Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lady parks on my yard. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by floatingpower
I can't believe this thread has gone on for eight pages--actually I'm amazed that I have continued to read it. Are you people just having a good time and are really not serious about all of this payback stuff? If this is not the case and you are really serious, is this really an appropriate, mature response? You can read in the papers all too often about such as this that ends up in violent encounters with injuries and deaths. Maybe I just don't understand Georgia culture.
So what would you propose?? Maybe just shoot her and get it over with??
Old 05-23-2005, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
__________________________________________________ _________________________
Originally posted by floatingpower
I can't believe this thread has gone on for eight pages--actually I'm amazed that I have continued to read it. Are you people just having a good time and are really not serious about all of this payback stuff? If this is not the case and you are really serious, is this really an appropriate, mature response? You can read in the papers all too often about such as this that ends up in violent encounters with injuries and deaths. Maybe I just don't understand Georgia culture.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

Are you kidding?

Actually,this has been one of my favorite threads OF ALL TIME...I loved reading all the different ways people would deal with this problem.

Georgia culture has nothing to do with it...I can just imagine what my "nut-ball" brothers and sisters would have done to this lady if she had done this to our lawn, in my neighborhood...in the south suburbs of Chicago...

Vinny
Old 05-23-2005, 08:44 PM

JyRO

I would like to apologize about the “Georgia culture” remark. Actually, I am well aware that replies to your thread are from states in every region and I should have made it clear that that was a tongue-in-cheek remark. I have learned to live with plenty of uncomplimentary remarks about my state that were dead serious and I don’t really appreciate them; besides, for five years, I used to live a hundred yards from the GA state line in East Ridge, TN, so I do know Georgia people and count quite a few as friends. I guess my point was that IMO, this ain’t no big deal. From what I know about public rights-of-way and what I have read here, it looks like she is not parked legally. It also looks like where she is parking is not your property. However, I sympathize with you as you are maintaining it. I said in my first post that I sympathized with you and offered what I thought were some constructive ideas to deal with the problem. I have the same situation where I live. People sometimes park in my ditch, and throw trash in my ditch. From the woman’s note which you quoted here, she seemed (to me) to feel threatened. Now I know that may not make much sense that that could be a dangerous situation, but stranger things have happened. Do you know what kind of person her husband is?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JyRO said on 05-12-2005 03:27 PM

Fellers - Help me out here. Help me make a rational decision here before I do something (too) rash. I'm open for any and all suggestions. I'm open for any and all suggestions. I've been thinking about taking the CTD down to her yard and letting the 2 front wheels and the weight of the Cummins to do their thing in her yard. But heck, for all I know, if I met her husband, he and I could be good buds, and I don't want to be so immature and make an enemy when there is no need. Help me out here guys, she's making me pull my hair out.

Should I just leave it alone?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In this post, you said that “I’m open to any and all suggestions.” I responded on 5-12-05 with the following:

"I really do sympathize with you but life is really too short for little wars like this. I mean no offense but I have been through similar experiences with neighbors. A few things come to mind. Like several others said, find out where your property line is. In my state (Texas), every time real property is sold, a survey must be made and corners marked with iron rods (rebar). You should have received a copy of this survey when you went to closing at the time of purchase. In my state, easements are only granted to utilities and sometimes to adjoining property owners who have no direct access to their property. In this state, public roadways are owned by local or state government and include the entire right-of-way consisting of the maintained surface for vehicular traffic and the adjacent shoulders and drainage provisions.

If your neighbor is parking on the right-of-way, the traffic laws of the state and or local jurisdictions determine if she is legally parked. If she is parked on your property, she is trespassing. If that is the case, perhaps one more attempt to explain the legality of her actions to her may be in order. Do you have a neighborhood association that could referee this? If that does not work, you have no other options except to involve law enforcement (there can be blowback from this), fence your property across the front, or just grin and bear it. In a couple of years the kid will be embarrassed to have his mommy drive him to the bus stop. They may not even live there anymore--people move a lot these days.

Good luck with your decision"

YOU NEVER ACKNOWLEDGED THAT POST, BUT YOU DID ACKNOWLEDGE MY SECOND POST. BTW, I don’t think it is likely that she is going to “want to” quit parking on the right-of-way that you are taking care of. If she cared about being a good neighbor, she would be parking somewhere else when she became aware that you objected.

I would like now to respond to a couple of other members who made reference to my second post.
Hoss said on 5-23-05:

So what would you propose?? Maybe just shoot her and get it over with??

I see the wink at the end of this question but I did propose something on 5-12
Vinny said on 5-23-05:

Are you kidding?

Actually,this has been one of my favorite threads OF ALL TIME...I loved reading all the different ways people would deal with this problem.

Georgia culture has nothing to do with it...I can just imagine what my "nut-ball" brothers and sisters would have done to this lady if she had done this to our lawn, in my neighborhood...in the south suburbs of Chicago...
Again though after everyone is through laughing, JyRO really does want this to go away. I think.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Banned

You all sound like a bunch of girls. Out here we would have hooked the truck up to her bumper and dragged her SUV p.o.s. into the next town...
Old 05-23-2005, 09:33 PM

Sorry i only got 1/2 wya through the posts before i made this reply. Just have the PD come down and park there. In "her spot" and then they can tell her this is city property and she has no right to park there. Because (city) property is not public property
Old 05-23-2005, 11:50 PM
Banned

Okay here is a great Idea. talk to the other local kids and talk them into teasing the kid about having his mommy drive him to the bus stop. he's bound to tell mommy he doesnt need a ride anymore..
Old 05-23-2005, 11:59 PM

A less drastic one, when she sohws up have a couple buddies park in front and behind her, boxing her in, then all of you go inside for a beer or 10. however, you'll have more tracks in the yard, but its all cool since no one owns that part of land.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:25 AM

Maybe you ought to just pick that time of day to pick dandelions and park your truck with the soot pipe pointed in her direction. Let it idle with your fast idle stick (you do have one??) while you mess around in the grass.

Else maybe you can park there first. ..with fast idle stick of course.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:54 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
My 'cross the pond advice:
(Maybe not applicable on your side of the Atlantic)
Be very courteous, do everything in writing, do not near her vehicle and avoid everything that could be considered a threat. (So blocking her path with other vehicles can't be good)
If the area is not to be parked on by any law, ordinance, regulation etc do not park there yourself. (Could be a bad situation if anybody calls the cops to investigate and find you offending against a law.)
Arm yourself with to the dot knowledge of all the laws and regulation applicable for this certain patch of land and the operation/stationing of a vehicle thereon. You will have to follow these rules to the point.
If these regulations prohibit the use of the area in question either get a lawyer to write the letter to courteusly! inform her of the fact(s) including the relevant texts and sources or do so yourself. Mail the letter in a traceable form, you should at least get a signed delivery notification.
Do not pose any threat in this letter.
If the property does not belong to you, find out the owner and inform him about the facts too.
(In that case doing any modifications to the property could get you into troubles)
Courteously ask the local PD about the situation and inform them of the facts.
If you've got a leg to stand on legally this should sort it out.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 05-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Banned

... besides, for five years, I used to live a hundred yards from the GA state line in East Ridge, TN, so I do know Georgia people and count quite a few as friends.
floatingpower - For 25 years I lived 1,050 yards (~0.6 miles) from the TN. state line in Ringgold, GA. Just across the state line from East Ridge, TN. I have a multitude of friends and family that remain in that area. Including my parents.

- JyRO
Old 05-24-2005, 09:55 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One more idea How about you find some of the cast fron Dileverence to include the kid with the banjo and have them hanging out in your front yard the first day of school??
Old 05-24-2005, 09:59 AM
Banned

I'm not planning on doing anything that she could consider a threat. I'm not actually planning on facing her with this issue again. I'll reiterate, not planning.

I will be doing something though, but it will not be anything more than having information provided to her through a city office perhaps. Depending on how that information is followed, that may be the end of it. I hope so.

I haven't met her husband, but I do think I have waved at him a few times when I've been out mowing the grass. I'm not positive it was him, but everyone *seems* friendly enough. At least until someone is politely requested to discontinue damaging another's property ... then the friendliness goes right out the window.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Banned

Hey! dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the swetty stuff!....whats the worse thing thats gonna happen?? your present course will land you in court for some error.....leave it all alone and it will go away all by itself fast.....like the next grade he is in??? or put up a gate or fence or somthin.......do not go to her level,just makes for two picky weird people on the block instead of one.........m.o.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:22 PM

i thought it was dont sweat the petty stuff, always pet the sweaty stuff
Old 05-26-2005, 11:39 PM

you said you own a 5er..... park it out there with your truck...... that will take up all the necessary space...... end of problem.......

I had a person that didnt like looking at my truck parked in front of his house (county road).... he left me letters, ran the sprinkler on it, etc. I told him to quit doing that and I would continue to park there. Even had the sheriff come tell him the same thing (and to leave me alone).... I now park out there, and if I am only going to be a short while, i set the high idle up around 2000 rpm with the soot pipe pointed at his house...... no more problems....... he just sits on a lawn chair in his driveway with earmuffs on...... i get really ugly looks from him all the time now

Quick Reply: Lady parks on my yard. What to do?