Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
insurance question

So guys I hit a deer last night and did some considerable damage to the frontend of my truck, both cosmetic and mechanical . Heres my question.........my bumper is completely ruined, Id like to replace it w/ something alot stronger (ranchhand, road armor, etc....) but Im not sure how to explain this to the insurance company. I realize it may be more than a replacement stock bumper and Ill gladly pay it, however, the insurance company seems to want all repairs done by one shop?

any ideas? Im sure at least some of yall out there have dealt w/ this situation before.

thanks
Jeff
Old 06-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Banned

Work with the shop (shop of YOUR choice, not theirs - that's law). Have him generate the quote with the regular bumper. Then, once the adjuster accepts the claim, tell the shop you want to replace the bumper with your aftermarket one and how much more will it cost? Remember, they're already installing a bumper and getting paid for that plus the part, so make sure they're only giving you the difference as a quote.

I don't think there's anything unethical or illegal about this approach.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:16 PM

so would u suggest letting the shop install the aftermarket bumper? (the shop will probably be the dealer as a large portion of the damage is mechancial). The reason I ask is I would think it would take awhile to get the aftermarket bumper compared to a stock piece.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would be suprised. Most dealerships do this all the time. They will let you spend the insurance money however you want as long as the truck get repaired. You go to a truck stuff shop and pick out a bumper and they will either send the truck over to be installed or have it delivered and put it on themselves. Alot of times they can work it and it won't cost you any extra. I have done it a couple times. Them bodyshop service guys are pretty creative when it comes to insurance.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:39 PM

joel

How could someone leave Texas for Rhode Island and say "YAY"?
Old 06-19-2005, 08:53 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

One of our shop guys had his truck broken into and they stole the stereo (among other things). His insureance company wouldn't allow anything except stock replacement.

$500 factory replacement and all he wanted was a $100 stereo with a cd player.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:36 AM

Good, take the 500$ and buy the stereo that you want, and pocket the rest.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:59 AM

Re: insurance question

Originally posted by quantrill88

any ideas? Im sure at least some of yall out there have dealt w/ this situation before.

thanks
Jeff
My victim was an Audi rather than a deer, but what I did was just talk to the body shop and let them know that I wanted to replace the stock components with an aftermarket bumper. I also had a small stainless light bar on the front that was destroyed, and the body shop had me look up a replacement value for that and added it to the price of the stock bumper components. I ordered the bumper and had it shipped to the body shop and they put it on for me. The price of the ARB Sahara bar came out almost exactly even with the stock bumper parts and the light bar, the shop charged $75 extra to install it. When it was all said and done, they cut me a check for the amount of the parts minus the $75.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:58 PM

Thanks for all the replys guys. Insurance guys still havent come to take a look at it yet .

I do have another question though. Ive never really been through this before so sorry if this is a dumb question...........How is mechanical damage usually dealt with? Does the body shop usually deal with this or do I have to make arrangements somewhere else?

thanks again
Jeff
Old 06-21-2005, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by quantrill88
Thanks for all the replys guys. Insurance guys still havent come to take a look at it yet .

I do have another question though. Ive never really been through this before so sorry if this is a dumb question...........How is mechanical damage usually dealt with? Does the body shop usually deal with this or do I have to make arrangements somewhere else?

thanks again
Jeff
Body shop should deal with it. Mine required only minimal mechanical work, but they took care of all of it.