Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Kids Electric Ride-ons Plastic Tires. Grr!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kids Electric Ride-ons Plastic Tires. Grr!

My kids have several ride-on toys, and my in-laws want to get them a battery powered ride on that they both can ride in. They were looking at the arctic cat made by Power Wheels. It is supposed to have "extreme traction". But, all of these ride-ons have stupid plastic wheels. We have gravel, grass, and some asphalt for them to ride on and the plastic wears real fast and is crazy loud.

Have any of you done something different with these? I think most of them either have the motors turn on gears on the inside of the wheel, or have a keyed indention into the wheels so they'll turn. Otherwise, I think I would just put some pneumatic tires on one and be done with it. The only thing that I could think of that might work would be to wrap the plastic "tires" with some sort of rubber tread, but I don't know what.

I had them talked into a go-cart instead that we could speed control down, but I can't find one small enough for my 5 year old to drive that has 2 seats and isn't way more expensive than the power wheels.

Any ideas?
Old 06-22-2008, 12:42 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man I just love the internet

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/default.asp

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/f...?TOPIC_ID=3884

http://powerwheelscd.com/
Old 06-22-2008, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm saving that link! I saw some videos on there of some kids drifting a pretty sweet modified power wheels jeep!

I really didn't read much on that site, but unless they have some wheels you can put on I would've thought about wrapping the tires in rubber from an old inner tube and lacing it all together.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:13 AM

There are some vendors on E-Bay selling big rubber bands that wrap around the wheels for traction. They supposedly work well but I haven't bought any yet for the two PowerWheels that my kids have. I think they will tear the yard up worse if they have too good of traction....
Old 06-22-2008, 08:04 AM

Twenty year ago when my kids were small we got them a big foot power wheel, it wasn't worth much in the yard. I took an old bias ply snow tire that was worn out and cut the side wall off, then made caps and held them on with screws. Worked great and gave it a higher top speed at the time. the motor and battery didn't give us any problems.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:21 AM

I knew you guys would have something. Thanks for all the replies. Heading over to that link right now to check it out. You guys are AWESOME!