignorant , should not tell the informed what is what .
For the short range , 2nd shot , you need to use either just open sights or a low power wide field of view scope , high power scopes , even at low power , give a narrow view , making it harder to pickup the target quickly .
Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by John Faughn
high power scopes , even at low power , give a narrow view , making it harder to pickup the target quickly .
Now I'm lost because my ignorance has jumped in the way again. 4.5-14X56 30mm tube on 4 power gives a narrow view at a closer range? I could understand a 6.5-20X40 with a 1 inch tube on 6.5 power at 40 yrds being difficult to pick up an object, but not the 4 power.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:46 PM

The point being , we very seldom get to "have our cake & eat it too" .
One tool to do all .
I try every time I start shopping for something new .