Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lady parks on my yard. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im personally liking the idea of her getting stuck there; and having to walk back to the house to call a truck to get her out. If the SUV is 4wd though; then it will be a lot harder to do that to the point it wouldnt be worth it. 2wd is good though. Of course; im sure there are all kinds of wemen(and men for that matter) who have 4wd SUV's thast couldnt begin to tell you how to engage it. This is a pretty tough one to deal with without going to extreme.

On Edit: Go get you 4 iron fence posts, and run about 3 strands of regular wire all the way across your front yard till she gets the picture. If you take it down, and she starts doing it again. Its ALL fair game at that point.

Eric
Old 05-12-2005, 10:19 PM

i would take all the dog crap i could find and line it up in that rut!

try and get the nice gooey stuff, sticks much better
Old 05-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Call the local Law Enforcement and see what they suggest, all this other stuff like weed killer and roofing nails is really bad advice....funny but not practical. Bottom line is she is your neighbor and you need to find a peaceful resolution you both can live with

I have been at odds with neighbors and it isn't something I want to have to live through again, bad stuff for everyone involved.

Good luck and remember it is only some tire tracks in the grass, hardly worth all the effort it has already been given here, considering what is truly important in life.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about your state, but up here in Alaska we have a deal called, "Towed at owners expense". Call your local law enforcement and ask them they will know. Basically you call a wrecker and say I have a vrhicle that needs towed at owners expense, they come hook it up and haul it away, find the owner and charge them. Perfectly legal up here. All the dog poo or nails and hoopla sounds fun, but in the end you will probly have to pay for it out of your pocket, I know sounds crazy but it's true in this day and age.

Curt
Old 05-12-2005, 11:46 PM

You need a new sign in front of your yard "NO PARKING FROM HERE TO CORNER" my neighbor did this and it works fine. You may have to look around town for one.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:14 AM

Got to be real careful dealing with "others". We now have very serious laws on the books called "Hate Crime". It is a felony and something that really draws attention to the P.C. crowd. Local and AP news might be all over it. If she does the things she is doing to you now, I have no doubt she would love to pull the "Race Card" on you. Then look out. As others have stated get the law involved. I know that you should not have to but lets face it things are going to HE double hockey sticks in a hurry. As Rodney King once said. "Cant we all just get along"
Old 05-13-2005, 12:52 AM

The mud thing sounds fun, but guess what, unless it has been monsoon season, if she snaps an axel or anything while digging out of your yard. Unfortunatly she can stick you with the bill citing "improper lawn care". Been there done that.

I dont know how things work down there but up here in good ole KANATA, we can do something that is real fun. Document the time spent on the lawn. EG. 10 mins per morning. Take pictures, then charge her 10 bucks/hour too rent the space. At the end of the month send her the bill. At 25 school days per month at 10 minutes a day that is roughly 40 bucks. Send her the bill. If she doesnt pay charge her 18.99% interest on all outstanding debts. After 3 months of not recieving payment. You can then file suit in court to have it payed, if she refuses it appears on her credit report. Then she is screwed for life. Simple as that. BEEN HERE DONE THIS

We also have the towed at owners expense. Put up a sign that states NO TRESPASSING, ALL TRESPASSERS WILL BE REMOVED AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE. So that way when you hook on to her and snap her driveshaft it is her expense.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:46 AM

Just line up some trafic cones about every 10 feet. That should stop her without being "nasty" towards her.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
A few things I would like to point out.

Jyro, you have written proof of her intent to continue parking in your yard after you spoke with her (the note in your mailbox). If I were you I would make several copies of this document and have the original notarized to make it official.

One thing on easements, I believe that easements are only for local government and utility use only, like if the power company had to work on power lines running on your property, I don't think that that the general public can use the easements.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:36 AM

I would rent a post-hole auger and strategically place 4 or 5 large wooden posts along the area. Turn it into a decorative fence for your yard and keep the lady out.

Photo's with a camera that puts the time / date on the picture might help the case if she persists.

Call the law just to start the formal documenting. She'll get the point when they pay her a visit.

PISTOL
Old 05-13-2005, 06:57 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Unfortunately, she is probably right. You'd have to look up the measurements for your local area, but the right-of-way is measured from the center of the road, and is maintained by the road commission out to the width. So if you put any obstruction there, they'll more than likely order it removed. People are free to groom and maintain this area, property lines actually usually run to the center of the road too, you are just limited to the use of the area. We have similar issues come up all the time with snowmobilers. They have the right-of-way, but property owners put up obstructions right out to the shoulder, and end up getting told to remove them. If any vehicle hit them, they could get sued. The roofing nail idea has always been a classic, but you already established intent when she tells on you, plus you may need to park there once. Maybe a sprinkler or a smelly trash can would be the most effective. Otherwise, put down a patch of nice looking wood chips, put a parking sign up with her name on it. Might try your township to establish a no parking zone though.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:21 AM

Ask her to park in drive way to drop her child off. Does her child have a handicap or is she just a over protective mother. Things like this will drive you nuts if you let them and no one wins. Put landscape gravel down with 5 acres to mow for me it would be nice to lose some , I mow 4. Make a friend not and enemy it is harder to do and a bigger challenge. With all bad things happening to kids these days I can understand a parents trying to protect thier child. You are not the bad guy she is but thier may be more to the story that you do not see. Giving up a little of Gods earth to help a mother protect her child may look good on your records when the finial day comes.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:31 AM

If they lady is married, go talk to the man of the house. And be polite about it, if that doesn't work. Call the police, she could be a visiual imparment to the intersection parked there. Good luck...
Old 05-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by John Halter
Ask her to park in drive way to drop her child off.
Great idea........
If she's parking there at a time that it doesn't interfere with you getting in or out, you'd be "killing her with kindness" and saving your grass at the same time.............
Old 05-13-2005, 10:43 AM

JyRO
You're in a tuff situation. You're trying to be civil and she's not. All jokes aside you do not want to get yourself into a situation that will cause you to be sued over or become the bad guy because of wrong actions on your part. ie... Nails, glass, parking in her yard & clay mores, although funny are not the right things to do. As for the nails, I can only see it you being sued for 45k (Dog kills cat post) for damaging her property with your "lost" nails. It seem to me that you need to do all of "your" legal home work so that you know where "you" stand in the city/county with easement issues. Then let the local authorities handle it. Lets try to keep the race thing out of it as that is not always the case. Some people are just difficult or combative by nature. Has nothing to do with race. As for the "Hate crime " comment, he's right that could go south real fast and in turn would have you looking like the "bad guy".

I'm in a situation right now. My neighbor is a "puddle jumper" Coastie and is rarely at home, his wife is French and while he is gone she goes back to France. She always states "the local lawn service companies want to much and when husband cuts the yard he makes a mess". She's looking for someone to cut amd maintain a 1/2 acre for $20.00. I live on a private road mine being at the end of it along with 2 other homes on seperate 1/2 acre tracks. It takes me almost 4-5 hrs to do my yard correctly. My neighbors lawn gets 1/2 cut only once a month or so, does'nt weed eat, edge or try to maintain it in accordance with the covenance rules. And when he does cut, he hacks (cuts way too low) up a small portion of my yard along side of my rock river bed that joins our yards. I don't feel he is doing it on purpose as I've seen the way he cuts in person. I do believe he is not in the know of the rules in place, because the person he bought the home from may not have provided him with the rules and agreements. I am at the point now that I am going to print out 2 copies of the rules and place one in both of my neighbors mail boxes. So everyone is on the same page. I will also talk to him when I see him again and explain my greef with his hacking up my yard. He seems like a sensible gentalman, so I will remain civil as long as he does.

Good luck
Keep us informed.

Quick Reply: Lady parks on my yard. What to do?