Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I'm cummin to Texas!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm cummin to Texas!

That's right, my wife has some kind of week long business trip to San Antonio the first week of February, wanted me to go, and as an added incentive, she suggested I find "some kind of hunting trip". Say no more. The bags are packed son.

Any suggestions on what to do/see/hunt in that area? Only thing I can think of to hunt right off hand would be snow geese, maybe? Any good outfitters there? What would a guy do with a whole week of somewhat supervised freedom in San Antonio? And with a rental car, no less.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:01 PM

Feral hog huntin'!!!! If you have the land owner's permission, you don't even need a license
Deer season will be over by then.

~Rob
Old 09-19-2006, 07:18 PM

I never even thought of that, but it sure sounds like fun.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:20 PM

We hunt 'em at night on our lease. Spot light them from our ATV's (make sure there are no cows around ) then blast away It is really fun.

~Rob
Old 09-19-2006, 09:37 PM

That does sound like fun, I know where some feral hogs are near the OBX, some places it is illegal to kill them, some places you can shoot them wherever you want.

I've always wanted to go to Texas and hunt, maybe one day I'll be able to make it down there
Old 09-20-2006, 01:37 AM
Banned

Talking hunting

Timberman...
When i used to live there, i had a friend who worked for the 3rd largest land owner in Texas and he was the hunting "guide" on their big Ranch out west of San Antonio, if you're interested i can get a couple phone numbers and see if they still take folks out..send me a PM
Old 09-20-2006, 01:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Make sure you go down to the river walk at night. They have some fabulous restaurants and night life.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:43 AM

There's a couple ranches in that area that have exotics BIG $$$$$$. Also quail season will be open there lots of fun.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:17 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the warning we will be sure to pen the chickens
As for the hunting of hogs you will need a hunting license but there is no limit on the amount of hogs you can shoot. For more info go to www.tpwd.state.tx.us

Should be able to get some good info as to what and when seasons are open.
If you kill more pigs than a rent car will carry give me a call I'll bring the Dodge.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:34 AM

Here is some info on a license:

Non-resident 5-Day Special Hunting (Type 157): $45
Legal for any period of 5 consecutive days (valid hunting dates will be printed on the license when issued). Valid to hunt: Exotic animals, all legal game birds (except turkeys), all nongame animals, squirrel, javelina and alligator (not valid for other game animals, NOT VALID FOR DEER). Stamp endorsement requirements apply.
Click this link to see what are considered exotics (hogs are)

~Rob
Old 09-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MWomack
Also quail season will be open there lots of fun.
As long as you don't shoot your hunting partner in the face.

February is also open season for snipe. Snipe hunting is by far one of the most challenging and exciting bird you can hunt for in Texas...and the area around San Antonio offers some GREAT snipe hunting.

Ditto on the River Walk. That's a must for anyone who has never been to San Antonio.

Also, you still have to have a license to hunt feral hogs or other exotics, but there's no bag limit or closed season.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MWomack
There's a couple ranches in that area that have exotics BIG $$$$$$.
Yeah...there's nothing better than shooting caged animals just for the fun of it.

Sorry...I'm just not a fan of that type of hunting...or any trophy hunting for that matter.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:09 PM

You all are great. Thanks for the good info. I don't know about the exotics, especially the $$$$$ part, but hogs sound great. I definitely would like to get in on a grade A hog slayathon, so you'll definitely need the dodge, Bigfoot. And a big dump trailer too, and maybe a loader. I'll keep looking into the snow goose season. Will definitely check out the waterfront too.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:44 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you’re going to go hog hunting, two things to remember.

1) Shoot 1-2 meat hogs (60-80 lbs) have them made into German sausage, buy a cooler and some dry ice and take it home .You will not be sorry.
2) After going hog hunting (for big ones, especially with dogs) the old saying he went to defecate in the woods and a hog got him will take on a whole new meaning.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love hog hunting. Weapon of choice is 7.62mm NATO battle rifles.

MikeyB

Quick Reply: I'm cummin to Texas!