Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

John Deere 4020D Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Deere 4020D Electrical Problem

Hello all,

Have a problem with my 4020 Diesel.

This past summer - if the tractor sat for more than 2-3 days...it wouldnt start. At the time - was a 24v system.

1st thing I did was replace the battery's - 2 brand new JD 12v's.

Seemed to help for awhile - but not long and was back to not starting if sat for more than a few days.

After many suggestions to switch the tractor over to 12v- I bit the bullet and bought the kit. Switched her over didnt seem to have any problems. Followed the enclosed directions. Hooked the batteries up parrallel (Both pos to starter - both negs to tractor frame)

Same thing - accept seemingly worse now. Tractor sits for one day..and it wont start. Hmmm.

Started some trouble shooting. Hooked up a load tester. Both batteries showing 12-13 volts after a charge. Unhooked the red/white wire clip that goes into the alternator - checked with test light.....red = light, and white = dim light. To my understanding - with the key off....my white wire should be dead. So seem to have some stray voltage here?

Went up to the key - all spades on back side are used. 3 of the 5 are hot with the key off. (one is quite a bit dimmer than the others)

Is this telling anybody anything? I dont have a clue where to go next....but getting tired of having to boost every time I need to start the tractor. (Start every 3-4 days to fill a hayfeeder)

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:41 AM

a buddy has one seem to me his 4020diesel had a starter relay box up under the hood on the motor side of the firewall it was all wired wrong on his from prevois owners.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:53 PM
JKM

Sounds like your key switch is bad or getting bad, I am not overly familiar with a 4020 , does it kill the engine in the key off position? or is there a pull cable. It sounds like the ignition circuit in the key switch is staying on , or partially on , and feeding power to the alt all the time.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:03 PM
REALLY old dog

Talking

Thats What I Was Thinking - Switch Problem- Don`t Know About That Switch But Many Can Be Taken Apart And Cleaned- I Know Ive Had To Do That To Car Ignition Switches And Some Times There Is A Little Spring That Has Gotten Weak.
Just A Thought>
Old 12-12-2007, 05:57 PM

Have you tried disconnecting the wires from the altenator while it sits to verify that the diodes havent shorted and draining the batteries while she sits. If this does stop the batteries from draining, you need a new altenator.