Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Leonid meteor shower - anybody watch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leonid meteor shower - anybody watch?

Cold and clear here this morning with a slight high haze and an almost-full moon setting - just enough to obscure the smaller meteors. Saw a couple of really good bright ones with long tails - even saw one split into two as I was driving back.<br><br>Anybody else decide to get chilled and get a crick in their neck this morning? I would have preferred to watch the show from a tree stand but I have class this morning so here I am trying not to work (and doing a fine job of it, I think).
Old 11-19-2002, 05:54 AM

Re:Leonid meteor shower - anybody watch?

Yeah. My daughter and I woke up at 04:00 to watch the meteors. However with the full moon and light Cumulostratus clouds dispersing the light, we only saw a couple of the big ones. <br><br>She went back to bed, and I said ***, why not go to work. :
Old 11-19-2002, 06:04 AM

I got up a half hour early but the high clouds obscured all but the brightest stars. Last night's session was &quot;cancelled&quot; according to our local news. : I was outside, but saw nothing. So how long do we have to wait for another one of this intensity?....another ninety-six years I think. Anyone going to hang around for it? ;D
Old 11-19-2002, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been working all night (Again) and yes, we've been able to see quite a bit of the show.<br>Had several blast through our sky that briefly lit up the area.<br><br>Rich
Old 11-19-2002, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't see this one but went out to see the last big one that came through in the spring I think. I drove about a mile back in the field behind the house to get away from all the town lighting and stuff. If you like this kind of stuff, it was pretty spectacular. I saw more than I could count in about an hour. Makes you wonder who and where we are. Was better than any man made fire works for sure.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:01 AM

Got up at 4:30 and watched for a while. The moon and some haze hindered viewing a bit but still got to see some pretty good ones. Makes you feel a little small when you think about it. There is a lot of space out there.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Totally cloudy here...can't see a darn thing up there... :'( Isn't there supposed to be a partial lunar eclipse tonight as well??
Old 11-19-2002, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:33 AM
yz

I was out for a bit in the hot tub but could not see much because of how bright the moon was though. Still pretty cool though -Anthony
Old 11-19-2002, 09:11 AM

To much fog here, last year my wife and I were in Death Valley, It was GREAT ;D
Old 11-19-2002, 07:39 PM

High clouds here most of the night...couldn't see much for them and the full moon. My boss said he saw some when got up real early to go hunting. The clouds had cleared then. We have had dumb weather here all this autumn. At least we have gotten some rain to help the worst drought in 50 years.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:17 AM

Dang, No fricking wonder we were out in the blipping ocean looking for the source of a butt load of flare sightings last night. I couldn't figure it out, we were getting reports from all over the place.....white flares, yellow flares, red flares, orange flares. I only saw one and it looked like a freaking flare to me but the helo pilot said it was 40 miles or better offshore. I should have suspected something at that point. At least it was a pretty night, full moon, kinda cold but the Atlantic was like a mirror it was so calm. Meteor showers. I'd have thought the helo guys would have known about that.