Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

If you were me what would you do? (EE's and ME's look)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with mtedwards. Get a job at performance shop if that is what your business goal is, keep going to school to have a job to build up a bank account....cause opening a business, your gonna need it. Stay away from dealerships, auto repair if you want to learn how to build engines,transmissions. What you'll need as far as performance will be learned hands on, playing with different combinations of things to find out what works best and this is from experience.

If you plan on building tube chasis's you might seek out a welding school as well. That is also something that is learned, skill trade and cannot just jump in and weld something that is gonna support a load. That's why engineers design stuff, welders weld it, dumb techs like me fix stuff gm puts together. Nothing against you engineer guys, I'm sure by the posts you guys on here are pretty handy, our(the shop techs) thoughts on GM engineers is they could'nt build a quality outhouse.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
I'm gonna stick with EE and see if I want ME after I graduate.
What field of EE in school are you going to study?
Old 09-22-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
Dude, it would only be an extra semester and a summer or so. All the math and other stuff are the same except the specific engineering stuff.
At my school, Tennessee Tech, it would have been 4 full semesters to get all the EE classes to get a double major.

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
Nothing against you engineer guys, I'm sure by the posts you guys on here are pretty handy, our(the shop techs) thoughts on GM engineers is they could'nt build a quality outhouse.
Believe me they probably couldn't. I worked with Ford and GM engineers when I was at Bosch and I'm suprised they could tie their shoes in the morning.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:21 PM

[QUOTE=mtedwards;1138749]At my school, Tennessee Tech, it would have been 4 full semesters to get all the EE classes to get a double major.QUOTE]

Well, I said a semester and a summer, so add one more. Like I said it may not even happen. I will get the EE, I might get the ME just cause I want to and to have more job opportunity.

Yeah, engineers for car compainies prolly couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

I have to agree with mtedwards. Get a job at performance shop if that is what your business goal is, keep going to school to have a job to build up a bank account....cause opening a business, your gonna need it. Stay away from dealerships, auto repair if you want to learn how to build engines,transmissions. What you'll need as far as performance will be learned hands on, playing with different combinations of things to find out what works best and this is from experience.
Actually this is the best thing that could happen, I just need the job at a shop and step one is complete . Any of you guys know anybody around here that could hook me up???
Old 09-22-2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by rbuchana
What field of EE in school are you going to study?
I would like to go into chip/semiconductor design. Like the DLP chip from TI. or a sound processing chip from somone like Dolby or DTS. Maybe even AMD, Intel or Nvidia. All of which have offices in austin. I have LOTS of options thats why I wanted to know what you guys think.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At the risk of getting flamed, let me refer you to Xtreme 4x4 on SpikeTV. Whether or not you like the show, the background of the hosts might give you some clues regarding experience and qualifications. Here are brief bios on both Ian and Jessi.

Rusty
Old 09-22-2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
At the risk of getting flamed, let me refer you to Xtreme 4x4 on SpikeTV. Whether or not you like the show, the background of the hosts might give you some clues regarding experience and qualifications. Here are brief bios on both Ian and Jessi.

Rusty
Excellent point! this is from Jessi's bio.
Her great-grandmother raced cars back in the 1920s, her mother raced first- generation Blazers, and her father is a mechanical engineer. Put them all together and you get a natural born gearhead.
HA! ME for a father makes for natural gearhead. I knew it! I'd like to attend wyotech, but NONE are anywhere close to me. Need to find another solution.