Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Let Talk Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let Talk Tires

OK.........lets assume you are only going to buy tires that are the same size as what came on the truck. Price is not the object in the decision. The usual factors to consider are:

What looks good on the truck

what tire gives good handling

what tire gives smooth ride

and of course which ones give good tire mileage

I know you can go to one of the tire sites and look at what other drivers have said about what they have used on their cars, their SUV, etc. ... but what I want to know it what do you guys driving mainly Dodge diesels think are the best tires and would you buy again if you are using your favorite tires now.

OK, and for those of you that just had to change the factory tires and wheels, what is you opinion regarding what is best for Dodge diesels? Assuming no lift or cutting of metal ...........

Thanks

Dick Hampton / Shawnee, Ks.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:20 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I would probably go back with the OEM tires.
Altho, for the price, I have been really pleased with my Atwoods Widetrack Baja's at about $80 each.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:24 PM

the michelins will last a long time if the don't spin too much.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Banned

Dickyboy -

I'm going to refrain making comments on that name, and just assume your hetero. EDIT - Woops! At first I read it as Dickboy, hehehe.

I've got 89,000 miles. on my original Michelin A/S tires. From everything I've read about, the Michelin M/S tires are one standard deviation better.

My tires have been smooth the whole time ... I've nevered had them balanced, and they're still perfectly smooth. Don't get me wrong, they're pretty much due to be replaced, but I tow regularly with my truck too.

So when it comes time for me, its the Michelin M/S's for me. Or I'll go back to the A/S's they've been great.

- JyRO
Old 10-10-2005, 09:31 PM

my michelins were half worn at 18,000 miles
Old 10-10-2005, 10:14 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I always recommend the Michelin LTX A/T. They are a bit more aggressive than the M/S, but still have great road manners, quiet and long lasting too. They seem to have consistent high quality, and you can tell this by balancing them. They take far less weight to balance than most tires out there.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Banned

BFG A/T fan here, ran them on many trucks always did a fine job and lasted a long time
Old 10-10-2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by CASMOKIN
BFG A/T fan here, ran them on many trucks always did a fine job and lasted a long time
i hate those too
Old 10-10-2005, 10:45 PM

maybe it is just me
Old 10-10-2005, 11:03 PM

I went with bridgestone duelers. Kinda noisy, pretty soft for what a truck tire should be.

It was either this or BFG's, and seeing how FAST BFGs wear on everyone elses rigs.. no thanks!! Im not buying new tires annually.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timmay2
It was either this or BFG's, and seeing how FAST BFGs wear on everyone elses rigs.. no thanks!! Im not buying new tires annually.
I dont know what everyone else is doing wrong, my last set of BFG's lasted me a little over 60k. I'm sure I had a few K left on them too.

I'm runnig 35" M/T's now and they seem to be wearing well
Old 10-11-2005, 06:16 AM

Thanks for the replys on tires guys........I'm traveling to Atlanta Sat to pick up an 03 Quad cab, 6 speed. The truck has a little over 40,000 miles on OEM Michelins and they look like they are ready to replace.

I've always heard that the Michelins are the easiest to balance and always seem to need less weights than other tires. Just starting to look....from looks alone, I like the Yokohama Geolanders and Goodyear Wrangler GS-A or the Wrangler Silent Armor.......anyone have any experience on these tires?

Dick Hampton / Kansas City
Old 10-11-2005, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by CASMOKIN
I dont know what everyone else is doing wrong, my last set of BFG's lasted me a little over 60k. I'm sure I had a few K left on them too.

I'm runnig 35" M/T's now and they seem to be wearing well
i am at 45 k on the truck now and i have a half worn set of michelins in the garage, and the bfg's that are on the truck are well below half. I knew there was a reason that i always ran coopers.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:38 AM

I had 60,000 miles on my Mich. LTX M/S 265s before having to switch. I've not had a tire on the truck that handled as good or lasted as long since but the Mich don't work real well on the farm in slimy conditions.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dickyboy`
OK.........lets assume you are only going to buy tires that are the same size as what came on the truck. Price is not the object in the decision. The usual factors to consider are:

What looks good on the truck

what tire gives good handling

what tire gives smooth ride

and of course which ones give good tire mileage

I know you can go to one of the tire sites and look at what other drivers have said about what they have used on their cars, their SUV, etc. ... but what I want to know it what do you guys driving mainly Dodge diesels think are the best tires and would you buy again if you are using your favorite tires now.

OK, and for those of you that just had to change the factory tires and wheels, what is you opinion regarding what is best for Dodge diesels? Assuming no lift or cutting of metal ...........

Thanks

Dick Hampton / Shawnee, Ks.
I'd recommend sticking with the OEM wheels. They fit properly (as engineered with the rest of the truck) and don't look that bad-- and they are plenty big enough to allow the fitment of large tires if you want.

Tires should be evaluated on traction first, not appearance or ride quality. Obviously, traction design will be a compromise based on what you prefer. Dry roads need different tread for max traction than do wet roads, snowy roads, or no roads at all (off roading). And off-road, a tire that works best in mud isn't as good on rock, and vice versa.

After traction and handling, is treadwear (assuming you've already eliminated tires with insufficient load rating). Tread wear is simple-- the slower the better. But often better traction comes at the price of treadwear. Choose traction over wear-- wear might not be the difference between a fatal accident and normal driving-- but traction DEFINITELY might be.

Ride quality is next in importance. Keep in mind that comfort and mpg are usually mutually exclusive. The "softness" that makes for a comfortable tire also increases rolling resistance, and reduces mpg.

Appearance is least important for obvious reasons.

jmo

Quick Reply: Let Talk Tires