Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

If you didn't earn it - should it be in a magazine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im only 19 and own the 05 in my sig. I pay for it and everything to do with it, maintanince toys etc., with my own money. i may have to work 60 hours a week for it, but im doin it on my own. so it is possible. the only vehicle that my parents have ever givin me, was for my 16th bday, it was an 89 bronco that didnt even run.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:25 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipmonk
dude, you need to relax! i never said anything was a slap in anyone's face (but thanx for taking the time to quote my original post, then misquote it in your reply)- i said 'i thought it was like RUBBING IT in the face of every hard working person....', note where i wrote I THOUGHT! that means that's what i thought about their choice of material- not what i'm telling anyone else to think about it (and obviously, it's not what you think). i'm not the only one who was less than impressed by their choice of material, as digital bullet started a thread about it, when the issue first came out. btw, the title of the thread is 'if you didn't earn it, should it be in a magazine', not 'how to raise your kids', or 'people who didn't earn their stuff'.
HAHA, Man, I guess I took so long to reply, that I substituded your "rubbing" for "slapping". My bad. And I did go off at a rant. But I do look at the publishers and producers responsibilities different then you. It's all opinions or thoughts (and you know what they say about opinions). And as for the content of the other reply's differenting from the title, yes, most of the other replys did go in a different direction than Digital Bullet intended. Even from where I was going with it. Oh well.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
HAHA, Man, I guess I took so long to reply, that I substituded your "rubbing" for "slapping". My bad. And I did go off at a rant. But I do look at the publishers and producers responsibilities different then you. It's all opinions or thoughts (and you know what they say about opinions). And as for the content of the other reply's differenting from the title, yes, most of the other replys did go in a different direction than Digital Bullet intended. Even from where I was going with it. Oh well.
no problem- i don't think of it as the publisher's responsibility, but i kinda thought that diesel power was a bit better than most of the 'lets see what people can do with $200,000' rags, and seemed to be geared more towards the real diesel enthusiast crowd. but i gotta go now, and help my son into the new lexus i bought him for his 5th b-day.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:41 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipmonk
........... but i gotta go now, and help my son into the new lexus i bought him for his 5th b-day.
ROFLMAO Now THAT is funny!!!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 07:17 PM

my only opinion on this is that we all have a story as i too have worked for all of my toys. When i was unmarried i bought a new powerstroke (not a good choice for 35000$) but i made payments like everybody else. After i married i decieded that a house was more important so i got rid of the truck and went to a 92 cummins. (sounds like a downgrade but not in my book) Anyway, now i am back to having the toys that i want because i have a awesome wife that works for the post office and a sleep tech at the hospital. LOL Anyway, long story short, some kids might truly get nice stuff with out wrking for it, but i would lay down money says most have good bankers willing to loan money or a buisiness that had some serious truck issues this year! HAHA Tim
Old 04-25-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigTXDually
My opinion is that yeah if you are going to have a vehicle of any kind when you are younger you should have some vested interest in it. My sister if 5 years older than me and my parents got her her first car which was a really nice 1990 Camry (less than a year old at the time). They paid for the entire car for her. She wasn't responsible for any kind of maintenance on the car nor did she have to do any of the work on her car. That was designated for me (the family gear head) while supervised by my dad. Nearly 3 year later she DESTROYED the engine by not paying attention to the OIL check engine light while in college. When I was getting close to the of age to get a vehicle of some sort (13.5-14) my parents flat out told me that they were not going to help (due to my sisters negligence of her own car) and that I better start saving my money if I wanted a car or truck. At this point in my life I had also joined into the family business of registered show cattle and used the money from my first 2 cows (Christmas present from my grandmother) to buy more cows and start my own small heard. When I was 14 I purchased a 1981 F-100 from a guy that had just fully restored it for his wife but she developed a muscular problem and could not work the clutch anymore. I was very lucky and got it for a LOW $1500 of my own cash. Now it was a great starter truck, but hey im a young kid that makes great money selling and showing registered show cattle and wanted something more. I had always had a fascination with Corvettes (THE OLD STINGRAYS). When I was 15 it wasn't a Stingray but it was an 82 Vette that I got from a cop at a smoking deal of $5000. Now I was 15 and had TWO GREAT vehicles that I purchased and maintained with my own money. A year later I purchased a Chevy 3500 WESTERN HAULER conversion to hall my cattle around to shows and to go to rodeos in. I then sold my 82 Vette and purchased a 1969 Mustang MACH 1 with a 428 Cobra Jet. Again another amazing find from an old man in San Antonio that had the car and didnt want it to keep wasting away and let it go for a mere $5500. Eight months later I traded it and my old 81 F-100 for another Corvette. This time it was a 1968 model, which I still have. By this time it was the end of my Jr. year in high school, yeah it was only my JR YEAR. Well now my dad was wanting to sell one of the old ranch trucks which I had always loved and was one of the first truck i ever drove extensively. It was an 86 F-250 with a 6.9 Diesel. It was in great shape and I drove it all the time for the fact that it actually got A LOT better mileage than my 96 Western Hauler (with a 454). Now when I went to college I got rid of the Chevy 3500 (Too big for campus-sold it to parents) and unfortunately after nearly a year the old 6.9 F-250 gave up the ghost and died on me(internal failures at 600,000+ miles) , repairs were too costly. Well i then went and purchased a 1999 Chevy Z-71 and dumped a ton of $$$$$ lifting it and making BIG HP out of a 350 Vortec. After all the mods had been done one of my cousin that worked as a pipe line welder introduced me to his 2001 Dodge Cummins, and a really simple way to get a lot of power by just adding a chip. That was A LOT easier than all I had to do to my gassers to get that kind of HP gains. Well now I was 20 and a full time student at Texas A&M and also working anywhere between 30 and 60 hours for an oil tools company making $25 an hour. Lucky for me the oil industry is the other family business and getting that job wasn't too hard, it was a lot harder to keep it once I had it than it was to get it. So, after 8 months of driving this highly modified Z-71 I sell it to a KID (15 years old) for a TON of money. With what he paid IM SURE IT WAS MOM AND DADS MONEY, but hey who am I to judge. Then I went and got me an 01 2500 4x4 Dodge with a Cummins. Soon after that I started to work for a diesel performance company doing R&D for them and my 01 becomes an 800 HP daily driver. I had that truck for 3 years and then was hit by a drunk driver at 75 MPH , which DESTROYED my FAVORITE truck I EVER owned. It took me 3 and a half months to fix it but it wasnt ever the same. Nine months after I repaired it I traded it in on my 2003 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab Dually 4x4 with a Cummins (of course) this is was in EARLY 2004. Now 3.5 years later it has gone through A TON of changes and again after doing dome R&D for a diesel performance company (in late 2004) and many other mods I have a 700 HP daily driver on 22.5s and 40 inch drive tires that turns out AMAZING times at the track. The reason I have wrote pretty much a life story is to help people understand that with A LOT of HARD work and ingenuity(and some luck on good deals) you can start with an 81 F-100 and a couple of cows and turn it into a classic 1968 Corvette and an AWESOME 2003 Dodge dually, along with your own performance shop to continue your love of chasing BIG HORSEPOWER. And it only took 10 years total.
This is what was written.

What I read was:
bigstreamofconsciousnessrantwithnogrammaticalinter positiontomakeitsomewhatreadableand/orevenmodestlyunderstandable
Old 04-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
This is what was written.

What I read was:
bigstreamofconsciousnessrantwithnogrammaticalinter positiontomakeitsomewhatreadableand/orevenmodestlyunderstandable
I gave up about a third of the way through myself dang thing gives me a headache just trying to read it
Old 04-25-2008, 10:27 PM
alwaysonDTR

if you are not willing to save your own money to buy the things you want why should someone give them to?

i have bought all of my atvs and trucks the only car i have boughtfor myself is a 56 chevy belair hard top that my dad converted to 4x4, the only reason i could buy it was because he didn't want to sell it to me, he wanted to hand down his first car to me, so i could fix it up and then when i have kids hand it down to them.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:36 PM

I agree with all said above, I started with a 94 gas dodge, own money, worked everwy day, my dad showed me you have to work for and your appreciate what you have even more, I has taken me 15 years to get what I dreamed of in my truck, hard work and no help from no one but my self.
I try to teach my Nephews that nothing is giving to you have to want and you will get, I just wonder if there be able to wash their own clothes or still have the magic hamper???? thats what I dont want my kids to learn, live at home and have high dollar toys,and not know what it takes to servive in the real world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
I can't see how a 17 year old kid could 'earn' $31,000. What can someone that age DO to earn that kinda money? Even if they started saving when they were 12, that'd be $7750 a year they'd have to save to accumulate $31k by the time they were 17.

I guess he has the 'right' to give to his off-spring, yes, but what are they learning? I know I learned, first hand, what it's like to struggle to make ends meet, not just see my dad do it. You can have a sense of appreciation when you watch your parents struggle for everything they have, but it's a whole new ballgame when you have been thru that struggle yourself. The appreciation runs a bit deeper then!

I have yet to own a vehicle that cost over $25000. Not because I can't afford it, but because I can't justify it. I DID spend a little over a million bucks in the 80's/90's on my excavation equipment, but that was to make money with, not just ride around in. Nothing wrong with spending big money on a pickup truck tho if that's what you want, I just can't see how pre-20 people can do it without some kinda 'help'.

chaikwa.
Work hard, thats what they can do, I have made 25K or better since I was 17, have had two or three cars at a time, paid for college out of pocket(finally settled on a major after 4 years) My parents don't give me a dime except letting me say on there health insurance. I work for a golf course as an assistant Super/mechanic.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:55 AM

Was not expecting this to turn into a bragging match.. But i'm glad to see im not the only one who made less than $17 an hour during highschool and also had a chance to actually sleep!
Old 04-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Purplezr2
I have made 25K or better since I was 17, have had two or three cars at a time, paid for college out of pocket(finally settled on a major after 4 years)
That's excellent! Really, it IS! More young people need to follow your example! I don't think there were any 25k/year jobs around when I was 17, at least not for a 17 year old. Heck, when I left the fire department as a full time fire fighter/paramedic in 2001 I was only making 35k!

Originally Posted by Timmay2
i'm glad to see im not the only one who made less than $17 an hour during highschool and also had a chance to actually sleep!
I agree. I think I made 7/hour, not 17! I guess times are a lot different now tho. $17/hour is minimum wage now ain't it?

chaikwa.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:20 AM

$17/hour is still a very good wage for a high schooler or someone just starting imo. Wages haven't gone up much but cost of living (primarily energy) has gone through the roof. Seriously, if fuel cost this much when I was working at Sonic during high school, I would have no money left for anything else but my vehicle. The whole paycheck would go to fuel, insurance, and registration on my truck. It must be really hard for minimum wage people get by these days.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:41 AM
DTR Mom

Wink a very good outlook considering the article....

very good opinions/experiences here! bottom line-it is a little like we all have a standard. I hate it when someone tells me they are a _______
but find out they took one class holding the instructor's hand.

shame on me but i don't feel that individual is in my league and I would rather avoid them. humans like to share misery, LOL, understanding!

generationally, I have to look at my parents; worked two to three jobs at a time to provide for us. does not mean that we got anything handed to us.
my first car was a 1966 ford falcon for 25 bucks and I painted it with a house paint brush. I had a high paying job - for 3.15 an hour. woo hoo big money then.

again with the teens now. very affluent times. societal pressures, peer pressures, home pressures. the speed of life is twice as fast. credit card debt is a given way of life for most 20 somethings.

so very cool - agree to disagree. we all have standards, experiences, and various priorities for responsibility and expectations. good for us!

next time, power diesel can pick a winner from the subscribers- spend 200 grand on the existing vehicle and pimp the ride for them. I can live with that and will read the article. I really have no interest in the journey financed by daddy's money.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme

I really have no interest in the journey financed by daddy's money.
Awesome.

I really like that quote.