Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

It's 8:30 PM . . Ring . . Ring . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's 8:30 PM . . Ring . . Ring . .

I just got off the phone with a Daimler-Chrysler Representative, and they called me. It 8:30 PM !!! Anyway, it seems that they wanted MORE information about the lastest dealer survey form I completed regarding my last visit to my local dealership. They also wanted to discuss the 3-page letter I wrote regarding a few concerns I had regarding exactally what would be covered under warranty since most major issues were finding a way to have warranty denials. I flat out asked them if they actually honored their warranty or was I sold a bill of goods. I also asked them the value of the warranty in the retail pricing, because if I had any further encounters over gauges, tires, or whatever, I would be taking legal action to recover that amount. So, let me tell you guys that it does pay to probe them about all the bs that a dealership/or rep may give us about this stuff BECAUSE they are trying to stop all the owner hostilities regarding this stuff. My final words to them was to put their answers in writing regarding my questions, otherwise as far as I was concerned all the conversation I just finished with them was heresay.

CD
Old 03-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Banned

go get 'em. keep up posted. but i am impressed that you got them to call you!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:14 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Many dealerships have forgotten that people buy a vehicle as much for the dealership as for the vehicle brand.

I have talked to a few life long chevy guys that went to ford just because the dealer sold his chevy dealership and started up a ford dealership a few years later.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:44 PM

All I can say is that I filled out the survey honestly regarding the dealership and it's service, not a really bad report - but - not the best either. I think the letter I wrote got their attention more.

I did discuss how removed they were from their customers and also how their policies regarding aftermarket parts and accessories were alienating people from their products. I brought up the need for them to go to websites like this one and get a feel for the public opinion and the concerns people had regarding possible warranty situations and how they will be taken care of/or not.

I bought my truck because of the brand and even more specifically because of the engine. The local dealer is a dual dealership, GM and Dodge, and I would say that the GM side of things is their primary. The DC side is Jeep and Dodge Trucks. They use a couple bays for the Dodge work, and a dozen or so others for the GM's.

My truck has had NO problems that a tsb or 2 did not fix. I had the 2 recalls-ABS and fuel tank vent, otherwise I have not been to the dealer other than to have the speeo/tire setting done. That specific trip is the one I gave a mediocre rating, and I actually paid for that visit. My letter was written regarding my concerns about several things that seem to be creeping into the 2006 models, specifically the fuel filtering being still insuficient at 7-microns, the steering issues and DW, and most of all the poor electrical design of the trailer wiring. I basically told them that people buy these trucks to work them, towing was my main concern and their electrical situation was totally and completely an engineering disaster. I also sent in along with the letter and the survey a copy of 3 oil analysis reports. The first one was using their crappy stock air filter, and the next two were results using the Amsoil nano filter. There was a remarkable amount of silicone differences between the first two, their filter failed the test and the Amsoil filter did a considerable better job. The third report showed that the Amsoil filter was consistent with the second test in properly filtering out the dirt. I had a run-in with the NEW service manager over my filter at my last visit, and he threatened my warranty. I gave him a copy of my test reports and he more or less suggested what I could do with my reports and if I did not get the right filter he would see that my warranty would be red flagged. Well, DC will be contacting him about my using the filter I am using and how he needs to change his attitude.

So, I guess I will see if they put it into writing regarding my filter, and also discuss a couple other things I had questions about.

CD
Old 03-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't stand dealerships.... I was helping my mom shop for her new car last weekend, and we went into a ford dealer in mount vernon because they had the color she is going to buy. She is gonna buy the car up here in bellingham but wanted to show me the color. The dealer walked up and asked the normal in your face questions, and she insisted that she's just looking and wanted to show me the color and that she already worked out a deal in the bellingham ford dealership, right after she said that his whole attitude changed, and she asked where the pearl Edge was and he said, "oh it's out there somewhere, just walk around and you'll see it".... So funny how they don't care, I mean she's still buying a ford that will keep u in business...lol, it was just funny how his attitude chaged so fast once she said she was buying from the other dealership...
Old 03-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Banned

they really only have there interest's in mind, so anything they can slip in that will make it less of a liability to them the better. Like mods, anything to say, "that caused the problem, we can't fix it."
Old 03-10-2007, 01:23 AM

So why wouldn't his attitude change? He makes his living selling to customers. Since the sale has already been made and by a different dealership no less, why would, or should he spend any time with you? Give your head a shake man. Just go walk through the lot and find the right car. Or drive to Bellingham. They'll be a lot more helpful. They got the $$$$.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by greatwhite
So why wouldn't his attitude change? He makes his living selling to customers.
Ideally, he's making his living on a passion for superior customer service and a strong belief in the product that he's selling. Of course, that's not likely how the average salesperson looks at it. In a perfect world....
Old 03-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Chapter President

It's called customer service and dealing with people how you would like to be dealt with. I go WAYYYYY out of my way on jobsites to help people and I don't have to. I'm there to fix our machine and move on to the next job. But I do take it a step beyond. Maybe that is why so many guys on so many jobs have my cell number and why when I go to some of these jobsites they greet me with smiles and handshakes. We will at times talk about guns, deer hunting and other things. Maybe it's just me, it's in my nature to be helpful and my wife tells me at times I'm too nice. So maybe this salesman thing above is just how I see it and how I would have handled it. Maybe being nice and taking the time to show her exactly where the car was would have gotten him the next sale or maybe some of her service work. But basically it comes back to being human and having a soul and mostly....a heart.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Banned

the thing is, we were talking about it after we left that dealership, if the guy was really helpful even after she said she was gonna buy through the local dealer, and he was really helpful and informative, she said she might have bought it from them since they had the color in already.... Thats his job, once we walk out of the dealership, he just goes and sits at his desk thinking of a new sale's pitch, so he should be helpful no matter what... Plus word of mouth, u gotta build a good reputation or people won't come to you.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by greatwhite
So why wouldn't his attitude change? He makes his living selling to customers. Since the sale has already been made and by a different dealership no less, why would, or should he spend any time with you? Give your head a shake man. Just go walk through the lot and find the right car. Or drive to Bellingham. They'll be a lot more helpful. They got the $$$$.
He is not a good salesman. 16+ years ago my wife & I made a fact finding trip to Mississippi and Louisiana. The field I worked in was being sold and we were just checking out all of the different towns were my company had operations. At each town we would stop at a Realtor and inquire about housing costs, Church's, Schools, etc.. We would explain up front that we were not buying at that time, merely scoping out the town. Most were very friendly and would give us some addresses to drive by with some details, etc.
We got to Thibodaux, LA and went into the local Century 21, we started talking to a salesman there who seemed pretty friendly until we told him that we were just scoping things out. He then became to busy to talk to us and pawned us off on a nice, older lady by the name of Ms. Audrey Roussell. She treated us like we were the most valued customer she had ever seen (we also explained to her our purpose for being there). She would not just give out the info we sought, but insisted on giving us a driving tour of the town. After cruising around town for what must have been an hour it was finally time for us to leave.
8-9 months later we ended up moving to Thibodaux. Guess who we used as a Realtor? Even after we closed the deal, she arranged to have our gas, water and electric turned on. She also gave us a handle for the water shut off valve in the front yard. She apologized for not being able to get the phone hooked up. (The phone Company insisted that we come in). None of this was necessary. The deal was already done and she had already made her commission.
5 years later we sold our house and moved. Guess who we used as our Realtor? I noticed on the wall of the Century 21 office that they have plaques up on the wall of Millionair Club members.(These were agents who sold more than $1 Million dollars worth of real estate). Her name was always the top sales. I wonder why?
If you make your living selling things, you better treat everyone like they are a potential customer, even if they aren't buying anything that day. You know? Box5's mother may buy another car some day.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Banned

couldn't have said it better ^.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:02 AM

Mike, your saleslady was doing her job to the max. While you may or may not have been buying that day, you were interested to see what was on offer. And so she showed you and wowed you.

If however, you had walked int to her Century 21 office, told her you had just bought a 1500 square foot, 3 bedroom home from the Remax agent, but you wanted to see some others so you could decide what colour to paint the one you bought, the service would probably not have been so stellar. Still personable, but not stellar.

"and she insisted that she's just looking and wanted to show me the color and that she already worked out a deal in the bellingham ford dealership,"

So why should he waste his time with someone who's already bought at another dealership? Sorry, I'm sticking with my answer.

"the thing is, we were talking about it after we left that dealership, if the guy was really helpful even after she said she was gonna buy through the local dealer, and he was really helpful and informative, she said she might have bought it from them since they had the color in already...."

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. If, if, if.... If my grandmother had wings, she'd be an airplane. "might have" switched. Tell you what. You BS your friends, and I'll BS mine, but lets not BS each other.

Mom bought the car locally in Bellingham because that only makes sense. Selling dealer close in case of service or recall work, along with the "I bought it from you" lever. Don't dis the salesman because he elected to go after a live prospect rather than a no win, already sold fish that's not even in his boat.

It's all about the Benjamins. Never forget that. No matter how much one crows about superior customer service, the bottom line is always the bottom line and how to grow it. Whatever it takes to make the sale. But if you missed the sale, then move on to make the next one. Car sales is a pretty cut throat way to earn a living. It's not hard to be unemployed. Just be the guy or gal that sold the least cars 2 months in a row. You'll get to practice your technique elsewhere.

Oh, btw, I'm not a salesman. But I am a realist.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

she doesn't have anything on paper, she just plans on buying from the local dealer to support them, he could have pursuaded her to his dealership if he would have put some effort in and been outgoing no matter what.