Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

If you were me what would you do? (EE's and ME's look)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss
Nawwww...don't do that. Doctors have to work about 192 hours per week. Not worth the money.

Yeah right and engineering is a 9 to 5 job.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, and Hoss, MEs are all over the automotive industry, including the Big 3, aftermarket suppliers, racing teams, etc. Even drivers such as Mark Donohue have been MEs.

Rusty
Old 09-21-2006, 03:13 PM

Well, I'd like to get the EE first, then get a job and go get the ME. Or just get both while I'm here.

What I would like to do is make the truck thing sort of like an extra job. Start small then build clientelle and reputation and expand. Eventually I'd like to be like Sheid but not just diesel. I really don't want to make parts like turbos or trannies, just install and upgrade. Kinda like floor-it, except more. I want to build anything from 7 sec big block nitrous chevy's, drag trucks, sled pulling, baja, rock crawling...You get the picture.

Forget about engineering altogether, too much work and not enough pay! Switch to pre-med, it's no more difficult. Yes, then there's med school, but as a MD you will be much better respected and compensated (eventually), and the chicks will come to you!
Uhh..Thanks..I guess..Don't have a problem in the chick department and I don't want to have somebodies life in my hands...I think an MD is a little harder than EE or ME is..More school anyways.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rbuchana
Whatever you do get an enineering degree over a tech. degree. Even if the tech degree is more "hands on". I think you'll have an easier time finding a job (& higher pay) as an engineer over a tech.
I have a EET degree from OSU (Ok State) from 1997. A job found me before even getting out of school and it supports my habits of spending money on trucks, harleys, and guitars. Now, the EE degree WILL make you more money, but, do you want to go to work for Intel making computer chips all day? Do you really love calculas? I didn't, hence my degree. I also do probably 40% mechanical design, 40% drafting, and 20% electrical design here at FES. I think if you take a EET degree and take mechanical elective classes (like Electo-Hydraulics that will count towards your EET degree) you'll have the best of both worlds. You'll be just smart enough to be dangerous with a shop full of parts and a wild imagination. Best of luck to ya. You could alway come up here to OSU and keep my Texas Tech fan wife company on game day! She'd appreciate someone else hollering with her for a change!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
I have a EET degree from OSU (Ok State) from 1997. A job found me before even getting out of school and it supports my habits of spending money on trucks, harleys, and guitars. Now, the EE degree WILL make you more money, but, do you want to go to work for Intel making computer chips all day? Do you really love calculas? I didn't, hence my degree. I also do probably 40% mechanical design, 40% drafting, and 20% electrical design here at FES. I think if you take a EET degree and take mechanical elective classes (like Electo-Hydraulics that will count towards your EET degree) you'll have the best of both worlds. You'll be just smart enough to be dangerous with a shop full of parts and a wild imagination. Best of luck to ya. You could alway come up here to OSU and keep my Texas Tech fan wife company on game day! She'd appreciate someone else hollering with her for a change!
I think the job market has changed a bit since '97.

I have no doubt when you graduate in '97 there was a job waiting for you. When I graduate in '02, I had a hard time finding a job that wasn't in CA, TX or the east coast. The job market right now isn't what it was in '97, but it better than it was is '02.

And EE has a wide field of study, not just IC & VLSI. And yes I do love calculus. Thanks for asking.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
Uhh..Thanks..I guess..Don't have a problem in the chick department and I don't want to have somebodies life in my hands...I think an MD is a little harder than EE or ME is..More school anyways.
Become a Dermetologist(sp?).
Old 09-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fredbert
Forget about engineering altogether, too much work and not enough pay! Switch to pre-med, it's no more difficult. Yes, then there's med school, but as a MD you will be much better respected and compensated (eventually), and the chicks will come to you!
Dude. Chicks don't go to the doctor unless someting is BROKE! You don't want to stare at that all day do you? I may get banned for that one! My appologies if I have offended anyone!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Originally Posted by rbuchana
Yeah right and engineering is a 9 to 5 job.
No way. All the engineers I know are headed to the house by 4:00.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Banned

Yes. I work 7 to 4. You are correct.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Chapter President

I was thinking double major
Old 09-21-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by haloman
I was thinking double major
I'm looking into this now... Lets see...
Old 09-21-2006, 03:59 PM

On average +60 hours a week. Sometimes 40, sometimes +90. No kidding.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Chapter President

If you like the EE, why do the ME? I mean, I am no engineer, just a plain ol' mechanic, been that since I was 9 and started fixin my bikes. Now, I know how to weld, have tested out in Mig welding, built more stuff than I can think of and am not scared to do so. In my way of thinking, engineers will probably hate me for this.....but it's like this. If I build something at the house it's usually over built, engineers have there calculations and such to figure out what is good for the application, am I wrong? Please correct me if I am. So if your just gonna build engines and things like that, not fabbing up full race car frames, rail cars etc why get the ME? You can learn engine building, which in my opinion is a skill in itself, learning what carb to put on with the cam you have, valves, timing all that stuff is best learned hands on in my opinion. They can teach you the basics at school, but some of the best engine builders I have known never went to a tech/college type school, just been doing it for the last 20-30 years. Just my .02 Good luck in whatever you do, sounds like you have a good plan! Keep after it!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Yes. I work 7 to 4. You are correct.
See what I mean!!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned

See what I mean!!
Hey watch it, bub. Notice it is 4:05! I'm staying late today......At least 'til 4:10!

Quick Reply: If you were me what would you do? (EE's and ME's look)