Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Just got truck out of shoppe……….

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 08:55 PM
Banned

Location: Newman Lake, WA (But my home is deep in the heart of Texas!)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got truck out of shoppe……….

The head of a 1” bolt on my lift sheared off one night when I was just pulling out from Holiday after getting diesel.
I heard a sound like someone threw a bolt and hit my truck. My steering got “weird” for awhile then on the night I pick my girlfriend up in town from Seattle…I get 6” of play in an off-center wheel!
Had to park the CDT, rent a 04’ Grand Cherokee (4x4 mind you) and take Monday off to let Les Scwab fix it. :'(
One thing I will not forget is the guy asking me at the shop “Who did your lift”…..
I told him LS on the north side. He was at the valley shop and seemed surprised. What does that mean? Who knows…….
I have been “off-road and rompin’” only maybe 2x …..”Tuff Country” should be “tuffer” than that.
Anyway, she’s back in commission and ready for some mud………….

Buyer Beware? ???
Old 12-17-2003, 09:59 PM

Re:Just got truck out of shoppe……….

How old is your lift??? I believe Tuff Country stands behind their products....maybe they'll pay the bill???.......its worth a try...
Old 12-18-2003, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would bet real money that it was the installation, not the parts that caused it.

I'm wary of having a corner tire store install a lift.

Les Schwab did my first lift, the Tuff Country 2inch spacer,
and it took them half a day to figure it out.
I figured if they sold it they knew what they were doing.

I bought my 2nd lift, the 4.5" I currently have, from a place that does lifts as 90% of their business,
and had them install it.

What bolt was it that went bye bye?
Pretty hard to shear off a 1inch bolt,
it would have had to been either lose, or torqued way to tight to begin with.

I haven't heard a single bad report about Tuff Country.

phox
Old 12-18-2003, 07:47 AM
Banned

LS did tote the bill as I had the lift done this summer. They were kind enough to open the last kit rather than waiting for the pieces to come in from Tuff Country. It's hard to describe the bolt so I will grab the digital at work and post a pic.
I think the lift and work done is good, maybe I bounced around a bit too much this summer off road. Either way, my lift was only 1424.77, kinda cheep huh?

The worst part of the whole ordeal was not having my truck to scoot my girlfriend around in :'(

...........WHAT'S TUFF COUNTRY GONNA DO ABOUT THAT?

Old 12-18-2003, 11:30 AM

tanderson2002us- Hows Spokane these days? I was stationed at Fairchild for a couple years (98-01). I miss it. The wife is from Kellogg,ID, so we get over that way a few times a year. I don't have much nice to say about the Nside Schwabies. They did an alignment on my old Dodge and forgot to torque down the upper adjustment bolt. I swear I almost lost the entire drivers side wheel on the highway about a week later. They made it right, but after much threatening to involve WA Consumer Affairs folks and BBB. Fixed the align and gave me a new tire for that wheel. Never went back there again. -Steve
Old 12-18-2003, 07:03 PM
Banned

[quote author=CTDinMT link=board=10;threadid=23913;start=0#msg225865 date=1071768656]
tanderson2002us- Hows Spokane these days? I was stationed at Fairchild for a couple years (98-01). I miss it. The wife is from Kellogg,ID, so we get over that way a few times a year. I don't have much nice to say about the Nside Schwabies. They did an alignment on my old Dodge and forgot to torque down the upper adjustment bolt. I swear I almost lost the entire drivers side wheel on the highway about a week later. They made it right, but after much threatening to involve WA Consumer Affairs folks and BBB. Fixed the align and gave me a new tire for that wheel. Never went back there again. -Steve
[/quote]

Hey CTD.....things in Spokane are Great! I live just 10 minutes from the Idaho border by Stateline. Not too many places to go runnin around except the ORV park on the north side and the loggin trails up north by Horseshoe Lake and the Deer Park area. I did not get the pic today but am thinking that I may have stressed that bolt the last time my girlfriend and I went 4 wheelin'....

Oh well.....it's better than letting in sit in the garage!