Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

June 7, 2015 Water Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Grrr, last night coming home, ran into a huge by large water across the highway at 45 MPH, no indication, just WHUMP, heading for the ditch. ( you know it is bad when a Cummins on skinny snow tires hydroplanes )

Got her saved just before I got to the ditch, went home thanking my lucky stars.

This AM, early, not light yet, heading out, she won't engage the bendix, quick pop of the hood, bang on the starter, no joy.

I figured the spray had killed it, so off I go in the daughters Vic. Took the day off after finding out I didn't want to spend nearly 700 bucks to get a real Denso starter here tomorrow, Napa 40 miles away had a new lifetime for 200 bucks, less than the airfreight charges. Take a days vacation, get the starter, and a new 10 MM 12 point socket, which turned out to be more difficult than getting the starter, got home, figured I would remove the cables and top bolt first, HUH? No top bolt, starter was hanging 1/8" or so away from the block........

No freakin way! Evidently the starter had lost the top bolt, and the lowers had backed out, but the starter didn't move until it got blasted with the water........ Tighten up the lowers, starts like a champ, so off to my buddies house to beg a spare bolt until I can order spares in.

So now if I return the starter, Murphy will punish me tomorrow by killing my existing starter, and if I put it on the shelf, either it will never die, or die 500 miles form home........

Yea, I put it on the shelf.........
Old 06-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
There's a kit for around $40 to rebuild that starter. I think a guy on tdr sells the kit.

Sad news today. My long bed mega cab was appraised for damage and deemed a total loss.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:15 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Can't sleep so thought I would come and harass the dragon. Put on fresh coffee and ph00 - - should be still good by the time the rest of you wake up. Came into family room to lay out but no luck - - cough, spit, cough, spit, blow nose, cough - - well, you get the idea. Chest is just sore from all the goings on. Time for this to end. Horrible...................

Originally Posted by Scotty
There's a kit for around $40 to rebuild that starter. I think a guy on tdr sells the kit.

Sad news today. My long bed mega cab was appraised for damage and deemed a total loss.
SocttyP00 - - sorry about the truck. You really did it good. And it is still running - - but totaled? Interesting. You could do like my Seattle son - - totaled his Jeep twice - - bought it back and fixed it himself. The third time it had 290,000 miles on it - - naw, forget it. Let it die quietly. Each time it was hit he was not in it - - sitting parked. Strange.

Ph00 is ready - - grabbing mine, shower and head to doctor. Later. ...................

DisgustingBob
Old 06-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Hi...
...bye
Old 06-09-2015, 02:28 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Hi. Just flying flying by for a quick looksee.

Pat, had to smile at your 'logic' about putting that new starter on the shelf. It made sense to me.

Bob, the thing that has been keeping awake at night is the coughing, so know where you are coming from. No fun. I have had my 4th penicillin injection, one more to go and really feel the difference. I am on the mend, but still a way to go.

Scotty, too bad about your truck. At least now you will not need to crawl under the dash in the middle of winter. How long before you figure out the next move? Hope the loss of the truck does not adversely affect your business.

Here is something for your amusement:

17 Insane Towing Moments No One Ever Expected - Odometer.com
Old 06-09-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just loaded my 08 on the rollback. Sure didn't like seeing that.

Strangest thing, the 89 seems to be needing a 12 valve transplant. Think I can convince DW that it is absolutely necessary? Wheels are spinning!
Old 06-09-2015, 06:47 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by sherod
Just loaded my 08 on the rollback. Sure didn't like seeing that.

Strangest thing, the 89 seems to be needing a 12 valve transplant. Think I can convince DW that it is absolutely necessary? Wheels are spinning!
Loosen the oil drain plug. Let her drive it to town.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:53 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone got rumors on a 2009 3/4 ton (sorry, its a hemi)? bad habits?

scotty that vacuums, hope insurance angels treat you well. really hope low impact until then.

Ed, oh that is tough to see it go. hope you switched comfy seats...

ok, suffering ones: hit your vitamins, plenty o fluids, and exercise how you can. get them lungs expanded says DTR doctor. ironic that two southern favorites are ill........

waiting for the escaped convicts to enter the county(kidding). one acquaintance is ten miles away......four troopers parked there round the clock. get ready for a slew of traffic tickets to cover the overtime costs.....
Old 06-09-2015, 06:55 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Loosen the oil drain plug. Let her drive it to town.
great minds think alike.........but he drives so no inconvenience.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
great minds think alike.........but he drives so no inconvenience.
I guess he could drive it. He'd just have to be a little more ....er...humble.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:40 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, another day history. This one flew. Have Holter monitor on tonight - - 24 hour monitor on heart rhythm. Take it off and return it in the morning. Always interesting to see what is happening down there while sleeping or on the treadmill.

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Bob, the thing that has been keeping awake at night is the coughing, so know where you are coming from. No fun. I have had my 4th penicillin injection, one more to go and really feel the difference. I am on the mend, but still a way to go.

Here is something for your amusement:
The coughing has been the constant hacking kind the last two days. Just constant tickle that nothing helps. Drives me, and all around me, crazy. Hey, that website sure lit up my anti-virus program - - it jumped up on the screen with flashing lights and sirens and said don't go there. Read about it and it loads you with tracking programs and advertisements that will keep popping up. Great tracking program and it is free. That helps.

Off to bed. Hopefully won't be up at 3:30 again in the morning hacking and waking up the blonde. Hate it - - - ready for it to end.

Nighty nite,

BobbyCoughCough
Old 06-10-2015, 12:19 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Hope ewe sleep well BobbyDependable.

I'm dreaming of a new truck tonight.
Just dreaming
Old 06-10-2015, 06:24 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Coffee and Phoo for all of you....get up and get moving! Life is waiting
Old 06-10-2015, 07:09 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Morning. Another great day dawning here in Paradise. Too bad I do not feel as great. Did spend a 'great' night in the recliner. Seems like every time I went to lay down, I started to cough. The only way to stop the almost continuous coughing was to try to sleep in a semi sitting up position. Not nice. However, on the bright side, I am improving, back into my feed and some of my get-up-and-go has returned.

Bob, thanks for the info about the possible viruses on that link that I posted. Nothing showed on the anti-virus programs I have. I have recently reinstalled the Firefox Ghostery app and it is amazing how much stuff it blocks on every page. On most DTR pages it blocks about 12 -16 sites and lists them.

Scotty, everything starts with a dream.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Coffee and Phoo for all of you....get up and get moving! Life is waiting
Checked at 4:45 before DW and I went bass fishing. Nobody around, dragon was sleeping, so I didn't say anything. I just went fishing.

Quick Reply: June 7, 2015 Water Cooler