Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I was only stupid for a second!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was only stupid for a second!!!

This was my favorite backup generator. Its 25 years old but I really did take good care of it over the years.
I have only made one mistake running it.
Had to fire it up awhile back. It was about 5f in the gen room (shed). It started fine, I flipped the wrong breaker, and put about a 5000watt load on it while it was still totally cold.
The second I flipped the breaker it sounded like an M60 firing over my shoulder.
I had just enough time to flail my arms around, do a modified snake dance® pat pend and say “holy cow” (or something like that) before chunks of metal started flying around the shed.
The large amount of black smoke was a nice touch.

Anyway, not a great picture but I was wondering, can I use epoxy on it or do you think duct tape will work. The hole on the other side of the crankcase is bigger but doesn’t have any connecting rods hanging out.
Attached Thumbnails I was only stupid for a second!!!-100_2430-large-.jpg  
Old 12-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Should we allow you around any diesel engine from now on? .

Gonna take a little more than epoxy to fix that.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JBWeld territory - easy.

I can picture it now how you looked in there, all Kermit the Frog like, arms flailing.."AAHHHHH!!!".
Old 12-01-2011, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a 53 block???
Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
File down the rough edges...fill her with oil and some STP and quit worrying about it
Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 PM

As it is already "Green" it qualifies as being environmentally friendly, so you should be able to readily receive Obama bucks for further enhancements. Contact Lisa Jackson and she will send them on up.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have buddy that had a rod kick out of an old Chevy 6 cyl. he kept it full of oil to the hole and drove it at least 4 years.

Do you really thing that putting a load on it cold did that? I think it may have had other issues that caused this.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bark
The large amount of black smoke was a nice touch.
From my experience electrical things don't work right unless the smoke is intact. Once you let it out it will never be the same.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
one cold loading did not do that.

If an engine cannot withstand the occasional cold loading, it was going to let you down in the near future anyway, probably at an even less opportune time.

what brand is that anyway? Lister-petter, or some other slow turning anomaly?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 PM
DTR Mom

my hubby once borrowed a ford from an acquaintence. on mile two a rod flew out the hood. he blamed my hubby. we fixed it (like idiots).

sorry bark, not going to borrow your genset,
but it IS good to hear from you!

got any c rat cans? worked good for a jeep motor....do dit dooo
Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
don't worry ,if you quit looking at it it will go away. its now a zero emissions engine.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by pind
one cold loading did not do that.If an engine cannot withstand the occasional cold loading, it was going to let you down in the near future anyway, probably at an even less opportune time.what brand is that anyway? Lister-petter, or some other slow turning anomaly?
Ahhh, Pind, my old friend. You have shamed me. I now refuse to talk about what brand it was after that insult.
I really had taken good care of it even though I did run it a few times in the rain and snow up on the Haul Road back when it was still restricted (a gold mining venture that didn’t pan out). Rather than haul it back to Anch I had even left it and some other stuff in the good hands of some fine people up there who apparently used it to help power their Marijuana grow operation.
I managed to get it back from the Fairbanks police department since I had the bill of sale and a good alibi.
It had always been in good hands so I can’t believe you would insinuate that it had ever been abused. SNIFF!!
As for the rest of you guys—
-No, I should not be allowed to work on a diesel or any other engine.
-JBWeld—I like the smell but it won’t even glue my fingers together so it can’t be good.
-A 53 Block—I have a friend in CO who got mad at me when I said there were problems with them. He just starts his and runs it—no problems. Now I’m going to be in trouble if his ever breaks.
-STP—If I could get it to turn over I would try it. Maybe I can pull start it!!
-It is green, but Obama won’t give me the money because it put out so much black smoke. Go figure!
Originally Posted by S.TX.MEGA
From my experience electrical things don't work right unless the smoke is intact. Once you let it out it will never be the same.
I had to think about that but you are right!! Every time I have fried something electrical, the smoke got out and it stopped working. You are really on to something.

-As of last year I no longer have any C-Rats. They actually can rust out and go bad in a damp environment. I miss the cigarettes.

As far as not looking at it and it will go away. You are right. I have somebody coming tomorrow who wants some parts off it. They have to take the whole thing.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:20 AM
DTR Mom

speaking of posting when asleep........

you may be seeking the breakroom, not the failed mechanics bay here.

Bark Bark Bark (gosh, I miss my dog?) I can help a brutha out:

have a 4cyl Onan, yours for free. pay for delivery.
(I'll blend in with the packing crate, cheap way to get back to see alaska...)
Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmm...

A "Swoled" genset....

neat!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Bark, thanks man.

When I saw " I was only stupid for a second", then looked over and saw you had posted it, it was like the clouds parted and the sun started to shine.

Quick Reply: I was only stupid for a second!!!