Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Internet access over cell phone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Internet access over cell phone?

I have heard that since my phone is wireless web enabled (or whatever it is called) that rather than using the "browser" built into the phone, I can connect my phone via USB cable to my laptop and actually have internet access that way (not dialing up, but connecting to Verizon's wireless internet network). I also heard that it only counts as airtime...

Does anyone have a clue how to do this?
Old 12-22-2003, 07:43 PM

Re:Internet access over cell phone?

I've got the Kyocera smart phone that has the palm pilot and other goodies. I had to buy the software to make it work, you'll have to download it to your laptop or computer. I used the same set up on my old phone when traveling, but best connection was only 20kbps, but since my plan calls for 1500 minutes, who cares, most of my time was just checking and answering e-mails, but with the Kyocera, I can still send and recieve e-mails without the laptop, and even browse the web, but without pictures, so you may can still visit here on your phone. I'll try and see how it works on mine, but I will say the browser stinks and is slow. If you buy one of these smart phones, you have to learn to "write" all over again but it's bailed me out of some spots and got me work because they don't know I was really fishing
Old 12-22-2003, 08:14 PM

I have Verizon Express network. You have to have an Express Network account to get on it. Express Network is quite a bit faster than a regular dial up (230400kbs) depending on your signal. If you are not in an Express Network area you can use Quick 2 Net that only counts as minutes but it is only at 14.4kbs which is only 1/4 as fast as a regular dial up connection (very slow). If you decide to try it you will need the Mobile Office Kit for your phone about $70.00. If you are only going to use Quick 2 Net I would say save your money for something better, like anything towards the truck.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:26 PM

I sell Verizon, and billg is right about the Verizon network services. The one thing he did not mention is that the Mobile Office Kits come with a compression software that will let you get about 40k throughput on the Quick 2 Net service. If you use the Quick 2 Net, the only charge is that it uses your airtime minutes. I use it on my laptop and am satisfied with it. It is great for e-mail and ok for web browsing if you are not in a hurry. If you have any questions, PM me and I will do my best to answer them.

HTH

Jim
Old 12-23-2003, 05:25 AM
Chapter President

I use my cell phone and my laptop for wireless internet use

My cell phone is a Motorola 60i and all I needed was a usb cable....my puter see my cell phone as a modem...all you need is a dialup ISP no other software or service is needed....you just use your cell phone mintues

As long as you have a good signal on your cell phone this works fine.....My girlfriend even uses this setup as we are traveling in my truck......my setup cost about $250 for the phone and $29 for the USB cable setup my dialup ISP runs $9.95 a month and I have a list of local dialup numbers for areas that I travel in

Old 12-23-2003, 08:05 AM

Yeah its very much Do-able. I have a samsung A-600 and use it to surf at 1x its actully faster then standard dial up.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:54 PM

Thanks guys. Im going to try out the Q2N to start off with. This'll be just for checking text e-mail!