Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

IRT deadliest roads...Anybody else watching?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
IRT deadliest roads...Anybody else watching?

Just WOW!!! I get the nervous sweats just watching them. That is the craziest driving I have EVER seen and I have driven in Mexico!!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It's on my DVR list. When I watched the episode last week where they were driving in Delhi, I had flashbacks to when I was there. There are absolutely ZERO manners when it comes to driving, walking, biking, etc over there. Everyone just wants to get there first and they don't care how they do it. Most roads that were marked for two lanes of traffic had cars 4 or 5 wide, with motorcycles sneaking through any opening.

After riding around in the city, there is NO WAY I'd want to be on one of those cliffside roads with any of them.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:41 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the episode in India... uhm. yea. thats not driving.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:48 PM

Yea, they are in India right now. I have never seen such bad drivers in my life. They must have MANY deaths everyday.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:51 PM

I haven't been to India yet, but Indonesia and Cairo are pretty close second and third.
Altho the driver in Kaz operating a RSD vehicle on the right side of the road while watching TV ranks high on my panic meter...
Old 10-10-2010, 08:53 PM

That may be reason they come over here and buy gas stations and hotels. Tired of driving in that crap.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:29 PM

I'm sure it is somewhat over dramatized (For TV) but I bet it is still like a constant game of chicken!! No regard for right of way, no lines, and really no correct side of the road.
They showed a scene where they were waiting for a train to pass and as soon as the gates raised, a bunch of people on scooters drove right at each other across the tracks!! What a bunch of absolute idiots.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
I'm sure it is somewhat over dramatized (For TV) but I bet it is still like a constant game of chicken!! No regard for right of way, no lines, and really no correct side of the road.
They showed a scene where they were waiting for a train to pass and as soon as the gates raised, a bunch of people on scooters drove right at each other across the tracks!! What a bunch of absolute idiots.
some of it may be... the drivers (actors) overacting about the close calls, but other than tthat, no, its a pretty good representation of third world country driving styles.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep watched it while ago, I dont think I could do it, I barely can handle city driving lol... Alex didnt make it out of town before he had 2 accidents.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:02 AM

Spent some time in Japan in my younger years ( by uncle sams request) . I don't know how it is now, but then, you put it in gear, held the horn button down, mashed the throttle, and aimed for a open spot. I think some of them have moved to Az, and sitll think they are in Japan.........
Old 10-11-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
On the city parts, that's all pretty true to life...no extra drama needed. If there is an open area of road that your vehicle will just barely fit into, it's your duty to get there by any means necessary. As for the scooters, it seems like a 50/50 split between them and cars on the side roads. When the light is red, the front of the pack looks just like that railroad crossing. They all work their way to the front of the line and they have no fear of the cars around them.

I grabbed this picture on my way into work one day. People worry about motorcyle safety over here, but over there you just put the kid between two adults and call it good. Plus, you can't really see it in the picture, but the woman is actually holding a smaller kid on her lap while she rides side-saddle.
Attached Thumbnails IRT deadliest roads...Anybody else watching?-img_0211.jpg  
Old 10-11-2010, 12:16 PM

that looks pretty safe.
I mean, one is wearing a helmet and there are only four on the bike. no one is on a hand phone.
I passed on scooter (moped) in indonesia. one kid (about the size on the bike pictured) standing on dads feet holding onto the handle bars, dad on the phone, another smaller kid between mom and dad. Mom holding a baby and on another hand phone.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

They need me and Chaikwa to build'em up a bumper.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Redleg
They need me and Chaikwa to build'em up a bumper.
if they had bumpers, the couldn't fit as many scooter per square inch...
Old 10-11-2010, 02:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, guys, don't elieve everything you see on tv. I'm working in williston North Dakota right now for a very large energy services company, and we have a gentleman who was on ice road truckers for one season. He is supposedly our trucking guru. He's a total moron. I and many other fellas working here have more miles going backwards than this dude has going forward. I've had numerous new hands come to me with questions that they took too him first, and he told them some of the most assinine hooey I've ever heard in my life!!! Beware the television my friends. It is definately nowhere near the truth. Oh, and I've not just worked here in N.D., I've run the oil field roads in CO. UT. NM. and drove in Angola, Kuwait, (When I was in the USMC), Somalia, Kazikstan, Iraq, Georgia,(In the former USSR), and Azerbajian. So I kinda know a few things...
Just my 2 cents...

Quick Reply: IRT deadliest roads...Anybody else watching?