Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

June 7, 2015 Water Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:23 AM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
June 7, 2015 Water Cooler

quick post , everyone must be sick.

doing firewood. have a good one folks!
Old 06-07-2015, 07:46 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Thanks Heidi for starting the post. I will get the ph00 and coffee going.
I just may be starting to mend. If I can just stop the almost continuous coughing.

Was thinking about the huge differences between the US medical “system” and where I live. Here is what brought this to mind;

Yesterday morning I figured out that this sickness I have is quite a bit more than a very heavy cold and that it was necessary to go and see a doc. I can choose to see any doc. Is Obama still pushing the lie that if you like your doc you can keep him? Decided to go back to the doc that treated me when I came back from China with hepitius A. Called him at about 10 and he could see me at 12:30. He is an older, quite spoken gentleman in his late 60's. He lives in a nice house house not far from me and his office is an extension of his house. Very countryish. This guy never rushes you and asks a lot of questions until he is satisfied that he has all the info to make a decision about what is wrong. Super professional.

In my case he figured that I had chronic bronchial infection. He also said that it appeared to be spreading fast and that if I had waited one more day, that he would have no choice but to put me in hospital immediately. Scary!!!!! He immediately put me on antibiotics but insisted on injections in the butt because he told us that pills take too long to act in this case and that we had no time to waste. My wife knows all about injections, so on the way home we bought the required stuff and 10 minutes after we got home I had the first injection. He wants me back on Wednesday to check on progress. No charge for this second visit.

Now, here is another big difference between the US system and where I live. Total cost for the examination, the prescrition etc came to a staggering 450 pesos or about US$28.64. So in summary: can you decide on which doc you want to use, be able to see him 2.5 hours later and then pay less than $30 for the visit? I do carry government inurance for major problems such as a broken leg or needing surgury, but have never used it. Could have used it today, but that is lot more hassle.

Starting to see why I say I live in Paradise? It's not just the weather.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:21 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Glad you doctor'd up Stanadian.
Lung ailments are tough.
Get well soon.

Hi Hi-Dee.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Morning. Just back from church -- - early. Taught my class, but came home after - - dragging my fanny pack. Coughing is better, but energy level is cappoot.

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Yesterday morning I figured out that this sickness I have is quite a bit more than a very heavy cold and that it was necessary to go and see a doc. In my case he figured that I had chronic bronchial infection. He also said that it appeared to be spreading fast and that if I had waited one more day, that he would have no choice but to put me in hospital immediately. Scary!!!!!
Mmmmmmm?????? Makes one wonder, doesn't it. Sounds like mine. I'm getting better - - I'm getting better - uhhhh, I'm getting better. Duh, sure hope I am getting better. ................

Grabbing a ph00 and hitting the sack.

Bob
Old 06-07-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Heidi, never thought about how many cars where named after cats until now. Their are a few.
Stan, I know all too well about lung problems. A chemical exposure gave me permanent lung damage. Pneumonia and bronchitis are a way of life for me. Yes our affordable health care law sucks. There were many loop holes designed into it so providers and insurance companies can cheat.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone who thought the government getting involved would make health insurance cheaper was nuts.

Which is the only thing they are really affecting. But they use "healthcare" in place of "health insurance", and they are NOT the same thing.

Whatever happened to the days when journalists actually did some research into a subject instead of regurgitating the press release? I quit reading Popular Mechanics and Popular Science because they've been reduced to that level since they started bringing in editors from Men's Health and GQ. I've been thinking of picking up a Playboy just to see if they've still got quality reading material with the bonus pictures.

Rode over to Minden to Pioneer Village yesterday. Had more time to look at stuff than when I was there 6 years ago. Even found a stagecoach that used to run around up where the janitor lives. It doesn't look as good as on the website though. Things are really showing their age, and they don't have the funds to fix much of it. Harold Warp set up the museum, hotel/campground, and restaurant up in a foundation so that it could be self-supporting, but the restaurant has been closed for some time. I doubt he ever thought we'd ever see the dollar devalued as much as it has.

Hope the 1-room schoolhouse roof doesn't start leaking. They've got schoolbooks dating from colonial times stored in the attic.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Glad folks are feeling better!

I'm adding a post over in the 3rd gen general area. I'd appreciate a look and your advice. Short version, Parked the truck last night. Jumped in this morning, clutched and started. BANG RATTLE RATTLE!

Spent the rest of the day snaking the kitchen drains. Seems someone who shall remain nameless, (DW) dumped grease down the drain and you got the rest....
Old 06-07-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Back from my mini-vacation celebration. Set up the camper in the parking lot of a little baptist church in Orr, MN. Pastor is a friend of mine. We managed to go fishing at a pretty little lake called Thistledew for about 2 hours Friday evening. Cleaned 7 fish, have had 2 meals so far, and still have one left over. Wind was too high Saturday for our kind of fishing. Went riding a little on Pelican lake. Parked the boat and covered it against the coming rain and went exploring up around Voyager's National Park. Found a pretty state campground right on Lake Kabetogama. Think DW and I might go up there and camp for a few days soon.

Got back home today, went fishing at a lake near by for a couple of hours between thunderstorms. Caught a couple of nice bass. Hustled back home and put the boat away. Light and drum show going on right now.

Been a good few days. Got good rest and had a good time with DW.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:52 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good morning.
Wish I could say I got hot coffee going, but I'm all out and haven't grocery shopped. I do have hot black tea. So, drink up. Scrape your non-coffeed morning until you can swing by Dunkin Donuts or some coffee establishment for your fix. I know I am

Stan, you gotta get better. Summer is time for feeling good and getting out.

Sherod, not good sounds at all. Bang rattle rattle = $$$$
Old 06-08-2015, 06:11 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Good morning DTR'ers. Fresh, hot coffee and ph00 awaits your drinking pleasure.

I do believe that I have turned the corner on this lung problem that hit me so hard and fast. Last night actually managed to get a few hours of sleep without coughing. Even managing to eat a bit and even have a twinge of hunger this morning. Will test my energy today and see if I can handle some of the smaller tasks around here.

j_martin, sounds like you and DW had some fun.

sherod, does not sound like you are having any fun. As Shorts said; $$$$

Bob, hope that you are feeling better this morning.

As for the rest of you, enjoy your day.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:16 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Good morning DTR'ers. Fresh, hot coffee and ph00 awaits your drinking pleasure.
I do believe that I have turned the corner on this lung problem that hit me so hard and fast. Bob, hope that you are feeling better this morning.

As for the rest of you, enjoy your day.
Ph00..........................................................aaah hhh, much better.

Stan - - thank you for the ph00 - - ya did goooooddd. Me? I did teach my class yesterday so a little better. Too early yet for today's forecast, but no coughing jags so far.

Gotta go do something - - going crazee.

Refill...............................

Bob
Old 06-08-2015, 08:13 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Greetings to ewe awl.
I made special phoo for bobbynosegoo.
Shorts, my fave place for a hot coffee is Tim Horton's. BobbyDependable has tried it. Since a USA company ( burger king) bought them, maybe you'll see one out your way.

here's to better health for what ails ewe awl.

Ed, keep me posted on your issue,I'll go read your post. I do suspect something.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Got the big storage unit emptied yesterday, 1 more bill I don't have to pay. I'm not use to working that hard. Had some evening thunder showers, enough to cool things down a little. More expected today. One last day of freedom, then back to the house of horrors.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, my problem with the truck has been solved. Quick trip to the shop this morning, DMF shot, Clutch basically in pieces, and a wobble on the input shaft. With that carnage, something must have been lingering for some time. No weird indications, but....

I am now out of the diesel game. Just couldn't bring myself to put more into it when I have a 89 D350 sitting here. It's a gasser, but with only 32000 miles on the clock. Went ahead and got a Taurus SHO. At least it has the same kick in the pants! I'll stay in touch, one day have another diesel. For now, just spool up and bellow for me.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:18 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well hellooooh!

good to see FiverStanCougar on the mend, seeing that Ed's truck caught a bug as well........ yes, wish I had medical insurance on sick vehicles.

shout out to Shorts, get your fridge in order girl!

heard the emergency broadcast warning today........for a thunderstorm.
new to me. is this like everyone wins a trophy at a sports competition?

Ne, always cool to read your posts, sounds interesting.
JM, glad you play harder than your work, lol

hi to Larry and his other brother larrycanuck.

Quick Reply: June 7, 2015 Water Cooler