Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ideas for new shop...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ideas for new shop...

My dad and I will be building a new shop in the near to distant future for working on trucks, and welding, etc. It will be roughly 26 X 36 with 2 Bays, 12X12 Pitch roof with 10-12ft walls. One side will be bonus trusses for a storage loft, and there will be scissors trusses above the other bay for a 2-post truck lift.
There will also be a floor drain. I'm just looking for suggestions/pics of how to set workbenches up, lighting, outlets, or anything else unique that would set the place up slick.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put a chain hoist on rollers right above that floor drain for skinning deer! Plumb it with a sink, shower and commode.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
We just wired a large body shop garage, and I think the most functional thing we wired in that place were the weather proof lights mounted horizontally at about 3 1/2 feet off the ground. It really lights up the workspace well, and the fixtures are wrapped in plastic to keep them sort of protected. 8' strip flour., btw.

Don't forget about cable, surround sound, future kegerator....

Another thing that worked will in the last garage was a "doghouse" for the air compressor/furnace/etc. off the back of the building. Gives you that much more room in the garage and helps keep the noise down. Or turn the radio up.

Another nice thing I have seem is a small pit to drain all of your fluids into. An older fellow that I used to work with was building a barn for his nephew, and he mentioned building a small 4x4x4 pit in one of the bays for fluids. He formed the pit in a strong membrane (don't remember the details) and put a little pump in the bottom to pump out to a tank above ground.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamilton71801
Put a chain hoist on rollers right above that floor drain for skinning deer! Plumb it with a sink, shower and commode.
That's a gantry you were thinking of.

I used Home Cheapo exterior HID's at 70 bucks a throw vs. 200 for the same thing. I believe they are 70 watt. But I strongly urge you put in something as a quick strike light too. The cold will slow them down lighting up, but they'll be up there a real long time and cheap to run.

You're putting in a drain, but you may want to put in a grease trap too. Not sure what the tree hugger laws are up there.

Particularly the bench with the vice on it, bolt that sucker to the wall. You'll be glad you did.

I covered my walls with that brown flake board. 5/8 is tounge and groove. You can insulate put that stuff up, and be warm and toasty. Not to mention you can hange anything anywhere. . .

WASTE OIL BURNER!

My .02
Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I didn't see anything about a kegorator? one thing that comes to mind about a few shops I've seen. It seems electricle outlets like to get installed high on the wall probably due to not planning exactly where any shelving and benches will be installed. Then if the cord gets pulled taught, you have to go under or step way over, or just gets knocked loose more often. Also, add a few more 220 thanyou plan to use. Long 220 extensions aren't cheap and get run ov a lot because they are a lttle more work to move or put away. Pus guys damage the expensve plugs by trying to get a bit more reach and stretch it out.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:57 PM

A slick trick is to drop extensions from the cieling, but put the plugs on a long spring and a cable so they are above your head and off the floor. Same with the air hoses. Reach up, pull down tie and plug and let go. Poifect!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great ideas guys! Keep em comin!

I think the ceiling will be steel, and the sides will be raw OSB. Lights low on the wall will be a must with the lift. I'm not sure about plumbing yet, or even if it's legal to put in a floor drain where we're at. Pretty sure oil burners are out too, but we'll have in floor heat, and possibly a modean as well. I think I could get away with hanging a deer from the lift, but it would be nice over said floor drain.

Like I said there will be scissors trusses above the lift bay, and the roof will be a 12X12 pitch. Is it possible to hang the garage door track tight against the ceiling in that bay to keep it out of the way of the lift? I was thinking Idrive openers that are built into the torsion springs.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:22 PM

Todays waste oil burners are environmental safe. They are actually cleaner than regular oil burners and the fuel is unlimited. Check that out. You can run them on fuel oil too

Radient heat in the floor is a good idea. Just be sure you use the right piping in the floor and don't put it in the bay area so the weight of the trucks breaks it.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by schamran
Great ideas guys! Keep em comin!

I think the ceiling will be steel, and the sides will be raw OSB. Lights low on the wall will be a must with the lift. I'm not sure about plumbing yet, or even if it's legal to put in a floor drain where we're at. Pretty sure oil burners are out too, but we'll have in floor heat, and possibly a modean as well. I think I could get away with hanging a deer from the lift, but it would be nice over said floor drain.

Like I said there will be scissors trusses above the lift bay, and the roof will be a 12X12 pitch. Is it possible to hang the garage door track tight against the ceiling in that bay to keep it out of the way of the lift? I was thinking Idrive openers that are built into the torsion springs.
Roll up door