Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Illinois Trooper charged after high speed wreck kills two

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Illinois Trooper charged after high speed wreck kills two

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...D?OpenDocument
It doesn't mention it here but he claims a vehicle cut in front of him and he hit the median to avoid it . A google shows several witnesses making statements about the trooper's excessive speed but no info has surfaced about the vehicle the trooper claimed cut him off . How would you LEO's have reacted ? I doubt any of you would have been going in excess of 120 m.p.h. in the first place . My opinion on it is what is often advised when someone comes in your lane . If you maintain your lane and hit them , no matter how it turns out you at least are not at fault . Leave your lane and you are negligent and liable .
This was a tragic , needless ending of 2 lives .
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...A?OpenDocument

Last edited by RickG; 04-01-2008 at 05:26 AM. Reason: More info
Old 04-01-2008, 06:01 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Careful. Those better than the rest of us will be in shortly to point out how little you/we know of the matter. They govern you/us and are above question.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Truly saddening, my condolences to the girls families. I would like to see his dash cam video, as far as going 126 mph, that is just flat out stupid.

Tim
Old 04-01-2008, 06:14 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
Careful. Those better than the rest of us will be in shortly to point out how little you/we know of the matter. They govern you/us and are above question.
Still suffering some self esteem issue's I see. There are places to go for help.

Tim
Old 04-01-2008, 06:18 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Bite me Sir.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The article is kind of vague. But, I guess the big question is why was he driving 126mph ? The article doesn't mention why he claims he needed to get to the secured accident scene in such a hurry.... There very well could have been a reason but it sure doesn't sound like it from reading the article.

It is a shame that 2 young people lost their lives in the process..
Old 04-01-2008, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live less than 15 miles from where this took place and can still see the pain it caused to the whole community. I understand the dash cam was turned off. The officer was responding to an accident (minor injury) and was about 4 to 5 miles away from the scene when he had his accident. Although I have the utmost respect for the LEOs, I think his actions were not prudent or justified. Should he loose his job? Yes, he's proven to not use sound judgement. Should he go to jail? I think a jury will have to decide.

The question of another vehicle cutting him off remains a mystery and a dash cam being turned on would have verified it (he violated procedure here). But if a vehicle is traveling at a high rate of speed (120 +) and another vehicle is merging onto the highway, the difference in speed would be close to 80 mph. It would be extremely easy to not see the LEO during your initial over the shoulder look when merging and when you looked again, there he is. I want to be clear here because I believe that IF there was another vehicle involved, they absolutely should have stopped.

Where this accident occurred, the highway was reducing from three eastbound lanes to two. A tire blowing out or some sort of mechanical failure could have just as easily have happened and when traveling those speeds, your options would be severely limited and your reaction time to take an option even more limited. Bottom line in my opinion was the officer was just going too fast and the speed was not justified. He put too many lives at risk.

Either way, the end result is tradegy for all involved. My prayers go out to both families.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:30 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
BC, I don't know what your deal is but you obviously have some kind of problem with LE and others in a position of authority. Like it or not, that's life and somehow you seem to think you're perfect. Having said that, this thread is closed. You should know better than to talk that way to someone on here.

You can thank yourself for this thread being closed.