Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Keep fixing it or sell it? NEED EDUCATED RESPONSES - At the end of my rope.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep fixing it or sell it? NEED EDUCATED RESPONSES - At the end of my rope.

OK, this truck has been very good to me for the 2 years I've owned it.

Recdently, it seems I'm in the shop weekly for Trackbar, ball joints, u joints, 5th gear nut, pinion bearing, brakes, axle seal...

Now my axle seal on the rearend is blown and I need new brakes now.

Other than that, theres a few minor things...

Why should I keep an 11 year old truck?

Other than the engine - is it worth fixing this thing all the time?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
If it were me... I'd retire it as a DD and put it to pasture... make it a hobby, if I did not need it.

If I did... I'd sell it and go with newer. I've been part of an old vehicle... just a money pit...
Old 05-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how many miles?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by iker42
how many miles?
Prob'ly all of 'em!

I'd keep it and keep fixin' it... still cheaper than a truck payment.

chaikwa.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have to pay someone to work on a vehicle, then newer is better. Warranty if possible, if not at least fewer things should be worn out. In my opinion, either invest in some tools to be able to do the work yourself, or upgrade. Everything I own has more than 100k on it, but I can fix it for the price of parts only. I have access to a shop and have 15 years worth of collected tools that I used daily until my employer furnished them for me. They see a lot less use than before so they'll last even longer now! Truck has 165k on it and basically just had upgrades and the front end rebuilt. Recently bought a VW Jetta TDI that now has 196K on it. Again, though, I can do the work myself.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
If you have to pay someone to work on a vehicle, then newer is better. Warranty if possible, if not at least fewer things should be worn out. In my opinion, either invest in some tools to be able to do the work yourself, or upgrade. Everything I own has more than 100k on it, but I can fix it for the price of parts only. I have access to a shop and have 15 years worth of collected tools that I used daily until my employer furnished them for me. They see a lot less use than before so they'll last even longer now! Truck has 165k on it and basically just had upgrades and the front end rebuilt. Recently bought a VW Jetta TDI that now has 196K on it. Again, though, I can do the work myself.
I'm complaining about parts and downtime... Good friend is a mechanic.

I can't work on the engine though...

I won't even attempt it.

Good thing it has been A-1...
Old 05-20-2008, 09:13 PM

I had kind of same situation, had an 87 F-250 6.9L and put a clutch in it, then one thing or the other. I kept my old Ford, as it is still a good farm truck and bought my first new truck, an 06 QC Dually, and have not regretted it one little bit. However you may have a dilemma, would be cool to keep the 12 Valve, but it would probably bring a pretty good price. All these words to tell you to buy a newer low mile 5.9.

Last edited by nelrod; 05-20-2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by nelrod
I had kind of same situation, had an 87 F-250 6.9L and put a clutch in it, then one thing or the other. I kept my old Ford, as it is still a good farm truck and bought my first new truck, an 06 QC Dually, and have not regretted it one little bit. However you may have a dilemma, would be cool to keep the 12 Valve, but it would probably bring a pretty good price. All these words to tell you to buy a newer low mile 5.9.
I wouldn't get another diesel unless it was a mint 12 valve.

I don't trust the electronics and such.

Plus I don't have the money for a truck payment - construction is dead.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:27 PM

Can't blame you for not wanting the electronic crap.You are right not to trust it. Just read about a poor guy who has 2 new 08 Cummins and both are broken down now. My 33 year old ford backhoe cranks quicker than my 06 cummins with all the electronics. They do have awesome power though. Course a 12 V Bombed P-Pump does too.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Bullet

Recdently, it seems I'm in the shop weekly for Trackbar, ball joints, u joints, 5th gear nut, pinion bearing, brakes, axle seal...

All that is cheaper than a truck payment unless it is costing you that every month. 3rd Gen 5.9 CR are fine but they do have their own set of issues also.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Muted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at it this way...the repairs that you need to make will be an expense that you have rarely if the truck is maintained properly and not abused. Some of your repairs you're talking about are known weak links to the 2nd Gen trucks, so you have to expect to pay the piper sooner or later. Also, with a bombed truck, you can also expect to wear thigns out quicker.

From what you've described, you've replaced just about everything that can wear out in a normally used truck that's 11 years old. About the only things left are the driveshaft center carrier bearing (if equipped,) completely rebuilding the rear end, trannie rebuild, and engine rebuild if it comes to that. If you're truck has seen a lot of hard use, it might be smart to get the rear end rebuilt. The NV4500 is a stout trannie and I don't even need to comment on the toughness of the 12v Cummins.

The point is, fix the weak links and the things that could potentially go out. Once you have the truck fixed right it should last you a long time. And, all those repairs may cost you $5k but that's a hell of a lot cheaper than the $20k or more for a newer rig, and even more in interest if you finance it.

Keep the truck. Repairs are a lot cheaper than a new truck and a lot smarter than a new debt when the economy is taking a dump.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I wouldn't get another diesel unless it was a mint 12 valve.
You just answered it yourself. You don't really want a new truck, you want a nice 12 valve. You might as well spend a little bit on the one you already have and make it perfect.

I'm in the same boat. I don't really want a new truck, unless I can get one as reliable and cheap-to-run as my 96. So, I'll keep it forever, and try to fix the little things as they go wrong, so it doesn't become a beater. I also figure I'm better off spending $6k sprucing this one up than spending $40k on a new one.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:19 PM

a 97 12v... heck ya it's worth fixing!

everything you've named except fifth gear nut & pinion brg, is considered normal maintenance to me.

that is an awful lot to be fixing all at once.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Chapter President

Wink

Originally Posted by torquefan
You just answered it yourself. You don't really want a new truck, you want a nice 12 valve. You might as well spend a little bit on the one you already have and make it perfect.

I'm in the same boat. I don't really want a new truck, unless I can get one as reliable and cheap-to-run as my 96. So, I'll keep it forever, and try to fix the little things as they go wrong, so it doesn't become a beater. I also figure I'm better off spending $6k sprucing this one up than spending $40k on a new one.
I'll pile on too. I have just hit the mark for starting to replace things and its got me thinking too.. but the payments for a sortof new truck is hard to take when I know what I have to work with now. These $1K bills for front end repairs etc. are a monthly payment on a new one and this one makes me $ by the Km for using it for business. Just not worth it for me to switch up right now. I like having the older truck just as well and keeping up to all the new shiny stuff....LOL..
Old 05-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Banned

Fix it. You already have fixed most things.

Quick Reply: Keep fixing it or sell it? NEED EDUCATED RESPONSES - At the end of my rope.