Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

If you were me what would you do? (EE's and ME's look)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question If you were me what would you do? (EE's and ME's look)

This question is for everybody really, I just have no experience so I wan't to ask it in the best place I know of...DTR!

Here goes...I am currently an EE(electrical enginneer) major at Texas Tech. I have not gotten into upper level classes yet and I'm thinking of switching to ME instead. My reasons are as follows. I LOVE cars, trucks and most things mechanical. On the other hand I am a computer "dork" as well as most other electronics. I'm always tweaking things to get them "just right." As some of you may remember, I don't currently own a CTD, but have been looking for about two and a half years for the "right" one. My dream is to someday own a performance automotive shop. I love diesels, but a chevy big block has the same appeal to me so I want to be a diverse shop. I also love suspension, so that helps me be more diverse. If I had it my way I'd be building trophy trucks for the Baja 1000 for somebody like toyota. I have plenty of people to help me get going, but I don't know what I should do in college.

I KNOW I'd like being a full time EE or ME. I want the knowledge of both for my business. So my question is, what should I do NOW EE or ME? I will have to get a job to get some start up capital unless I can find a crazy investor. I work in IT now to help pay for college and would like to work at a tranny shop or diesel shop or any "all around" shop. I don't have any "work" experience in these fields because of lack of opportunity, so how would I get a job at one?

Help me make some important life decisions will all of your collective wisdom DTR. Thanks for reading guys...and gals
Old 09-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Banned

Mecahnical Engineering, because most programs will still teach you some electronics. At least thats true here at York College, PA
Old 09-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How many hours would you lose if you changed from EE to ME?

If you want to do what you say you want to do then ME would probably be more useful to you than EE, but I don't really think ME is geared towards truck building.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:14 PM

Have you looked at Texas Tech's Mechanical Engineering Technology program? Is it more "hands on"?

Rusty
Old 09-21-2006, 01:22 PM

Both
Seems like these things have more electronics on them than the space shuttle
Rusty has an excellent suggestion, check out a mechanical engineering technology program. Some places might have an electro-mechanical technology program.
Hoss has a good point too.

~EERob
Old 09-21-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
How many hours would you lose if you changed from EE to ME?

If you want to do what you say you want to do then ME would probably be more useful to you than EE, but I don't really think ME is geared towards truck building.
Thats the thing, I would't lose anything as I haven't gotten into anything yet. I want the EE part because I have some box/programmer ideas and I wan't to empliment them and I want the knowledge. However, I know it isn't toward truck building, but tube bending and such will be much easier with an ME degree, plus part fabrication. Back home ALL the ME's are gearheads and go to the strip every weekend. Another thing keeping me in the EE field is I already have SOOO much experience with electronics and little with mechanical stuff other than installing alternators and suspension lifts and such. That and I'd like to work for AMD in austin for a while before I jump into this.

Have you looked at Texas Tech's Mechanical Engineering Technology program? Is it more "hands on"?

Rusty
I have heard this, what exactly is the difference? I might have to get an ME or EE job before I get my shop. I want to live around Austin and all good EE jobs in Texas are there or Dallas and I don't like Dallas.

Keep it coming
Old 09-21-2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by hotdram
Both
Seems like these things have more electronics on them than the space shuttle
Rusty has an excellent suggestion, check out a mechanical engineering technology program. Some places might have an electro-mechanical technology program.
Hoss has a good point too.

~EERob
The thing is I want to stay at Tech. I think both is the way to go also. ME tech and EE tech maybe?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
I have heard this, what exactly is the difference? I

It will differ from school to school, but here is the description of the MET program where I went:

The Mechanical Engineering Technology major provides hands-on study and application of the principles of mechanical engineering. Graduates pursue careers in fields such as applied product design, manufacturing process development, field service engineering, tool and die design, quality control, plant supervision or management, and technical sales.

The program prepares students to be effective team members in the modern industrial enterprise. It emphasizes applied design and analysis, complementing instruction in manufacturing and engineering materials.

Students learn to conceptualize new product designs; analyze the design for mechanical performance using computer design and measurement technologies; select appropriate materials for construction; consider how to manufacture the product; and ensure that quality control measures are maintained.

Penn State Erie's program is accredited by the Technology Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (TAC of ABET).
~Rob
Old 09-21-2006, 02:19 PM

Whatever you do get an enineering degree over a tech. degree. Even if the tech degree is more "hands on". I think you'll have an easier time finding a job (& higher pay) as an engineer over a tech.

As for EE vs ME, from one EE to another: EE ALL THE WAY!!! The future of automobiles is electronics, so I think you'll be able to do a lot of automotive applications with an EE degree. I do.

Stick with it. I wasn't sorry I don't think you will be either.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
Thats the thing, I would't lose anything as I haven't gotten into anything yet. I want the EE part because I have some box/programmer ideas and I wan't to empliment them and I want the knowledge. However, I know it isn't toward truck building, but tube bending and such will be much easier with an ME degree, plus part fabrication. Back home ALL the ME's are gearheads and go to the strip every weekend. Another thing keeping me in the EE field is I already have SOOO much experience with electronics and little with mechanical stuff other than installing alternators and suspension lifts and such. That and I'd like to work for AMD in austin for a while before I jump into this.

I have heard this, what exactly is the difference? I might have to get an ME or EE job before I get my shop. I want to live around Austin and all good EE jobs in Texas are there or Dallas and I don't like Dallas.

Keep it coming
If you want to live in Austin for a long time then an EE degree would probably serve you better than the ME degree would. You've got AMD, Intel, Freescale, Samsung, Dell...all of those electronic related companies are in this area.

When I think of a Mechanical Engineer I think of someone who designes HVAC systems for buildings...or who works in the petroleum industry...or who designs refineries...stuff like that. I don't really think of gearheads (not that there's anything wrong with gearheads).

I don't know anything about the Mechanical Engineering Technology degree, but it sounds like it might be right up your alley.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by rbuchana
Whatever you do get an enineering degree over a tech. degree. Even if the tech degree is more "hands on". I think you'll have an easier time finding a job (& higher pay) as an engineer over a tech.
Agreed.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forget about engineering altogether, too much work and not enough pay! Switch to pre-med, it's no more difficult. Yes, then there's med school, but as a MD you will be much better respected and compensated (eventually), and the chicks will come to you!
Old 09-21-2006, 02:31 PM

Regarding the MET degree -

Are you looking for a high-paying primary job with your truck stuff being secondary or even a hobby? Get the Engineering degree.

Or do you want to make the truck fabrication, etc. your career? If so, check out the Engineering Technology degree.

Just $0.02 worth from a pore ole broke down ME.

Rusty
Old 09-21-2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
Regarding the MET degree -

Are you looking for a high-paying primary job with your truck stuff being secondary or even a hobby? Get the Engineering degree.

Or do you want to make the truck fabrication, etc. your career? If so, check out the Engineering Technology degree.

Just $0.02 worth from a pore ole broke down ME.

Rusty
Or are you looking to get rich? If so be a doctor.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by fredbert
Forget about engineering altogether, too much work and not enough pay! Switch to pre-med, it's no more difficult. Yes, then there's med school, but as a MD you will be much better respected and compensated (eventually), and the chicks will come to you!
Nawwww...don't do that. Doctors have to work about 192 hours per week. Not worth the money.

Quick Reply: If you were me what would you do? (EE's and ME's look)