Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lane splitting to be legal in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
last time i checked my bike did not have a radiator, intercooler, or air conditioning. sitting at idle in traffic is not healthy for man or machine in florida. your progress in traffic is limited to the size of your vehicle. pedestrians and bicyclists etc. are free to circumvent traffic- what next guys that ride trikes crying that they are left out of the lane splittin' club?
Old 08-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by docrob
last time i checked my bike did not have .... air conditioning.
You just stated the #1 reason I'll never buy a motorcycle!!

Actually, I guess that's not valid reasoning. Bass boats don't have air conditioning either and I certainly intend to get one of those in the next couple of years.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by BigBlue
So is it illegal to open your door and accidentally hit one of these people? Officer, I was just stepping out to stretch my legs and next thing I know this bike slammed into my door.
If so, it should also legal to see if the driver that just opened his door trying to cause me to wreck will fit through the keyhole in his car door.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:27 PM

Lane splitting isn't legal here but if it was it definately wouldn't bother me. I would be a little jealous but more power to 'em. In fact, if it became legal I would seriously consider getting a bike again.

If someone put me down with their car door, they better hope I die
Old 08-29-2005, 04:39 PM

Lane splitting in Texas. Hmmm ya for crazy riders...

It'll be nice till someone hit's one of us 2 wheel types. I think about splitting lanes but just concerned that some driver wants me to follow him so much he'll open a door??? Maybe give me a free soot shower??? LOL

Ya I'll wait and see how the whole thing works out...

-CM
Old 08-29-2005, 04:49 PM

I do ride an air cooled bike, and it gets mighty cranky sitting in traffic for a long time on a hot summer day (and it doesn't even get that hot up here) ..

Washington used to have a law that said air cooled vehicles could use the shoulder to circumvent traffic on hot days if it could be done safely. I think there was too much room for interpretation in that law though, and it no longer exists.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Splitting lanes never bothered me one bit.

People do it all the time in California.

I do think that there should be a law making mufflers optional for motorcycles, though.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Begle1
Splitting lanes never bothered me one bit.

People do it all the time in California.

I do think that there should be a law making mufflers optional for motorcycles, though.
California is the only place I've seen it with regularity, freaked me out the first time one went buzzing by me, almost made me plow into the car next to me.

Is it legal there though?
I thought it wasn't, but was one of those things that wasn't enforced with regularity.

Texas going through the trouble to put it on the books is just screwey though.

I don't see myself doing it if it were legal here.
I don't ride much in traffic anyway, as my work hours bypass rush hour.

phox
Old 08-29-2005, 06:13 PM

Please, NO.

I've actually had to move because of obnoxiously loud motorcycles. At a previous residence (recently built apartment building with excellent insulation), there was a restaurant nearby that, every wednesday, hosted a get together for the local HD owners group.

Every Wed, between about 6 and 8 PM, I couldn't even watch TV, with the windows closed and the blinds drawn. The noise was SO obnoxious, it was not even funny. I used to be a fan of loud exhaust, especially a nice V8 with glass packs or turbo mufflers. I liked the sound of Harleys too.. Now, I can't stand it.

There are also a lot of V-twin owners with missing mufflers in the neighborhood I live in now, and some of them love to power up the hill right in front of my house at full throttle. I can often FEEL the resonance sitting in my couch.

Metric bikes with the muffler delete option are just as obnoxious, but you see it much less than on the American makes.

"Loud pipes save lives"? I've yet to figure that one out.. Usually, any threat is going to be in front of or directly to the side of you.. (someone turning left, right, crossing the road, etc). The noise is directed to the rear of you. How does that help? Maybe from folks rearending you when your stopped at a light or in traffic, but if you're stopped, you are likely idling, and there still isn't that much noise. Especially not enough to get the attention of some idiot flying up behind you not paying attention..
Old 08-29-2005, 06:30 PM

Lets see 30,000 dollor, 850lb harley + 250lbs man, against 100 dollor, 50lb door with two .25in pins holding it on. AT 20ish mph, You better be a big big man to open that door in front of me. I'm not a big fan of lane split'n anyway, I have done it once or twice to get to the exit two or three cars up"and it would never pass in VA", I rather cut mine off, get off lean up against her and stare blankly at the little punk with his windows up trying not to make eye contact with me.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:07 PM

Why does it bother so many people? I think it is envy! I have been riding to work for 15 years. I have had people open doors, close in on the lane, honk, yell and cuss at me. In Kalifornia it is legal to lane split, get a bike you can save the traffic aggravation to. But please don’t take your aggravation out on me because you are stuck in traffic!

You lose nothing by letting a rider go past you in heavy traffic NOTHING!

That said not all of us are doing endos and wheelies or driving like mad men over 100mph on the freeway. I ride a dirt bike that will not go more than 75mph, I ride safe and take advantage of the laws that apply to riding.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:43 PM

I say if its legal go for it. i have had bikes in the past and hope to have more in the future. I live in a rural agicultiral area where lane splitting is abought as worthless as ***** on a bore. there are no lanes to split but if i where to be in a town with more thatn one lane ad trafic where to somehow get backed up i would definatly be headed around the mess. As far as opening dores, you better hope I dont get up because you will be going down if i do.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by cheff
Why does it bother so many people? I think it is envy!
I think you got it, lane splitting on the LA freeways is a thrill for sure

Don't come to Denver, just on the TV a couple weeks ago, Denver cops enforcing noise laws reguarding bikers
Old 08-29-2005, 08:24 PM

I actually use the opposite effect of lane splitting with a motorcycle. Bikes do it because they can fit through but have to fear the other driver. I make great time through traffic with my Ram because I have no fear when I'm behind the wheel of a 7000 lb, $500 truck. People in Mercedes and Lexus's usually move when they see me coming! I was once stopped in traffic with an old Suzuki Samurai. A guy in the left lane in a BMW was trying to pull in in front of me (even though I was slightly ahead of him...he was trying to make room). Every time he moved up an inch I moved up an inch. When it was clear he was going to get in front of me whether I liked it or not, I yelled over to him "I paid $400 for this thing...do you think I care if I bang it up???" He backed off real quick. I think thats when he noticed all the trail damage to it, and figured I meant what I said...which I did.

Jim
Old 08-30-2005, 12:13 AM

I lane split every chance I get , it is legal in Kalifornia.... but I do it with care. and I have been purposely cut in front of my bike. I dont hesitate to smash that guys mirror either. I once had a Dodge with a trailer full of dirt bikes try to cut me off once, and he was laughing with his buddies in the truck , but the light change red and I parked right in front of him and got off the bike, and you should have seen the look on his face then and trying to get the window up and lock the door. I just laughed and got back on the bike and on my way...... it was priceless.

Quick Reply: Lane splitting to be legal in Texas