Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Internet problem browsing forums...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Internet problem browsing forums...

On my computer at work today I encountered a strange problem. I could surf the web with no problems except for this and two other sites I visit. On those three sites I could get the the main page but it would only load the top of the page but would not let me see any of the forums themselves. I never had any issue like this before. I did have some "Updates" waiting for me this morning which required a restart but I can't remember if I even checked the web before I restarted or not. I do know that all of a sudden I have a "PHISHING" filter that may have something to do with this but even if I disable it the problem is there. I have adjusted the firewall and even yanked all my security measures just to see if the pages will load, but nothing! Of course I have put all the security measures back in place.
Anyone have any idea what I should check next? Maybe the bosses put something in my computer to keep me busy working all day....
Old 12-18-2008, 07:07 PM

Sounds like Web-Sense to me...the USMC uses it.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Could be that your bosses don't like AJAX functionality or javascript. You must have javascript activated to use the site.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:38 AM

I'll check that when I get in this morning....

Thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 11:27 AM

Well, I still have the problem. What I found out is that even though it tells me the page is done loading (still only showing the top half of the page only) if I wait about two minutes then the rest of the page will finally load. Any other site I go to loads just fine and very quickly. It's only forums with the same format as this one that are giving me the problems.
I'm actually typing this on my work computer right now.
Any other ideas?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you cleared all your cache and cookies? Have you checked to see if your missing or need some plugins installed? Have you cleaned your computer up of unecessary browsing history? I've had that issue sometimes on other web sites. I'm not a computer nerd, but this is where I would start...
Old 12-22-2008, 09:47 PM
DTR Founder

What browser are you using? IE or Firefox? I'm curious if one works better than the other.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just switched to FireFox Jack and it is noticeably better than IE7 on the forums, more responsive and pages load quicker. No problems at all...
Old 12-23-2008, 04:12 AM

Yes I cleared my history and cookies. Not sure what browser the computer has but it worked just fine before the other day when this started happening. It's basically like being back on a dial-up connection at 26K trying to load a picture. Very slow and it's that way for each page I try to view.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:27 AM
DTR Founder

Ok, so not trying to be mean but you can't tell which browser you're using? Go to the help menu, then click about. I understand it's slow for you and that's what we want to get fixed, but the fix is going to have to be on your end.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:46 AM

Sorry, It's Internet Explorer. I wasn't sure what you meant by "IE"

All of a sudden, just now, this site loads super fast. The other sites still won't load properly though.

Oh well, I'm leaving for mandatory vacation until Jan 5th. I won't worry about it until then. My computer at home works just fine...

Thanks for the suggestions...