Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I'm declaring war on Wally World

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm declaring war on Wally World

over two everstart batterys that are 1yr old this month, one crapped out, truck would not start, so I take the yellow top optima off the race car stick it on the truck and off to wally world to replace it, they stick a tester and it shows good. They say they'll have to check the alt on my truck before they can replace it, ok, it was showing 14.5 on the way up there but go head knock your self out.
one goes, comes back says alt bad, I could hear the heater grid kicking on and off from the sound of the motor while he was checking it. I tell him this, asked him to run the truck for a min and then check it. no go, if the tester says is bad, its bad. so i leave with no new battery, drive the truck for a week all the while its getting harder to start in the mornings, I'm thinking maybe there is something wrong. So I take the truck to a Diesel mechanic, and after two new interstate magatron batterys everything is a-ok. so now i have two 1 yr old everstart batterys in my garage floor that wally world says are good and won't replace. out 189.00 for two new batterys i quess thats my christmas present this year.
my only goal in life right now is to get two new batterys from wally world. I don't care if they sit and rot because i don't need them. they will replace them.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Grid heaters cycling is very hard on batteries and slow discharge after shut down causes sulfer build up and makes them die. Get yourself a Battery Minder. It desulfates batteries and makes them last.

http://www.vdcelectronics.com/

Take a volt meter and test your batteries 1st thing in the AM after they have rested and reached their current "condition". If they are less than 12.3 you need this charger. Mine run 12.8 for a month after using this charger for a day.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:00 AM

Go talk to a manager and tell him to go do a battery/alternator check.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:20 AM

go to a different walmart and leave the truck running, till they check it, so it will be charged when they check it.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:24 AM

Yes make sure the truck is fully charged and up to proper temp before letting them "test" it. Maybe even unplug the grid heater before they test it if you think thats whats making it fail.

Also make sure the terminals and battery top is clean and has no residue acid or corrosion.. They can decline the warranty for that.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:23 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Buying from wallyworld is like loaning money.

Dont do it unless your willing to throw it away.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:52 AM

Walmart sucks period.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:14 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

That is why us more knowledgable types call them NEVERSTARTS.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:40 PM

you know there was a reason that I spent roughly $540 on a set of twin odessy p2150's shiped to my door. from a company out of state www.batterymart.com for there customer service is supurb. After I placed my order over the phone. they gave me a call a few mins later confirm the order and say they were on there way out the door. nexted I got a call from the sale's person the day after my order arrived asked if they were every thing I expeted. I got a repeat call about a 2 weeks after that making sure that things are still going well and if I needed any more of there services. I haven't had any problems but I am sure they will be there when I need it. you get what you pay for. ya I spent alot more on mine but I see yours are only 1 year old. and needing replacement
Old 12-24-2006, 09:01 PM

----yawn-----

its obvious you were getting a lower reading b/c the grids were cycling. how cold is it in texas that your grid heaters are cycling that much? Here in upstate NY, mine never cycled for more than a few times before i permanently unhooked them, b/c i think they do unnecessary wear on the electrical systems and batteries. I had a walmart battery for more than a year in my CTD, and it had no problems running the grids, beacon light, plow lights, plow pump, headlights, etc. I only replaced it when i acquired a almost new group 31 srud post battery, which i perfer. I have never had a problem with a walmart battery
Old 12-24-2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by rockwithjason
Walmart sucks period.
Pretty Much!!! I spend a little more money elsewhere. In my book, its worth it. Hope ya get the battery thing worked out.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Banned

In all seriousness a customer can just about get anything they want if they raise enough heck, I know at the Lowes I work at we take returns and replace just about anything that is brought back. If you find out who their district manager is and make sure you let the manager you talk to next time you go know you will make a complaint he will do almost anything.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:22 PM

I've bought a lot of good stuff at a great price at wal-mart. Wal-mart used to go out of their way to stock items that are "Made in the USA". (I'm not sure if they still do) I would be ****** off at the idiot mechanic and not the corporation.... Have you explained the situation to the manager?

That being said, I hate shopping there because of the long lines.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:01 AM

Thumbs up

It must depend on the store.I had one of their batterys in my van,it gave up at just a little more than a year,they gave me a new one no questions asked. Didn't even check the old one.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rustbucket
It must depend on the store.
yes, it has more to do with how many people are ripping WallyWorld off on battery's, their Mgr must have put his foot down on replacing batteries,

and the Tech did not understand your truck's grid heaters.

I will go back and talk to a Mgr (nicely)

FWIW, i agree with "buying at WalMart is like loaning them money"

I don't buy anything there unless i need it to work less than a month or so, cause I know it wont' last. some little towns, that is hard to do, some folks have better luck,

but for me, it would be easier just to drive by and throw my money out the window, in the parking lot than to stand in line to buy something that won't last but a few uses.

Quick Reply: I'm declaring war on Wally World