Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lady parks on my yard. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 05:28 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ususally don't go this route, but I'm going to agree with Shovel. Call the Law, even if just to get a fresh opinion on the topic. The real basics of the situation are this.
1) YOU pay your property taxes, therefore I'm not too keen on her Utility Easement idea. That is meant for the town/city/county (or) electric/water/phone company to use if needed. I don't see them parking a truck out there 5 day's a week.
2) Your last post DOES have bearing on the situation (unfortunate as it is). That kind of thing is not going to change in our lifetime. Really no matter what you do, it's gonna be tainted with racism in her eyes.
3) There is an side of this that no one has addressed yet. Liability, this might be talking it a bit far but.........
Say she were to be injured while on your property, you are going to wish you had done something(like one of the previous suggestions). Homeowners is Joke these days, they are looking for a reason to raise your rates or drop you.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At this point you've tried to be polite about it twice. I'd call the cops, much as it would burn me to do it. Pretty much anywhere you go there is an easment for utility and city use on the edge of YOUR property nearest the road. The width varies. I guess at this point she could call me purple, racist, or late for supper, I would have had it with her. If the law won't do anything about it, then maybe you can think about something more "drastic", but that wouldn't be a good idea probably, being as how you've actually been face to face with her twice, and would have called the cops about it at this point.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by pjsnyder76

3) There is an side of this that no one has addressed yet. Liability, this might be talking it a bit far but.........
Say she were to be injured while on your property, you are going to wish you had done something(like one of the previous suggestions). Homeowners is Joke these days, they are looking for a reason to raise your rates or drop you.
Ummm... guess you didn't read all the posts. I mentioned the liability issue. She probably won't get injured sitting all safe in her SUV, but her kid getting out and walking across the lawn is a different story.

(sometimes you just gotta toot your own horn! )
Old 05-12-2005, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very large moss rocks or boulders are used in landscaping all the time and the city/county would never say a thing.

I had a similar problem with my mailbox being bashed until I put up a 1/4" thick steel winch mounting plate in front of the mailbox with my address on it. I then went into the aluminum baseball bat recycling business
Old 05-12-2005, 07:06 PM

I like the nails idea..... but then you'd have a tow truck on your yard too. LOL
Old 05-12-2005, 07:24 PM

In some states it is against the law to park within 25 feet of a stop sign or 30 feet from a corner.
This may be in your favor.
Hoagie
Old 05-12-2005, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personaly I would call the cops and if they said there is nothing they can/will do, I would get a bottle of Roundup and at abought 3 am spray the first 15 feet of her lawn. Just keep your mouth shut abought it and pay for the roundup with cash. Spray it on real heavy to make sure nothing is going to grow there the rest of the year. On the long term I would make sure to reaply every spring. If its gona be a war might as well be a good one.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:39 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Easy Joel, were not talking Real Estate here, Down Boy!!
I missed your grand thoughts. With everyone posting 3 + paragraphs at a time, I miss some stuff here.
He needs to try something thats for sure. What if the bus hits her car and she fly's out onto his lawn like pretzel? Now then, with the way insurance companies are these day's I'm sure they'd find a way to litigate him into the mess.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:40 PM

Since you have a nice big dog you ought to run him down there every morning and every opportunity to leave his "business card" in the area. Junior stepping in some "stuff' or dragging it home on the tires might get the message.

Landscaping timber is the universal cure for this elswhere.

Otherwise photos and the cops are about the only answer.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:29 PM

I really do sympathize with you but life is really too short for little wars like this. I mean no offense but I have been through similar experiences with neighbors. A few things come to mind. Like several others said, find out where your property line is. In my state (Texas), every time real property is sold, a survey must be made and corners marked with iron rods (rebar). You should have received a copy of this survey when you went to closing at the time of purchase. In my state, easements are only granted to utilities and sometimes to adjoining property owners who have no direct access to their property. In this state, public roadways are owned by local or state government and include the entire right-of-way consisting of the maintained surface for vehicular traffic and the adjacent shoulders and drainage provisions.

If your neighbor is parking on the right-of-way, the traffic laws of the state and or local jurisdictions determine if she is legally parked. If she is parked on your property, she is trespassing. If that is the case, perhaps one more attempt to explain the legality of her actions to her may be in order. Do you have a neighborhood association that could referee this? If that does not work, you have no other options except to involve law enforcement (there can be blowback from this), fence your property across the front, or just grin and bear it. In a couple of years the kid will be embarrassed to have his mommy drive him to the bus stop. They may not even live there anymore--people move a lot these days.

Good luck with your decision
Old 05-12-2005, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by bkrukow
I would get a bottle of Roundup and at abought 3 am spray the first 15 feet of her lawn. Just keep your mouth shut abought it and pay for the roundup with cash. Spray it on real heavy to make sure nothing is going to grow there the rest of the year. On the long term I would make sure to reaply every spring.
I wouldn't kill the whole patch of her grass. Write dirty words in the yard with it. My garndpa did that to a neighbor he didn't get along with, when he was still young. He used fertilizer though. Lasted several years.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by bmoeller
I wouldn't kill the whole patch of her grass. Write dirty words in the yard with it. My garndpa did that to a neighbor he didn't get along with, when he was still young. He used fertilizer though. Lasted several years.

I wasn't going to mention this tactic, as it falls under "drastic" in my opinion, but it is a good one.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:21 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
make it really soft there, rototill in a pile of sand and soft soil all along the road and keep it wet. don't be subtle about it either. once you plant new grass over top you'll never have a problem again, ok maybe cleaning up the mess once a car or two sinks in there, like you said she has to not want to park there (nor any one else) once they face a tow bill or two they won't want to park there again. (be sure to make her walk back to her house to call the truck...)
Old 05-12-2005, 09:39 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

drive thru her yard each day. .. feel free to lock in the 4wd and make sharp turns.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:50 PM

I understand that you want to keep the peace in the neighborhood. Its unfortunate that she feels that she is entitled to use your little patch of land and not respect your property. Anything you do that other neighbors can see probably won't look good on you and appear to be petty. Perhaps you could contact the city/county zoning or planning dept on the sly before you contact the police. Find out for certain just how much legal "edge of the road" she can or cannot use.

Its clear she does not mind being a southbound/nortbound, after you find out legally what you can/cannot do, you'll have to decide how big of one you want to be. It may be that legally she can park/stand there. Unfortunately it may come down to a spitting contest.

Doug

Quick Reply: Lady parks on my yard. What to do?