Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

John Deere 1600 Mower/Conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 03:37 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by signature600
That Perkins is hard to beat, but Deutz Air-Cooled's can do it without breaking a sweat. I'll get flamed for this, BUT, I LIKE THEM BETTER THAN CUMMINS!
The only thing I don't like about those old Perkins is when someone walks by with an ice cream cone, and you gotta use either to start the dirty beggar.

Rod
Old 08-19-2004, 06:43 PM

Now, Now, Now

If you don't like ether then tell Scotty to stay away from the Massey! MOVE SOMEWHERE WARMER IF YOU OWN A MASSEY, but have you ever tried to start a Ford Tractor? Jeesh, they take a CASE of ether!

HeHe, This has gotten out of hand fast, huh?

Chris
Old 08-21-2004, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Push Rod
[B
My little M&W baler has rolled 7000 bales with nary a blown bearing or worn chain. The chains look brand new, and its because I take 10 minutes every 4 or 5 hours, re-grease and re-oil and get back at it. There are days I almost hate the idea of going baling, cause I know its gonna be nothing but 12 or 14 hours of almost non-stop baling

Our 4020 John Deere has got 17,000 hours on it, but still puts down around 85 HP or so. Its definitely gettin tired now, but the motor has never had a wrench on it. We've replaced a generator and thats about it. But its always been maintained properly with the best available fluids used that were available. Same with the rest of our tractors. My 930 has 12,000 hours on it, and puts out 98 HP, more than factory power. Nary a wrench on that old girl either.

Rod [/B]
I wish I could say the same about our JD 567 balers. We have one new one and one a year old. The one a year old has only about 4000 bales on it and we've replaced chains,hoses, and a monitor on it already. If it wasn't for the Cover Edge net wrap that we use with them and the nice tight, perfect bales they make I would at think about looking at another brand. I will say that we have a JD 145 (I thnk that's the number)small square baler that has ??,000 bales on it and have never done anything but put twine in it.
You should feel lucky about having tractors treat you that well for that many years. We bought two new JD 6615's this year and have had nothing but trouble from one of them. The one we had trouble with only had 100hrs on it and JD is already taking it back and giving us a new one. Just because it's new doesn't mean that they are trouble free. I can also say that it's not jus the JD's we have a Ford 8870 and a Cat Challenger 45 that have their share of troubles too. Now that I'm thinking about it the only tractor we have that we have not had any problems with is a TV145 Bi Directional
Old 08-21-2004, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by vaquero
I wish I could say the same about our JD 567 balers.
When it comes time to buy a hardcore, I'll be buying a New Holland or that Case baler thats the exact same unit, and with the re-label, the Case baler is about $5000 cheaper. The custom guys up here all swear by their New Hollands with the XtraSweep 6 bar pickup. I'm friends with one of the custom outfits up here, and he tells me in a lighter crop and smooth field, they can still crack out 1800 lb bales at 14 mph.

On the chain front, I'm not sure if you have a PetroCanada anywhere near you (there are some in the US), but we took a hint from the sawmill and the peat moss plant up here, and started using an oil called NonDrip 220 on all our chains. Its thick, sticky crap that really lubes well. It won't work in auto-oilers though and you can't use it on chains near belts, as the oil will sling off on initial oiling, soaking the belt. Don't ask me how I learned that lesson

But since we started using NonDrip 220 5 years ago, we haven't replaced a solitary chain on the farm.

Rod
Old 08-21-2004, 02:19 PM

Rod,
Thanks for the NonDrip 220 idea. I will see if I can find any of it down here. All we've ever used is just regular foamy chain lube from NAPA.
We sell alot of our hay at a premium so the Cover Edge net wrap is a must for us and we also line it up so we can pick it up with our Hydra beds on our pick-ups so they aren't protected in a stack and the wrap really keeps the rain and snow out. If it wasn't for those reasons I would really look at another kind of baler.
We just got done cutting some oats we have that we had to lay down and then pick up with a pick up header on the combine. Well I cut them with an older Hesston 8200 with a 16' draper header that we keep around just for this reason. I have to say that I don't see how you guys can put up hay with a sickle bar swather. It was so slow compared to our disk mower it was painful. We are going to trade off both the 8200 and our 8550s this fall with all the headers that go with them and get one new swather with a 16' disk header and a 25 or 30' draper header for the oats. Hopefully that will make having to lay down oats a little faster next time.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:15 PM

No offense intended vaquero, but you use Heston mowers and discbines (good choice), but use JOHN Deere balers? What gives, those Hestons are good balers, and apparently you have a dealer somewhat close.

By the Way, I'm picking on you. We're dealers in Ohio, and love that Heston stuff.

Man I've got to quit picking on your guys' farm machinery, you'll probably start some nasty rumors about us .

All in Fun..................I Hope,
Chris

Oh Yeah, Those ne 9200 Heston SP Haybines are NICE.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:30 PM

We sell alot of our hay at a premium so the Cover Edge net wrap is a must for us and we also line it up so we can pick it up with our Hydra beds on our pick-ups so they aren't protected in a stack and the wrap really keeps the rain and snow out.
I'm not sure if you knew this or not, but the New Holland Silage Specials can be had with net wrap and cover edge. Something to keep in mind.

Gotta get you out of that green stuff

If you can't find a number for the nearest PetroCan rep, let me know. My Dad manages the bulk plant up here, and he'll get me one of the US rep's numbers and you should be able to track it down from there.

Rod
Old 08-22-2004, 11:43 PM

Rod,
Thanks for the offer, if I can't find it I'll drop you a line. I didn't realize the New Hollands had the wrap that went over the edge also. I'll have to look into those when we get rid of these Deere's.

Signature600, no offence taken but that doesn't mean we still won't start rumors
How are those 9200 Hesstons. We are getting rid of our old 8200 and our 8550s this fall and that's what we are thinking about getting. We haven't had them bring one out yet for us to try but if you know something about them what are the differences. From what I understand it's a true 16' header and a few more ponies under the hood. Are there anyother differences? I really like the cab and controls on our 8550 (especially the acerage counter). JD is supposed to bring us one of their new disc swathers out in a couple of weeks when we start our third but I heven't liked any of them that been in over the years. I can't believe that your acerage couter, etc. are optional equipment on the JD's, you pay that kind of money you'd think that wouldn't even be a second thought.
About the JD balers, they had already bought them before I came to manage this place so I didn't have a say in the matter. Believe me I'm not paint loyal, if the decision is up to me I'd by the best piece of equipment for the job no matter what the color they sprayed on it. Heck, if we line up all the equipment on this place the only kind we don't have is a Case.

Edit-
Forgot to ask, we are going to get two headers with the new swather. The disk mower and then we want to get a 25-30' draper header. Do you know if Hesston makes a draper that big for the 9200 or do we have to go aftermarket? Thanks for your help.
Kris
Old 08-23-2004, 09:49 AM

Well let me look when I got to the store, and I'll fill you in! I'm away at "College" right now, and I'll be there this afternoon.

Chris
Old 08-23-2004, 10:20 AM

but that doesn't mean we still won't start rumors
Yeah, I heard from a reliable source that Chris's outfit will be the only ones to have Hesston haybines with Tecumseh 4 cylinder gas jobbies.

Rod
Old 08-23-2004, 11:27 AM

NO NO NO, You've got that all Wrong!!!

WE get the ones with V-4 Wisconsin's, You Canadians get the Honda(V-TEC of Course), and the Mexican's get the Tecumseh's.

GEESH!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by signature600
WE get the ones with V-4 Wisconsin's, You Canadians get the Honda(V-TEC of Course), and the Mexican's get the Tecumseh's.
V-Tecs? Cooool. So that means I can install the 6 inch can at the end of it, and be a rice rocket dude? Extra 20 HP?

Rod
Old 08-23-2004, 09:30 PM

Cover it with sticker, and throw an non-functional monster tach in iy, and You can mow hay at like 55 mph, DUDE?!?!?!
Old 08-23-2004, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll also need some of those chinese symbol stickers.

Everybody knows stickers make ur Haybine go faster
Old 08-23-2004, 10:56 PM

55 mph. Suhweet. Any chance of a Vtec powered baler so I can do 55 with it too?

Rod

Quick Reply: John Deere 1600 Mower/Conditioner