Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Last power tool purchased?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Last power tool purchased?

Can I play? Last power tool purchased: Monarch CK lathe.<br><br>Routers: I like the Fein stuff too. The Dewalt revamp of the old Elu line isn't terrible. The Porter Cables at work are decently powerful in the big sizes, but the plunge mechanism is a little sloppy on mine. Best bang for the buck is probably the Hitatchi; lots of accesories come with it and price is real reasonable. Decent quality. (I do woodwork for a living)<br><br>Rob
Old 10-29-2002, 07:02 AM

14&quot; chop saw for cutting brick - bought a decent used one at the flea market from a pawn shop that sets up there on the weekends. The sunroom is in need of veneer and the sill cut on the bricks is much neater with a saw. There is only about 30 feet of windows to provide a sill for - looks like lots of red dust in the shower in the near future.<br><br>Kinda wish I had talked the CFO into letting me get a wet saw but then she would expect me to brick the curved flower beds instead of using the stackable edgers.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:54 AM

Just &quot;Re-drilled&quot;. New 14.4V Fire-storm drill. Beats the crap out of my old 12V Dewalt.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:11 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

[quote author=blackboat link=board=10;threadid=6347;start=15#58647 date=1035860288]<br>Can I play? Last power tool purchased: Monarch CK lathe.<br><br>Routers: I like the Fein stuff too. The Dewalt revamp of the old Elu line isn't terrible. The Porter Cables at work are decently powerful in the big sizes, but the plunge mechanism is a little sloppy on mine. Best bang for the buck is probably the Hitatchi; lots of accesories come with it and price is real reasonable. Decent quality. (I do woodwork for a living)<br><br>Rob<br>[/quote]<br><br>Ive been looking hard at a Hitachi or Bosch. When I get both houses remodeled I want to make some furniture and shelves. Got a Husqvarna 372xp with Alaska Mill for making lumber out of logs. Got access to oak, pine, aspen, some maple. You ever do much drying? What area you in?<br><br>Don
Old 11-01-2002, 08:45 PM

Hi Don, Done a little bit of air drying on some odd lots; basically use the old 1 year per inch of thickness rule of thumb, although this can be pushed pretty good on some softwoods. Only done this on free/salvage lumber of odd species; never played with a kiln. Obviously that would speed things up. At work most of our lumber is bought from different suppliers. We're in Atlanta, GA.<br><br>Rob
Old 11-01-2002, 09:00 PM

Just picked up a Granberg Mini Mill for the chainsaw today. Gonna make some nice beams for the new front porch.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:40 AM

Bought a Delta 12&quot; table saw about 4 months ago, but finally putting it together today. Now I can make some Christmas presents.<br><br>...now if I only had a router. Was thinking the Porter Cable 2 1/2 hp plunge with variable speed. Never heard of Fein or that other one. Where do you get one of those, and how much do they cost?
Old 12-24-2002, 11:53 AM

Just got my router for Christmas. I got the Bosch 2hp combo with case. Came with a nice edge guide set up for vacuum attachment. Gonna do some more hunting for router tables.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:02 PM

Last week a Milwaukee 3/8 inch angled drill.<br>Already have: Milwaukee 1/2 inch HD drill, Milwaukee drywall gun, Dewalt 1/2 inch 18 Volt drill, Hilti TE24 drill, Kango hammer drill, Dewalt 18 Volt 4 inch saw, Dewalt 7 1/2 framing saw, Dewalt 12 inch trim saw, Milwawkee Sawzall, Delta 8 inch contractor's saw, Dewalt orbital sander, Porter Cable palm sander, Dewalt belt sander, Porter Cable hole cutout saw, Dewalt laminate trimmer, Dewalt biscuit joiner, Porter Cable 1/2 hp router combo, Dewalt 12 1/2 inch planer, Porter Cable brad nailer, Campbell Hausfield 2 1/2 hp compressor, Campbell Hausfiled tankless bench top compressor, Honda 1800 EZ generator, Honda 1000 generator (have had this one a few years now), maybe a few more odds and ends I can't think of right now. All in the last 3 years (house reno). Still want: a 6 Delta inch jointer, a decent Delta drill press, a good Delta cabinet saw, a good dovetail jig (from Lee Valley) and a decent router table. A shop would be good too. And now to convince Santa.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:11 PM

A cheap Ryobi 7.2 volt cordless drill, came with about 20 different bits and a charger and batteries. The best part was I only paid $25 for it at Home Depot. It works good for driving screws when I've got a drill bit chucked in my 18 volt Dewalt. I just couldn't pass up a good deal like that. 8)<br><br>Oh yea, You can never have too many [shadow=black, 4, 300]POWER TOOLS[/shadow] <br><br>DB
Old 12-27-2002, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Pat-3500 link=board=10;threadid=6347;start=15#84595 date=1040788979]<br>Last week a Milwaukee 3/8 inch angled drill.<br>[/quote]<br><br>That is one handy tool. I bought one of those used about 3 years ago, and even though I don't use it every day, sometimes it's the only tool that will work. I'm doing the same thing you are, completely renovating a house. Except for the roof, the gutters, and the HVAC system, we've done every bit of the work ourselves. My most recent buy was an Impulse 16ga finish nailer to go along with the Impulse framer I bought last year.