Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

If Anyone Wants to Join me I am Going Up to The Top.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Anyone Wants to Join me I am Going Up to The Top.

Like I do every year.Not too many of the guys left to tell their stories now,we're down to 2 or 3.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ny-4098492.php

The CCC worked for nine years in Mount Diablo. The work accomplished in the park demonstrates the variety of CCC activities in state parks in general. As visitors travel up the main road which winds to the mountain top, they pass through areas developed for day-use and trails, both of which illustrate the skill and fine craftsmanship of the CCC. Upon reaching the top, the experience is culminated by the fine views and vistas of the surrounding valleys and crowned by the Summit Building one of the largest and most important CCC building in the park system.The crowning achievement of the veteran CCC companies on Mt. Diablo is the castle-like Summit Building, with view platform, an aviation beacon, and museum space. They also developed trails, roads, stone culverts, campgrounds, and picturesque individual picnic sites scattered along the park road. A lookout tower portion was completed in 1941, and the rest finished in 1942. Fossil-bearing stone for the building was quarried in the park. The Summit Building is the park’s museum and visitor center. Inside, along with other information on the park’s natural and cultural history, is a display on the Civilian Conservation Corps in the park. New displays are being developed that will include even more information on the CCC.

A trip to the summit of Mt. Diablo is not complete without a visit to the top of the Summit Building. Stairs wind around the outside, or an elevator is available from the inside for those who need it (click Accessible Parks link for more elevator information). The view is stunning—especially on cool, clear winter days.

The aviation beacon atop the Summit Building is no longer regularly used. It was left dark after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941. It is now lit every December 7 as a memorial to those who died in the attack.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guy my uncle works for bought an old factory in the town he lives near. Most of the windows are painted black. They made airplane fuel tanks there during WW2.

Must be something to be 200 miles away and still see that light.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I'm home next year I'd like to come see this.

Are there any webpages for the restoration project?