Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Leasing a Horse

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leasing a Horse

Since there are a lot of CTD’s that haul around horse, I figured there would be enough horsemen on here to answer my question. I have a QH mare I was getting ready to have bred (running horse lines), when someone offered to buy her. I am not interested in selling her, so he asked if I was interested in leasing her so he could breed her to a stud he knows well; he really likes her bloodlines. I hadn’t thought about a lease option, but it would save me a stud fee this year, feed bill for the next 15 months (big financial relief for me), and it would keep my mare from having too much of a break (she layed off last year). I am not familiar with broodmare leasing, but what are some of the good and bad things with it? Obviously I am concerned with her care, looking at replacement value if complications, and I am strongly considering having her returned in foal with the above stud as payment for the lease. I know all of lease details should be clearly spelled out in a contract that allows for no assumptions so I am trying to get a contract “go-by.” Thanks for the advice!

Matt
Old 04-05-2005, 09:52 PM

First thing I would do is check into this guy see how he is does he breed a lot, has your mare ever foaled before?, check out the barn the mare would be at, take a look at the stallion etc. Leasing can be nice to cut down on some horses and payments for a while. This could sound like a good deal if you think the mare will be well taken care of. How far away would she be where you live?
Make sure everything is written out in contract. Deffinately document everything.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:56 PM

I haven't leased a horse before but have alot of friends that have.All were calf horses so it's a different deal.But one thing I would recomend is insurance if you don't already have it on her.In the rodeo world you ride alot of different peoples horses and you need to be covered in case something was to happen.Same in your deal.And its really not all that high.So,that would be my recomendation on the deal.Good luck!
Old 04-05-2005, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are currently looking at leasing a horse out for a kid to show for the summer.

Makes me a tick nervous but said horse probably won't get used that much otherwise, and the Leeser is a Veterinarian so that makes me a little more comfortable.

Also depends on what it is going to pay.....
Old 04-06-2005, 07:01 AM

Matt
I would check out the facilities where she would be kept. If he has any other horses, check to see how well they are cared for. Try to cover all the bases to assure your mare will be returned in good shape. You know how easy it is to have a horse get injured, or sick. I am also sure you have seen folks that don't have a clue about how to care for or handle a horse properly.

Make sure it is the way you want to go and then cover all the bases. If you look into insurance, make sure it will pay if the mare is under someone elses care.

hth
wayne
Old 04-06-2005, 11:53 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Thats a fairly common arangment actually...
Leasing a mare for breeding...
A few key points:
1) have a WRITTEN lease... the ole days of a word and handshake are gone
2) be very clear about who is resposible for what in regards to medical care, feed, farrier,
and replacement of the mare if she should become injured or ill during the lease period in a way that makes her unsuitable for your planned future use if her.
3) the term of the lease, and if the lease will be extended should she fail to deliver a live viable foal. ( simillar to a live foal garauntee)
4) Boarding arrangments... will she be kept at your place or at the leasors? If at yours, what is your reponsibility should she loose the foal?
A good equine attorney should be able to help you out with a lease agreement, there are several out there. PM me if you need a referal to one.
Chris
RedHawk Stables Foundation Quarter Horses
Breeding, Sales and Training
Old 04-06-2005, 12:39 PM

Another item that should be defined in the lease is a termination clause. It should be clearly defined when and how the lease can be terminated. You want to be stuck in a lease that is not what you expected.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:00 PM

Thanks for all of the good points! I just sold a yearling from my mare to him and he is very interested in the mare. I have seen the stallion and he looks to be well taken care of; he is in the last crop from Dash for Cash. I have not yet seen the farm where the mare will reside at, but it sounds like he and I have very similar beliefs on horse care. My primary concern is the well-being of my mare. Good call on the termination clause--something I will definately consider.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:15 PM

A Dash bred horse would be neat for sure.

If you are leary, stay away. Or put a good price on the mare and offer to sell her outright. Or work out a partnership on the foal.

IE. He pays X dollars for the right to one foal + breeding costs, you own half the foal. or similar deal.

Or sell him a half interest in the mare.

Or flush the mare and sell him embryos.