Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Just watched a man die...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
our prayers are with you and his family.

On a side note if you think this has affected you in any way don't be to big to get help or talk about it. It is way easier to get on top of it now than being a tough guy and it turning into PTSD down the road. Trust me I have been there. I have seen and done things most wouldn't ever want to. At the time I thought I was ok years later it is starting to haunt me to the point my wife is scared of me at times not to mention other problems. Just somehting to think about.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know she's got a ton of people pointing fingers and treating her as a killer. She caused the guy's death, but she's also carrying that burden. Please keep her in your prayers too. The hardest days of her life have begun; pray for the forgiveness that Christ would give her.

As well she should, imagine if she was just "paying attention", you would not have witnessed it at all. I bet the person on the other end of her phone heard OMG. I have been to THOUSANDS of wrecks, most were needless losses of life, but the last one I did the mother was breast feeding her newborn WHILE driving, the only one that survived was the 2yo in the car seat. I can also tell you with absolute certainty that in my area young teenage females and young mothers are by far the worst possible drivers, and are the majority involved in, or responsible for, most fatalities.

This may sound callous and hard, but it is factual.

I always pray for every soul my hands touch, regardless of fault.

Tim
Old 09-11-2008, 09:10 AM

My prayers are with his family right now and you for having witnessed this event for the second time in your life. I too watched a man die a few years ago due to alcohol and poor choices. It is the scariest thing to see and I will never forget it.

This woman is not a killer to me, just another senseless driver on the roads of America. I wish that more people, especially in the nice weather months, would take a second and third look before they pull out onto a street or merge in and look for motorcycles. There are more and more on the roads now and it seems that people forget about motorcycles all together.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:19 AM

A little update- the local paper said the rider was 24 years old. One of the lawmen said they stopped resucitation efforts at the hospital so he wouldn't have had to die on the street.

He hit hard enough that the rear half of the minivan was tweaked over by 8" on the far side, caved in 18" on the side he hit. He was definitely moving faster than the 35MPH limit. Both people share responsibility in the accident, him for speeding, her for failing to yield. They had the road shut down for 5 hours.

Thanks, all, for your prayers and support. Thanks for reminding me that God is in control, and that all of us who know Him and call His name are held in His hand. Please pray that these families that have been torn by this accident don't sink into bitterness, but instead turn to God and lean on Him. There's no relief or healing in bitterness and anger; it is only in forgiveness that they can find rest. Mercy, grace and peace to all. Thank you.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:02 PM

Prayer said, God bless.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Although seeing something like this is hard on you, the fact that it touched you and effected you means you aren't a sociopath. Even though having the ability to have empathy and compasion for other people can be painful at times, having feelings for other people is a good thing and part of what makes someone a good person.

Speding some time exercising, or chatting with the pastor, or just hanging out with family might not be a bad thing for you to do.

My thoughts also go out to the driver of the van. Every one of us who has driven for very long has made a mistake while driving. Usually by the grace of God there was no one coming when you didn't check that intersection as well as you thought, or you were able to barely get stopped in time when the car in front hit the brakes, or whatever, but I think pretty much every driver has had at least a close call that was their fault... Most of us are just lucky enough to have avoided the wreck by Grace, or by another driver being defensive...

Anyway, don't be afraid to seek out someone to talk to if you need to. It isn't a sign of weakness. It is just a sign that you aren't a sociopath incapable of feelings for other people, which is something to be thankful for.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
Please also keep the lady who pulled out in front of him in prayer as well. Yes, she was careless but she was destroyed by it as well.
She may well be destroyed!
I had a biker hit the right rear tire of my Dodge, going 50ish. Never saw him and did not feel like much. I thought I had maybe run up on the curb. He died after about 10 min. Observers said it was completely his fault........ but I was pretty shook for several days, JUST being part of it.
Still don't like to go through that intersection (a yr later)... and will always wonder if I might have seen him if I did something different??
If she was at fault. it may affect her forever.

With fuel prices...I fear there will be many more 2 wheel fatalities than in the past.

RJ
Old 09-11-2008, 03:09 PM

Prayers for them both

Maybe one day cagers will start paying attention instead of: talking on the phone, playing with the radio, staring at the NAV screen, reading the paper, doing their makeup, looking at every passenger are they carry on a conversation, etc. Not to mention the "me first, im bigger" mentality.

Unlikley though. They should run that "look twice for motorcyclists" ad a whole lot more than they do.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:37 PM

She wasn't doing any of that, just made a left. The cop I spoke to today said it may be as much his fault as hers; he was speeding and never touched the brakes. Also the damage on his helmet was on the right, as if he was looking left at the car next to him. It is going to be a long investigation.

Cop said a 24-yo kid on a 150-hp rocket is a recipe for organ donation. He said he sees car-vs-bike pretty regularly, and the bike operator almost always has some responsibility for the wreck. Splitting lanes (riding between lanes of slower car traffic) is legal here in Cali, but bikes commonly split lanes even when traffic is doing 70. Something about youthful invincibility and cheap horsepower makes people do unwise things. I saw a guy up in Santa Barabara ride a wheelie doing at least 90MPH between lanes of cars going 70MPH+, and he kept it going until I lost sight of him in the distance. Talented and dumb.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:00 PM

Ill pray for the family and you to man God BLess
Old 09-12-2008, 12:26 AM

A couple weeks ago a bottom dump truck was heading down a local freeway in CA when a motorcycle passed him on the left, cut him off, jammed on the brakes in an attempt to make a off ramp. Needless to say the 80,000lb truck didn't stop and the bike didn't put up much resistance. The biker is no longer with us. I know the driver of the truck thru a friend. I havn't seen him but my friend said he will not even drive a car let alone his truck and that he is probably going to sell his truck. It wasn't his fault but it has messed him up good. I guess it goes to show that the survivors aren't always so lucky.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:33 AM

My prayers go out to the all who were involved in that accident including. It's no mistake that you were there to be with him in his last minutes....

I know what you are going through I witnessed a death once (suicide) and I still think about it once in a while.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Prayers man. Been there. If it's hard to cope, talk about it. It helps and most people understand. Sorry about your brother, prayers to him and your family too.

Kurt
Old 09-12-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by stinkindiesel

Cop said a 24-yo kid on a 150-hp rocket is a recipe for organ donation.
Sorry, that right there just displays prejudice and ignorance on the part of the officer.

Also, had she truly been paying attention and watching out she would not have made a left turn cutting off the motorcyclist. You know what the #1 cause of crashes between car and 4 wheeled vehicle? Yup, you guessed it, 4 wheeled vehicle making a left in front of a cyclist. Show me one ignorant biker who is riding wheelies at 90mph down the freeway and ill show you 10,000 more that completed their daily ride without breaking a single law. The fact of the matter is, because he was on a motorcycle, they will try to find anything at all to put it on him because all motorcycles are EEEEVIL and soccer moms in minivans are good.

I really dont mean to add more rain to your thunderstorm...but you have to use rational judgement here. Owning/riding a motorcycle does not take over your brain and make you the fault of every wreck.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Father God I just want to lift up everyone in this trajic situation. I pray that they will be able to find peace somehow. I just ask that you bless the families involved and they will be able to come together and help each other out. in Jesus name we pray AMEN

Quick Reply: Just watched a man die...