Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Jist Gittin Warmed Up Breakroom 4/19 - 25

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by sherod
Got the call. Turbo definitely grenaded. Got to fix it, trade or sale at this point, either way I loose big time. $4680. No indications of what caused it at this point.

I've put about 100k on this turbo with no issues. Oh well, sometimes things just stink.
Man I'm glad I drive a first gen. That's a chunk of change.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:28 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Scotty-Some people just don't understand!

Glad you are finally getting back to "normal!"
YOu gotta be kidding - - Scotty normal???? He has no idea of the meaning of that word. Normal for him is totally absurd for the rest of us..............

Hey, sorry about the turbo. Have not heard of problems with them. How can they ever figure that sucker is worth that kind of money. Sort of like the Exhaust brake - - totally overpriced for the amount of materials and workmanship involved. Well, come to think about it, suddenly a lot of things are like that. GGGRRRR

Wow, tomorrow is Saturday all ready - - did not get enough done this week. Off to a slow start trying to recoup from the invasion of the twins.

Bob
Old 04-24-2015, 05:47 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HEHEH, nothing normal about MOST of us here....why just look at our legs...

cleared out stuff for annual junk day, took long walk in woods for spotting fire wood trees in the ravines. orange dog aka killer cat protected us all the way (2.5 miles), saw the tiniest hoof prints of deer, nice to know a few made it.

Fiver, funny you should say that: I love to fix stuff when visiting, like paying it forward. Going to CA soon to do just that, I get hugs and get to build garden oasis, new fence and take down two trees in a fifteen foot city yard.
fair deal in my book, I also learned how to peel an avocado. hehehe
Old 04-25-2015, 06:30 AM
DTR Mom

well I guess it is only fitting I post 12 hours later......

we have sun therefore I am wading through the snow to do something.

Sherod, that just vacuums with the turbo going....craigslist for motor, get your new turbo for 300 bucks.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
HEHEH, nothing normal about MOST of us here....why just look at our legs...
Huh? somebody call me and my LEEGGS?

Busy day so far..mowed the yard..trimmed some trees and split a cord of firewood for next season....boy I was sure glad to wake up from that nap I am bushed!

Going to sit and watch it rain and wait for my Grand Kids to come see me...I sure have missed them!. I also have two more to spoil and can't wait to see them as soon as the doc lets me fly.

Life is good and my LEGGS are gooder
Old 04-25-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Waiting on another round of rough weather this afternoon. Calling for possibility of twisty winds, hail, all that fun stuff. Time to use that newly acquired NOAA spotter training!

Spent the morning with the Bride. Store-bought breakfast, oil change and vacuum on her car. Seems I'm going to be driving it for a few days.

Lary- Glad to hear you on the up and up! Now if we could just get Scotty and Cougar back in shape!
Old 04-25-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme

Sherod, that just vacuums with the turbo going....craigslist for motor, get your new turbo for 300 bucks.
NOW you tell me! I actually didn't think about that route. However, wouldn't the computer have to be programmed for that turbo? I was under the impression that the Truck computer had to "learn" the VGT. From what I've read, either Cummins or StarScan programmers had to be used.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
NOW you tell me! I actually didn't think about that route. However, wouldn't the computer have to be programmed for that turbo? I was under the impression that the Truck computer had to "learn" the VGT. From what I've read, either Cummins or StarScan programmers had to be used.
It would seem to me you could buy an awful lot of parts and tools for 4 grand. Heck, I've only owned 1 vehicle worth that much in the last 20 years.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:52 PM
DTR Mom

okay, Sherod, sent you the craigslist link for a rebuilt turbo for a 5.9. he calls it a six but the pic is from a 5.9. 150 bucks. 2008 unit.

I know nothing about the computer being able to recognize it. maybe the dealer or a tune up shop can help.

Larry!!! yes, off the computer and into trouble with the grankids!!! priorities man!

it was sunny. I did things outside. everyone is cranky around here. I did my best to leave them laughing. hiding in the house before I have to make supper.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:53 PM
DTR Mom

Originally Posted by j_martin
It would seem to me you could buy an awful lot of parts and tools for 4 grand. Heck, I've only owned 1 vehicle worth that much in the last 20 years.
that is because folks like us are resourceful.. some would say cheap. I like resourceful....
Old 04-25-2015, 07:09 PM

Yea, I'm normally pretty good at fitting both those descriptors. This time, I just got to bite it. Believe it or not, even with this purchase along with what I gave for the truck, I'm still ahead according to NADA.