Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

If you got to do it all over again.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would never wanna change anything, EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON!!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it werent for the fact that my job supports my wife and daughter in the "style" they like I would quit in a minute. When I started out in computers I loved it, then I got into management and I still loved it, then I got this job and I HATE it. All BS and no accomplishments and the a-holes i work for are unbelievable.

If I could go back I would have gone to school to be a veterinarian but what the heck.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I would change is the location that I am in. I enjoy what I do to a certain point(CNC Machinest). I used to enjoy running the machines but now have been moved up a notch to where I have some responsability for other people. I am not a supervisor and hope to never be but I am nolonger just an operator either. I Dont realy get to run machines a lot anymore. I do however get to do a lot of setups and trouble shooting and programing. I also have to figure out how to get lazy people to work harder. Thats th part I dont enjoy any one little bit. When my wife and I got engaged I wanted to move west till we hit the mountains. Colorado in particular but realy where ever i could find a job that was in a mountanous area. Instead we stayed here in the middle of the cornfeilds of Iowa and 5 years after getting married are both SERIOUSLY wishing we had picked up and moved rite away. Now we have freinds and roots here.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:49 PM

love & hate

well i am in the navy!
i have been in for 4 1/2 years. now at 25 i am still young!
i went to college for a couple years off and on before i joined, and had a few diffrent jobs that payed well. well enough when i first came in that i took a pay cut. but it was worth it. now after 4 1/2 years of a very rewarding job i can say i wouldnt have changed the rought i came. except for to finish college. witch i have been in the proses of doing. i have been to some very interesting places, met some interesting people, and have made freinds for life. and wouldnt trade it fore anything.
But now i have a baby on the way, and my priorities and views have changed some. its a hard life being away from your famialy alot. i have been lucky and had good duty stations and have only had to be gone a few times. but i know guys, and gals that have been gone twice as much as me over the same time frame. with the same basic pay.
i love my job now, but will i love it as much when i have to miss my kid, or kids growing up?
i wouldnt change the road i took, and what i have experienced, but a more famialy freindly job looks good right now. but the grass is not always greener on the other side!

Bob

IA_James, i hope your daughter gets better!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:00 PM

If I got to do it all over again, I would spend more time with my dad. Never really appreciate what you have until its gone.

Other than that, I'd probably do what I'm doing, except I would have put ALL my money into Microsoft!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:55 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I dont think I would change careers. I would however have taken that summer job in Yellowstone when I was 18.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:29 PM

gigolo
Old 01-31-2006, 11:45 PM
Banned

I love woodworking and carpentry... It is my passion, my hobby, and my business. Wouldn't think about changing.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:07 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dotn know what I would change... I have had a varied and good life so far... gotten to travel...
been a soldier, sailor, cop, teacher, rodeo rider,and scuba instructor.
plus enough side and small jobs along the way to keep from getting too bored.
I think if anything, I would have done better in HS and gone to college....
I think I sold myself short in a way by skipping that.
But over all I cant think of anything I would want to give up to do something different.

IAJames............Great to hear shes doing good........

PJ....sounds like a kid to be proud of.. I always felt my job as a Dad was to try to help my kids be more than what I am...
Old 02-01-2006, 07:09 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
I always felt my job as a Dad was to try to help my kids be more than what I am...
Well put!

Britt

Old 02-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IA_James
I'm a conductor for the Union Pacific RR by the way.
That's my DREAM job!!! Okay...not really, but I do love trains.

There are a lot of things in my life that, looking back, I would do differently. But, since we're just talking about careers, I'll stick to that subject.

If I could go back and start college all over again, I'm not really sure what I'd do. I probably would have stuck with my degree program, but I think I would have gone to work for a custom home builder straight out of college rather than a commercial contractor. I would have also been smarter about the way I spent my money right after I got out of college, but I digress.

Another thing that I'd really enjoy doing is being a Game Warden in Texas, but it would be pretty hard to support my family on Game Warden salary.

Growing up I planned on becoming a veterinarian, but when I found out it took longer to become a vet than it does a doctor I sort of changed my mind about that.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A piano player in a .........

Maybe work for the CIA or the NSA.

MikeyB
Old 02-01-2006, 07:51 AM

I would have still done the 4 years in the Army as I found that to be a valuable experience but I would have been attending classes while I was in there to be a large animal Vet. I grew up building houses for my Dad's construction business and I've done welding and electrical work also but I think I would enjoy being a large animal vet and I enjoy my 2nd job I have now of training horses and mules.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by mcoleman
I would have still done the 4 years in the Army as I found that to be a valuable experience .
You got it.. Then I would've like to finish college while active, then go through OCS, then try out with Delta or SF. Rambo was my hero.

It's always fun thinking of "what if" and sharing it.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have bought a CTD right out of college instead of working my way through two Fords to finally get my Dodge...and it would be paid off right now.

Quick Reply: If you got to do it all over again.......