Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I'm an idiot, please help me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm an idiot, please help me.

Well today, I decided to run a screw right thru a wire in the wall. Found the problem when things didn't work. Once I removed the offending screw, the breaker no longer tripped, and that's how I figured out where to make a hole in the wall for repairs. This wire runs horizontally thru holes in all the upright studs, and I was lucky enough to land my screw right in the center of one of those dang holes!

So I have the hole installed in the wall and I'll have to repair the section of wire with the hole in it. I didn't think it would be 'right' to just leave wire nuts hanging loose in the wall when I spliced in a new section of wire, so I'm thinking I'll need to put a junction box where the splices need to be. Am I correct in this line of thinking? Replacing the whole line isn't an option without ripping out the entire wall and starting over.

Thank goodness I don't have as much trouble makin' the coffee!

chaikwa.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of line is it?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:36 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Well today, I decided to run a screw right thru a wire in the wall. Found the problem when things didn't work. Once I removed the offending screw, the breaker no longer tripped, and that's how I figured out where to make a hole in the wall for repairs. This wire runs horizontally thru holes in all the upright studs, and I was lucky enough to land my screw right in the center of one of those dang holes!

So I have the hole installed in the wall and I'll have to repair the section of wire with the hole in it. I didn't think it would be 'right' to just leave wire nuts hanging loose in the wall when I spliced in a new section of wire, so I'm thinking I'll need to put a junction box where the splices need to be. Am I correct in this line of thinking? Replacing the whole line isn't an option without ripping out the entire wall and starting over.

Thank goodness I don't have as much trouble makin' the coffee!

chaikwa.
Didn't you ever wonder why I have so many receptacles around the cabin? Last I knew it should be a junction box instead of burying a splice, unless there has been something approved lately for in-the-wall splices. You can just put a blank plate over it if you don't want to put a duplex there, but it might be easier to wire one than to get enuff slack to splice them. Be carefully of stripping the sheath downstrean when you pull on it.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:41 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I would put a duplex receptal there, just so you dont look like an id10t that run a screw thru the wall and messed up your wires or that you were too cheap to buy enough wire the first time.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Redleg
Last I knew it should be a junction box instead of burying a splice. You can just put a blank plate over it if you don't want to put a duplex there, but it might be easier to wire one than to get enuff slack to splice them.
I wasn't going to try and pull any slack, just cut out the bad section at the 2 studs on either side of the one I drilled thru, then put junction boxes on those 2 studs to hide the splices/wire nuts. Do the HAVE to stick out thru the wall? This is a dedicated computer line, so I didn't really want to go tapping into it with outlets. I was figuring if it's just gonna be a junction, why stick it thru the wall? Not a good thing? I'm going to cover the BIG hole in the wall with an access panel rather than try to splice in a section of paneling.

chaikwa.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
I would put a duplex receptal there, just so you dont look like an id10t that run a screw thru the wall and messed up your wires or that you were too cheap to buy enough wire the first time.
Thank you for the confirmation of my idiocy!

Gawd I feel like such a dope!

chaikwa.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Banned

pour a bit of that "coffee" on there, it should weld itself, but be ready with water, to quench it !

I like the duplex idea best.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:51 PM

Normally, the code calls for some slck at each outlet, if you have some outlets in the area, you may get enuff slack to only need to put a box on one stud, just pull it to the closest of the two. I'm not exactly in the loop these days, but last I knew, the code said it had to be accessable, with a cover plate. I'm not sure if it's more for "awareness" of a connection there, as opposed to being a fire hazzard covering it up. Unfortunately, my handy-dandy, resident fire-marshall isn't in tonight.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Have YOU been to the cabin?
Old 01-02-2007, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my neck of the woods, everything is ran thru metal conduit to avoid such situations in the first place...
Old 01-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by trik396
In my neck of the woods, everything is ran thru metal conduit to avoid such situations in the first place...
Wow, metal conduit IN the walls? Good idea I guess, but I've never heard of that.

chaikwa.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:25 PM

You run every wire in your house through metal conduit? That's why they make those metal plates that attach to the studs to protect the wires from screws and nails. A lot easier (and cheaper) than running 1000' of Romex through conduit.
The best thing to do is install a junction box and put a cover plate on it. That way you are definitely up to code.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:27 PM

get the truck of the month guy on here , he's a electrician!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cgraham
The best thing to do is install a junction box and put a cover plate on it. That way you are definitely up to code.
Yes, I think that's what I'm gonna do. Tomorrow. I've had enough for today!

Thanks for all the replies!

chaikwa.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:29 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

If Im going thru the trouble of running everything thru conduit, im using stranded wires.

Originally Posted by Redleg
Have YOU been to the cabin?
no, but Ive been to my house...

Quick Reply: I'm an idiot, please help me.