Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

just blew $320,000 of your tax money!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Good posts all around here. Keep it up, warriors.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation sorry long post

I think I struck a cord... sorry
I was actually still giddy like a school girl when I sent that message. It was meant to be funny.

To answer a couple questions, yes I'm a pilot stationed at hunter army airfield in Savannah, Georgia.
It was a training flight here firing real missles, at old track vehicles on a range, something in my short aviation career of 7 years that I haven't done before.
As far as respect for the guys on the ground, I was one of them for 10 years before becoming an aviation warrant officer. I was a combat engineer, that never even graduated basic training before deploying to desert shield/storm. Talk about a scared kid.
Our crew chiefs know that without them we don't get off the ground. I'm currently state side, but the role is still the same. The crew cheifs just don't need to patch bullet holes here. We are an extremely close knit family. The ground guys (infantry, armor etc.) I worked with in Iraq were always quick to say thanks and we direct them to the crew cheifs, so they get to hear it directly from the guys we help protect. It gives them (the crew cheifs) a great sense of pride knowing that the guys made it back through the gate at the end of the day or night because of the work they do day and night to keep the aircraft flying. Just wanted to make it clear, I agree with you that the ground crews don't get enough recoginition from outside, but from within our unit the pilots make **** sure the crew cheifs know how important we think they are, as it should be in any unit.
On side note our crew cheifs don't get to fly with the aircraft they work on as it is a 2 pilot aircraft with only room for 2 rated aviators. All that work on the aircraft they don't get to fly in, they proudly salute as we taxi away from parking.
I agree with your statement about sometimes wishing the trigger didn't need to be pulled, but myself and the guys in my company will continue to do so to keep the guys on the ground safe. They (crew cheifs included) are who we risk our lives for daily.

sorry that was so long...
on a positive note if anybody comes through savannah area give me a shout, I might be able to work out some simulator time so you could fly around
and squeeze the trigger at some video bad guys.
thanks again, Kurt
Old 07-31-2007, 07:54 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small world. I was at Rucker in 91/92. Babysat Warrant Officers (flight school) on the live fire range while showing them how to call artillery fire for a bit, then taught at the Air Assault School. We went over to Hunter/Stewart and taught one huge rotation there. Had a blast!

Good thread guys!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never been in one of them bad whammer jammers and have the greatest respect for anyone that can make one do what it is supposed to do. Thank those of you that do make them do what they are supposed to do (cause I'm sure to old to do it, went in USN in 72 got out in 76) and all the others in uniform.

My company has created an adopt a soldier program that I think is pretty cool. I adopted a Major who is in Iraq right now. Dropped him a letter last week to see what he needs. The corporate office also send hundreds and hundreds of pounds of supplies every week over the pond to help out. We have camaflouge barrells here at the station that anyone can drop off supplies that will be collected and shipped to the people in need.

Keep up the good work and thanks again.