Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Leaving California!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Leaving California!

Still a lot of cheap land in Missouri.
4 seasons and sure is a pretty place. I won't move back there because the in-laws are still there ... but that is another story

United Country Realty has a great website that covers most states.

PISTOL
Old 10-12-2003, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mextan, I really would consider Mexico, gotta convince the misses first, But I have my ways. What is the real details of purchasing land there. Ive heard all kinds of nightmareish stories of goverment taking purchased land back. I here you get a 99 year lease only, I know it probably sounds stupid, But??. I used to visit on the coast and loved it. You are free, the food is incredible, even the goat burritos I had, but man that cheese smelled kinda funky. People are great.Ocean fishing, Kinda had my heart set on that 55 million in last nights lotto, only got 3 bucks I think. Guess Ill have to wait..
Apache
Old 10-12-2003, 01:50 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

There are ways to purchase land outright in Mexico. Just have to be careful of land near the border and near the ocean. Unless you know what you are doing stay away from Indian owned land. Yes, there have been some nightmares of the government taking land back but this is inevitably because the people were just plain stupid and did not follow the rules. There is also 99 year leases which is not that bad when you know the rules. Follow the rules and there is no problem.
There is a great variety of cheese down here. Most of the white variety. Some are a little funky as you say, but have you smelled or eaten some of the strong smelling cheese sold in the US? Actually, most of the cheese here is delicious.
I grew up on a coast and loved it. Still enjoy it but do not enjoy the inevitable humidty. Have found that by living up in the mountains I have the best of both worlds. If I want seaside I just jump in my car and 6 or 7 hours later I am in the sea. Some parts of Mexico the drive is only 2 or 3 hours from the cool mountains to the sea.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:12 AM

Well Mexstan

can you tell me exactly where you live in Mexico, how far below the border? Just how to get there? My wife and I travel from time to time, last year we spent 10 months traveling around the States and now we are back in Canada for a month or two. We never know where we are going to wind up. My wife is a traveling nurse and works three months here and takes three months off and works three months. Well something like that.

OH Sick...............or Robert.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:23 PM

United Country Realty ????? which one? There are tons of them, or does it matter?

Oh Sick
Old 10-13-2003, 12:29 PM

[quote author=OH Sick link=board=10;threadid=20856;start=15#msg196252 date=1066065793]
United Country Realty ????? which one? There are tons of them, or does it matter?

Oh Sick
[/quote]

Try http://www.unitedcountry.com You should be able to search by state from there, and if I remember correctly it will direct you to local offices for the listings and contact info.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:08 PM

Thanks JF

Robert
Old 10-13-2003, 01:44 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Oh Sick, I am located in Queretaro (altitude 6000') which is about a 2 hour drive northwest of Mexico City. I regularly drive to San Antonio, Tx and that takes me 12 hours. I cross at the new bridge at Nueva Leon. It takes me about 9 hours to drive to McAllen. Coming from Alberta you have a choice of border towns to cross. The one due south of you is Nogales. If you go that route you drive sort of down the west coast thru Mazatlan and from there you can angle thru to Guadalajara. I am located 4 hours east of Guad. Have done that trip a couple of times and seem to remember that it took about 16 fast hours from Nogales to Guad. I have done it in one go but that is a very long, very fast drive. Cruising at 140-160 kph. Faster where I could. Not one to be done with the wife next to you or a trailer behind you. I drove from Nanaimo, BC to Guad with a truck, towing my car and did the trip in four days.
If you are planning on driving down this deep into Mexico let me know and I can give you some tips. It is no problem. And don't worry about banditos. I have only seen them on TV. Don't know anyone who has had any experience with them either.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:07 PM

Mextan, love to see pics of the country side? any hunting there? the beach we can do without no problem. The misses works at a grocery store and has brought some cheese home That I think I could run a gassed on from the fumes. man it was ripe. my feet dont even smell that bad on a good day One of my cohorts here at my work has a place in Nogales I belive, Ill have to ask him about it. Kinda of a dumb question but is there any problem getting CTD parts there? I was always amazed to see all the different car or trucks there that you cant get here in the US, I remember a Datsun 4 door 4x4 mini truck in the early 80s, seem to remember several, now there the latest and greatest thing here. I always wanted a diesel landcruiser p.u. but couldent get one here. Have to go to Australia to get it.
Thanks, Apache
Old 10-13-2003, 05:59 PM

This thread is starting to turn into a sort of a travellog. Maybe I should start a business here and charge DTR's for Mexico travel info. Then I would have to pay Jack for advertising.
Apache, to answer your questions.
There is a stack of pictures of Mexico on the internet. Try doing a search under chapala or maybe ajijic and see what pops up. There used to be a stack of info under those two names about living in Mexico etc. I used to live in Ajijic. (pronounced Ah-hee-heeek) Old time spelling is Axixic. Ajijic and Chapala have the largest contingincy of retired Americans and Canadians outside of the states and Canada. Lot of snowbirds go there. That area is classed by the National Geographic as having the second nicest climate in the world.
Hunting? No idea what there is to hunt here. Think it has been almost hunted out. I know there are hunting companies but you will have to search for them. Try looking under mexico, hunting. Fishing of course is great. Caught a marlin in Acapulco some time ago that was longer than my wife is tall.
Nogales or any border town is not the true Mexico. Sure, it wil give you a Mexican flavor but to find the true Mexico you need to go away from all border cities. I live in true Mexico and have property in the old time Mexico. Did an off the beaten track tour thru the state of Veracruz recently and loved it. This is true Mexico. Even did a side trip to check out the waterfall shown in the movie "Romancing the Stone". Introduced my city slicker wife to dirt roads and jungles. Drove 20 miles on a dirt "road" to a semi deserted beach. No tourists. It was great. Stayed there two nights. Ate next to the beach in a "restaurant" with a dirt floor, chickens running around eating the crumbs. Now THAT is really Mexico. Tourists stay away from this kind of place to their loss. Had fresh caught fish, the entire fish that more than covered my plate for around US$2. Under five dollars for the two of us to have a full meal with drinks. Great food. The local zero star hotel cost us around fifty dollars for two nights. It was off season. OK, it was not fancy but had an ocean view, clean sheets and a hot shower.
So far I have never had to buy any CTD parts. There are a lot of Cummins dealers around so doubt if there would be a problem. Yes, there are a lot of vehicles here that you can't get in the US. Toyoto is just getting established here so maybe soon we will be able to buy the diesel Landcruiser. Had that been available here I may have gone for that instead of my CTD.
Guess that answers your questions. Hope it helped.