Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Kaspersky Internet Security warningn

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kaspersky Internet Security warningn

BLOWS! Got to be the worst software on the market. Not only does it refuse to work, it killed my system.

I have been using KIS for a few years. My license expired, so I renewed. After two weeks of frustration, I couldn't get the new software to accept the new key code. Tried it on 3 different computers, too.

I contacted Kaspersky tech support. Their advice was RTFS, re-boot, and good luck.

I demanded a refund, which I got.

Then I un-installed the software, and that's where things went from bad to worse.

Now I don't have a mouse, and none of the keyboard windows commands work. The computer will boot up, but I can't access the system or any of the programs.

There are multiple fixes available. Kaspersky has a web page dedicated to this problem. They've know about it for years, but apparently refuse to fix it.

I have tried recover, disc restore, windows fix, even purchased commercial repair software. None of them have helped may. Today alone I'v wasted 3-4 hours trying to fix this. All to no avail.

I guess I'll take it in to a shop later this week and pay some one to edit the registry and get it fixed.

KASPERSKY INTERNET SECURITY BLOWS! whatever you do, don't buy it. You will probably regret it. I know I do.

Kaspersy Internet Security and Kaspersky antivirus have done more damage to my system than any virus I'v ever come in contact with.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:43 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's too bad. I actually had ok luck with them and only gave them up because of all the adds they flogged me with to buy the pay version.

What happens when you start the computer in Safe Mode?
The windows web site has some pretty good diagnostic tools if you can get it fired up in Safe Mode with internet.

Meanwhile, I am not promoting anything over an other since many products work really well but this is what I have been using for years.
Its all free programs and I never have problems with my system.

Windows (now Win7) with auto update on, ie explorer (latest version) and Microsoft Security Essentials (with auto update on).
I also run Secunia PSI V-3. Its a great program for keeping Apple and other non windows software patched and safe to use.
A lot of anti virus programs don't check them leaving you open for problems.

l also so run a Malwarebytes scan once a month. It has occasionally found minor things that MSE didn't care about.

I know I didn't help a bit.
Hope you can get your system booted up in Safe Mode and go from there.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
I'm finding that some so called anti-virus programs are actually spy ware viruses. Kaputsky and AVG, programs I've used are prime examples. Beware of such programs based in foreign countries, especially the old soviet blocks. It took me months to find and uproot all their little tentacles.
Extra food for thought? Think NSA/CIA. Yes, big brother is monitoring you.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I use eset nod 32 on my comps and haven't had any issues at all. Been using it since spring of 09. I would highly recommend anyone getting it. I'm super happy with that program
Old 12-27-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I second the eset product.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:10 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Hmmm, gotta wonder if .boB didn't pitch his computer out the window.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I've had many issues with the 2014 Norton Security I just installed. Lost password,usernames etc. Specifically clicked the statement asking if you want to retain settings and passwords etc. My wife's laptop really objected. My local nerd worked his magic on hers,but mine still acts up somewhat. I run a Malware program once a week and scan every other evening. No viruses yet.
I'm getting closer to getting a Mac next time.
Both are Windows 7 2013 model Dells.
These hackers need to get a life.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bark
Hmmm, gotta wonder if .boB didn't pitch his computer out the window.
Almost.

I messed with it for hours. Tried all kinds of things, even purchased some additional software that was supposed to fix any problems like that. Nothing worked.

Yesterday I dropped it off at a computer shop. It's going to take two weeks, and at least $65 to get it running again.

I have KIS on 2 other systems. But I'm afraid to remove it.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:43 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by .boB
Almost.

I messed with it for hours. Tried all kinds of things, even purchased some additional software that was supposed to fix any problems like that. Nothing worked.

Yesterday I dropped it off at a computer shop. It's going to take two weeks, and at least $65 to get it running again.

I have KIS on 2 other systems. But I'm afraid to remove it.
KIS is actually one of the best. If you let it get outdated, or worse yet click OK reflexively when it warns you something's trying to run that is suspicious, then a root kit trojan can get in and undermine the anti-virus program.

The worst one I've had to clean up had the root restart executable in a hidden folder so deep in that it ran off the end of normal directory specs. It was on a serious engineering and drafting machine that warranted spending days rooting it out. Locked up the internet browser before I returned the machine to service. End of problem with that draftsman.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:52 PM

I have avast anti virus and it has been good no problems
Old 12-28-2013, 04:02 PM

Last good bug I got was after my wife let our visiting 16yo niece use our computer.
She ended up going to some "free" music sharing sites.
It involved saying "allow" to every security warning message the computer threw at her.
Luckily I had wanted to get a bigger hard drive anyway.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:54 PM

In terms of safety, there's no such thing as absolutely 100% safe. The best way to protect yourself is using a layered approach. A good internet security suite for a start. Never had an issue with Kapersky.

With browser hijackers being rampant these days, I'm a big fan of Malwarebytes. The free version. For pure anti virus, I've used Avast(free) and ESET(paid). ESET is lightweight and takes up very little footprint.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:46 PM

I'm running a paid version of AVG. And Firefox. I've moved a boatload of pictures off my hard drive, but still can't seem to make any spare space.

I know just about enough about directories and such to be dangerous.

**** sites are terrible for viruses(so I've read). They put them in emails, pictures, video, anything you download from them. I know a friend back in PA had to re-boot her mom's computer constantly because her brothers would get on **** sites with it.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:50 AM

I never had any problems with viruses or malware. I did pick up an adware program from Pandora. But when directed, KIS removed it easily. I don't use Pandora anymore.

The whole problem arises from Kaspersky directly. Kaspersky itself is the problem. It used to be a very good program. But not anymore. If you're using it now, beware when it comes time to renew.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I use Defender Pro and Malewarebytes Pro and have zero issues. Malwarebytes is by far the best first line defense. I also use Firefox with AdBlock plus.

I stopped using McAfee and Norton years ago because a good computer geek friend of mine that fixed several viruses that I couldn't, said the people that write these hacks and viruses target Norton and McAfee because MANY MANY people use them and they can infect LOTS of people that way. They don't spend near as much time figuring out how to defeat the smaller, less often used programs.

Quick Reply: Kaspersky Internet Security warningn