Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

just a quick would you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a quick would you?

would any of you ever trade a 97 12V for a Colorado. I am really thinking about doing this as I am sick and tired of having a sweet truck that I love, to not beable to afford or have time to drive to pulls and dynos (what our trucks are built for) Until I have the time and money to do so. Basically I'm sick for driving it 5mi aday to never use it. I am going to ruin it and I hate seeing it I rather se it used and abused like its made to.

its either that or I need to buy a 5-800 dollar car/small pickup to drive while my truck sits in my dads poll barn untill I can afford it. GOD I'M TICKED OFF
Old 04-27-2008, 06:39 PM

Keep the truck, you'll regret it in the long run. Put some biocide in the fuel tank top it off and run it a bit to get it into the fuel filter, then store the truck. Go out and get that $500 beater and drive.

You've got too much into the truck and they just don't make the old 12V anymore. Keep it.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:49 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can never trade vehicles to save on fuel. It almost never adds up. There may be a few certain instances where it could be done, but I haven't been able to find them yet. Get a beater, like I did........wait it out......you'll find the right beater, or fuel prices will come down.....one or the other!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:50 PM

Yeah I know I should jsut keep the truck at least the motor and trans. then when I can afford it I should go throught the whole thing restore the motor and fully build the trans then Shove it in a redone 80-86 F250-350 reg cab and have a sweet ride. Its just really frustrating right now.

PS. Not doing this for MPG savings just dont like haveing a sweet ride that I cant have fun with.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:18 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

buy some cheap used car if your only driving 5 miles a day. anything will last you 10 years at that driving rate...
Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 PM

If you think the truck is the reason why youre not able to afford the truck, then by all means ditch it.

The worst way to go broke is letting your possesions literally 'drive you' there.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
buy some cheap used car if your only driving 5 miles a day. anything will last you 10 years at that driving rate...
that is really a good point! I'm now in the market for a drivable car.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:13 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Timmay2
If you think the truck is the reason why youre not able to afford the truck, then by all means ditch it.

The worst way to go broke is letting your possesions literally 'drive you' there.
from his first post, it sounds like he is frustrated at owning the truck, but not having time to drive it as much as he would like and yet having to still put fuel in it and still maintain it regularly instead of being able to store the truck.

Cummins freak.... if you do fully store the truck, or even seriously cut back on driving it, talk to your local tag agent and see about black tagging the truck for a while. Most states will let you special tag a vehicle that isn't going to be used so your not paying or getting behind on taxes.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
see my post on "fuel matrix spreadsheet"

at 5 miles a day, you won't really save anything.

this is the vicious cycle of life:
--you want
--you need
--you desire
--you daydream about it

-you buy it.
-you have payments
-you can't afford to modify it like you were dreaming about

-you get upset
-you get mad because your dreams did not work out.
-you try to get rid of what was your most DESIRED impression.

just relax, make a list of whats important to you.

to me, driving the truck on the weekend makes it worth it.

we were looking at buying a S-10, but would you rather climb in a CTD, or a S-10 in the morning?

if you can afford it, keep it.
if not, you gotta sell it (so you don't lose your butt)

then buy a beater.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:49 PM

its not that MPG savings thats driving me mad. It's the fact that I never get to USE my freaking built truck and I feel that only driving my truck about 5mi a day is doing more harm then good. I guess I just need to buy a beater and drive the crap out of that until I can either make my truck a weekend driver/ dyno/sled pull toy only or get a job where I drive more miles to and from.....trying to lean toward option one!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:42 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like your truck is just a toy. It doesn't make you a living and it would not be needed for your commute if you had something else. Plus it's a serious over-acheiver for a five mile commute.

You currently cannot afford your toys.

So, make more money, or re-evaluate your toy needs. We all have to make compromises. Just letting the Dodge sit is not a good plan. It only helps till you can let it go or get your finances together in a fairly short period. Sitting is a vehicle's worst enemy and the costs go on while it becomes worth even less.

It's hard to let go of a beloved toy, but you probably won't miss it as much as you think. Besides there are a lot of them out there.

John
Old 04-28-2008, 07:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why are you worried about driving it 5 miles a day? My daily commute is 6 miles round trip and never an issue. But on most most weekends I do go for longer drives.

MikeyB
Old 04-28-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
Keep the truck, you'll regret it in the long run. Put some biocide in the fuel tank top it off and run it a bit to get it into the fuel filter, then store the truck. Go out and get that $500 beater and drive.
That's what I did! Bought a '96 Passat Diesel: 39mpg around town! And, It's a DIESEL! Looking at the possibilities of homebrew...maybe.

Tony
Old 04-28-2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Raspy
It sounds like your truck is just a toy. It doesn't make you a living and it would not be needed for your commute if you had something else. Plus it's a serious over-acheiver for a five mile commute.

You currently cannot afford your toys.

So, make more money, or re-evaluate your toy needs. We all have to make compromises. Just letting the Dodge sit is not a good plan. It only helps till you can let it go or get your finances together in a fairly short period. Sitting is a vehicle's worst enemy and the costs go on while it becomes worth even less.

It's hard to let go of a beloved toy, but you probably won't miss it as much as you think. Besides there are a lot of them out there.

John
its not that I cant affor the truck its paid for. it the fact that I cant afford to actually use the truck like its built thats annoying right now. I could part with the truck but not the motor or tras just becasue I know what thye have been through. I just need to park it!!! Drive it everyonce and a while to keep it in working order nad drive a beater so I can save up to afford the fun that comes with owning a built cummins HAHAHA
Old 04-28-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy a beater car like I did and drive the truck for good and when you go out somewhere. I bought a 93 cavalier from a coworker almost 2 years ago for $400 and the only thing ive done to it other than gas is one oil change. I drive it 16 miles a day 5 days a week and thats it. If we go out somewhere decent I drive the truck. It saves on fuel in the truck plus when its -10* outside I dont have to wory abought being nice to the truck. I have always had better cars so I can leave my trucks sit durring the week. Even long before I had a diesel. I can bomb around in them and not care if it ever gets washed or dirty inside and when they die I get anouther. I would get the car but not put the truck in storage completly just dont drive it unless you are going out for the nite or on weekends. Listing the car as your primary driver may also save some money on insurance.

Quick Reply: just a quick would you?