Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Just wanted to say thanks to all- joining the law enforcement family

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking Just wanted to say thanks to all- joining the law enforcement family

Little backgroung- about a year ago I was trying to get a job in law enforcement. Being a former Marine with both Marine Corps Security Forces Company, and my main MOS as Heavy Machine Gunner with the infantry I thought I was a shoe in. Well for whatever reason I got turned down by a few agencies and it really kicked me in the pants. I was about to throw in the towel, then a bunch of you guys said keep going and dont stop they all cant tell you no. Well thanks to you guys I kept going and it is paying off.

Forward to today and wow how things have changed. I have a few packages in with federal agencies that are progressing quite well. In the mean time I just got the call and I have been offered a job at the County Jail. Now I know some of you are probably thinking that a Jail Officer is not a real law enforcement job, and to each his/her own. I see it as a perfect opportunity for me to get my foot in the door, make contacts, and possibly be a stepping stone to something else in Law Enforcement. Better yet I may love and stay for the next 33 years who knows.
The best part is my wife is due in March, and our health insurance was not going to cover the baby. Well the county will cover everything starting March first, wow you talking about a huge weight being lifted. This has changed things so much for me. I have been so stressed out about hospital costs. Now I can sit back and hope for a healthy little baby and enjoy the ride.

SO THANK YOU GUYS. I dont think I would have kept going without the encouragement. I wish you all the best, Ryan....
Old 02-05-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats
Perseverance pays off. And anyone who tells you that being a jail officer is not a "real" LEO job is full of it. Sounds like you have the right attitude about it as well: foot in the door that could lead to bigger things or might love it and want to stay.
Congrats on the little deduction

~Rob
Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 AM

Right on bud, I am in the same boat. Been turned down for pretty dumb reasons, but we must keep plugging away. I feel it coming too, good luck on the baby man!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hear the FBI is hiring. Good luck!

MikeyB
Old 02-05-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something you may not know. For personnel that have a SECRET or higher clearance, the Pentagon publishes a book every year with agencies looking for military personnel with clearances. Contact a Post/Base PAO office and get them to help you get a copy.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats Rye! God Does Answer Prayers!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats Ryan! I also sent you a PM.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:50 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Congrats on the job and the family. Don't bow down about the corrections job. Here a lot of counties require you to start there before working the road anyway. Just keep plugging away if that's what you really want.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:52 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats man.

Thank you for your service...in both circumstances.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:56 PM

Semper Fi Ryan,
As a retired LEO, allow me to say this, ALWAYS watch their hands, and your back!!
Jail work will help you greatly, get to know names so when you hit the street you know those people much better.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:07 PM

Congrats. it is good to hear that someone is actually starting a job in stead of getting laid off.

BTW--- I work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons and I was a Correctional officer for 5 years. You will see more criminals in one day than most other LEO's see in a year..
Being a C.O. is a very good foot in the door. I am now a Powerhouse Operator for the Bureau of Prisons. it is a great job and pays very well. I would have never even had the chance to apply for this job if i didn't take the Correctional Officers job to begin with..
Old 02-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Way to go! You will do well in that position and Congratulations to you and your Wife
Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Congrats.

The Corrections side of law enforcement is different than the patrol/criminal side, and in some ways being a Corrections officer would be more challenging. A police officer usually only has to deal with an obnoxious drunk or belligerent and resistive person for a couple hours…

Be an ethical, fair, and strong Corrections Officer who treats everyone like a human being, and earn the respect of the inmates and other officers.

Any job in law enforcement can be a real soul crusher. Be sure to spend time with family and continue the recreational activities you enjoy.

If you are looking at this as a stepping stone, you might look into getting some college. In most places it will move you up in pay steps faster and give you a better chance for promotion whether you stay in corrections or go out on the road.

Here, anyway, it doesn’t matter than much what your degree is in. I would suggest not getting a degree in law enforcement or criminal justice, or at least not getting your only degree in criminal justice. A degree in computer science or a business related major with a minor in law enforcement would make you more marketable in the field, and give you other options.

Anyway, good luck.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 PM

congrats, glad to hear you got the job. anyway i know alot of people use that way to get their foot in the door and i know a few that have made it through
Old 02-06-2009, 01:55 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RyeThomas
In the mean time I just got the call and I have been offered a job at the County Jail. Now I know some of you are probably thinking that a Jail Officer is not a real law enforcement job, and to each his/her own. I see it as a perfect opportunity for me to get my foot in the door, make contacts, and possibly be a stepping stone to something else in Law Enforcement. Better yet I may love and stay for the next 33 years who knows.
Corrections will teach you a lot of things that you can't learn on the street. You will learn to listen, and to speak with authority. You will also learn how to control situations with out using force. You will also learn how to win a fight when you have to.

You will deal with dirtbags everyday and there will be a lot of them. Unfortunatley not all of them are the criminals......

I've been behind bars for 8 years now. It was a great career move. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Just wanted to say thanks to all- joining the law enforcement family