Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I'm Loosing Confidence In Bush

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm management salaried and I get 1 1/2 times for anything over 40, well, atleast for now I do anyway. I guess we'll see how long that lasts. During a shut down though, we are forced to work 72 to 80 hours a week.
Do you think Bush is actually driving this move to eliminate OT?
Wake up man, it's big business driving this move using him as a mouthpiece to keep more money in their pockets.

Like my buddy says, stop me when I'm lieing.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Federal Labor laws protect us all in every state. I once worked for a [*Edited*] that sent me on a job, I had over 120 hours in 7 days, was on the job for 2 weeks. When I returned home, I told him I was going to spend some time with my father, who was in the hospital, (dieing), on the second day, he called and told my wife that if I didn't show up at work the next day I was fired. When I came home from the hospital that night, she told me what he had said, SO, the next morning, I went to "work", Kat was in the truck because I had the 45 and 3 clips in my shoulder holster, I walked in, opened the back door and started to load my tools. Brainieack came out and started to flap his gums, his father, who was really the money man, came out and told me to take all the time I needed with my father. You don't wanna know what I said, I WAS HOT. I was not management, just salary. Federal law says if you are not management, but on salary, they have to either give you time off for hours worked, or pay you at straight time. I got a NICE little check out of the [*Edited*]. Don't get P.O.ed, get even, use the law to your advantage, all it''ll cost is a few phone calls.

[Edited by Admin]
Old 01-18-2004, 08:20 PM
cp

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Management and saleried workers are exempt from the overtime and hours regulations.
Not all salaried workers are exempt from overtime regulations. Salaried NON-exempt workers get overtime just like hourly people. For example, an engineer is exempt but an engineering technologist is non-exempt where I work. Sometimes it pays to NOT have a degree.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:21 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Last warning. If I see another edited post, this one will be done.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:00 AM

The main reason I started this thread was to broaden my view on a few different subjects. Thanks to everyone who has stated their opinions. I have a different outlook on these subjects now. I think this thread has served its purpose.
thanks Jack.
Phillip
Old 01-19-2004, 10:14 AM
JKE

CP - sorry about the confusion....I should have stated NON-EXEMPT. I have an associates degree and working on BSEE. Here, the stipulation for the OT is based on salary level or pay grade. THere are men here with associates or no degree that are above the OT cut off yet get OT anyway???? I think there are exceptions to the rule. I am not complaining. I like my job and the company. According to the rules, I am close to the OT cut off. Reviews are being evaluated now and pay raises will come for some of us mid February. I want a raise, but do not want to go over the cut off. Getting my BSEE will result in loss of OT. I may lose it before then anyway.

PM me if you have other questions.

JKE
Old 01-19-2004, 10:05 PM

My BAD Jack, but after thinking about it, that was the NICEST word I could think of to call someone who would do that, don't lock the thread because of me. I'll be a good boy
Old 01-20-2004, 05:10 AM

Keep focus on what is best for the country as a whole; a famous democrate said, "Ask not what your country . . .." Let's focus on the latter part of that quote.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:35 AM

I'm not a fan of President Bush. Didn't vote for him, won't vote for him. But there have been things I liked - the war in Afghanistan was absolutely necessary. The Space initiative works for me - though George HW Bush proposed the same things over a decade ago and didn't get a thing done. I'm surprised to find myself to the right of the President on this immigration issue - if they want to let more folks in, why not just loosen the reins a bit on legal immigration? Rewarding folks for getting here illegally isn't the way to go IMHO. And whoever noted a lack of sympathy were the President to catch a bullet, dude, you need to see a psychologist. Even though I disagree with almost everything about this President, he's still the President. And for all the folks who had the "Charlton Heston is MY President" bumperstickers, I don't think any of you can say a single word about folks disrespecting the President - since your own disrespect was so blatant for so long.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'm gonna do a far fling on my 2c....

First of all, the bullet in the head stuff for just having a different opinion IMHO qualifies for a job at such lovely organisations like Al-Quaida or any one of the numerous jihads.
On the other hand I do not like Mr. Bush's foreign policy. Especially the war in Iraq. The disrespect and badmouthing of my country when we, following the policy of neutrality that was a main concern to the US after WW2 and is a part of our constitution, did not allow US military airplanes to cross our country. Even though there had been sightings of violatioons of our borders and formal notes of protest the only outcome was that Austria was badmouthed on TV by Mr. Powell and some of the generals. Not a bit of an excuse from the side of the US president until now as far as I know.
I do also think that the call for the UN to help now is a bit on the weird side. First of all a war was starded with explicit dissent from the UN. Now the claimed target (peace in Iraq) hasn't been reached by far. And the perspectives for Iraq aren't that great either. (Maybe the perspectives for some companies that do have a hot wire to the US president are good)
Now the US seems to want the UN to join their debacle in Iraq, but not give the powers there into other hands. I think that since the recipe of the US hasn't worked there to ask the UN to cook on after the same recipe without power to change ingredients or procedures and then to take responsibility when it goes wrong again shows the basic contempt and underestimation of intelligence for everybody not US-American by this government.
I think that the US is in danger to lose credibility in other countries regarding the validity of the US constitution. Any opinion differing from the official US point of view seems to be taken as a personal insult against all americans, if one person from a country states such an heresy the whole country where this guy originated will be condemned and generally there are only lunatics and fools everywhere else on the globe. At least that's how this US government is perceived by me.
I don't generalize this towards the american people since I've got to know quite some of them and found that the individuals I met weren't at all like that.

I'd better stop my now.

AlpineRAM
Old 01-20-2004, 01:54 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
This has been a very interesting thread. I have a question for all of you talking politics, foreign policy etc. Where are you getting your information from to come to an informed decision? Do you have access to information other than the media? If what you have said on this thread is based on what you have gleaned from the media, how accurate do you think your basis for making judgments and decisions are? I say all this because the media is more and more distorting the truth and biasing stories to stir the pot or 'prove' their own agenda. I am not saying that some of you are wrong, but I do question if what you are standing on is sand or rock.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:13 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I based my opinion on these topics on what I read about this stuff in several different newspapers (from different countries), including online versions of US newspapers.
Some sources were publications of the UN, the US government and some of the European governments concerned (also online publications)
Some other stuff came from friends at the Austrian military.
I hope that I labelled my post as an opinion and as my perception of issues clear enough.

The value of these discussions is that you can enter them with an opinion and leave them with either you opinion confirmed or altered- but always a little more informed than before.

AlpineRAM
Old 01-20-2004, 07:15 PM

I've noticed while traveling "around" that each different world wide news organizasion will put a certain amount of "spin" on the stories for the area they are broadcasting, i.e. CNN, MSNBC, FOX. I think if there was one that would broadcast world wide and tell the TRUTH, they'd be off the air in about 5 minutes. It all boils down to what you want to hear and beleive, but we ALL should be smart enough to read between the lines. I'm supposed to be going to Brazil in a month or two, and gonna love to hear what they have to say about it all, momma won't let me visit one of our suppliers in India, just yet Naw it ain't no where near Pakistan or Bin Laden Land But they'd just love my accent if I did go, guess I'd have to take my on grits and Iced Tea