Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I need some GOOD 2-way radios....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2 Way Radios

Originally posted by Jim Lane
The cheap FRS radios you find everywhere are just toys. FRS operates on 49MHZ and is borrowed from the old Citizen Band and is shared with remote controlls, baby monitors and old cordles phones. By its frequency it will not go through metal walls let alone general obstructions. It is ok for keeping track of your kids at a campground but that is about all. Stick with the UHF first choice as it is 470.0 MHZ and has no problems going through metal. If that is a bit $$$ then go with the VHF model, cheaper and are in the 154.0 MHZ.
Jim, you've got some wires crossed. FRS is indeed UHF; and operates in the 462 & 467 MHz range. As a matter of fact, FRS shares some freq's with GMRS (again - another UHF system). CB is and has been using the high end of the HF band (26-27 MHz) and doesn't operate on 49MHz (which is VHF; VHF is typically agreed to begin around 30 MHz.) UHF is even more Line of Sight (LOS) dependent than VHF. Has to do with RF propagation.

For back of the envelope computations:
HF 3-30 MHz
VHF 30-300 MHz
UHF 300 MHz - 3 GHz (no need to get into SHF and EHF)

Good stuff on the batteries.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:50 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: 2 Way Radios

Wow, nothing against you Jim, but I haven't seen so much incorrect information in quite some time. Let me clarify with some facts...

Originally posted by Jim Lane
[B]Hey, if that means what I think I read, Don't do it..."Most of those cordless phones are for home use and won't plug into a commercial phone jack." If you have a business telco system IE comdial, AT&T, Vodavi and you plug any kind of a standard POTS device you have a very good chance of destroying that particular station port. These are really only terminals and the "BOX" KSU is a computer in simple terms. You need to plug into a ANALOG line for them to work.
This part is true, you do need an analog port to run a regular telephone at a business...

If you want a good radio for local communications get a UHF system. I have a Motorola Spirit series #MU22CV, it is 2 watts 2 channel and 38 sub carrier frequencies so you can have private channels.
There is no such thing as private channels. If you think that those CTCSS tones get you privacy, they don't. Everyone can hear what you're saying. The only thing CTCSS does for you is eliminate most interference you get on the receive end. Anyone with any scanner or another radio can still hear your conversations. In addition, that radio operates on frequencies that require the user to license. For those guys in the warehouse, it might be a perfect solution, but if they're going to do it, they need some real radios like GP300's or HT1000's if they're already having problems with range. Yours is 2 watts, the others I speak of are 5 watts.

The cheap FRS radios you find everywhere are just toys. FRS operates on 49MHZ and is borrowed from the old Citizen Band and is shared with remote controlls, baby monitors and old cordles phones. By its frequency it will not go through metal walls let alone general obstructions.
Incorrect. GMRS and FRS share some of the same frequencies, and some are seperate. Either way, both FRS and GMRS are UHF in the 462mhz band. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

It is ok for keeping track of your kids at a campground but that is about all.
agreed

Stick with the UHF first choice as it is 470.0 MHZ and has no problems going through metal.
you're close, but 470 isn't used in many places. 460-465 is used by most agencies.

If that is a bit $$$ then go with the VHF model, cheaper and are in the 154.0 MHZ. Most of the smaller local police departments are in this frequency and operate without repeaters quite well.
Most police departments operate on 800 now. In addition, after doing this stuff for more than 15 years, I have yet to see a single police department operate their main dispatch channel without a repeater. They have tac frequencies all over the place and they run simplex on many of those, but never on the main dispatch channel. That is for range purposes.

Range is governed by the height and gain of the base antenna if you are going to have someone dispatch. The particular radio I have I can go to Disneyland and it will reach across the entire park. Home Depot used to use the VHF version of this radio before the recent change. Target, Wall Mart, Toys-R-Us and most of the big BOX stores use this type. (At least in California) They have a nice assortment of accessories for them also. I have all the Speaker/ Mics for them. To charge them, they drop into a desktop charger and have "Rapid Charge" batteries. And if you ever have the opportunity to spend about $75.00 / month for repeater space they will also work. If anyone ever needs batteries for communications radios, medical equipment (biocom, defib) Streamlite of Maglite battery sticks, let me know I have a battery dealer I get them from CHEAP... Streamlite 6 volt stick usually SAFT around $13.00
Also, here is an option.. I am sure you have a boat Right.. Get yourself some marine radios as they are also VHF and you can use these if you are not too close to any water just STAY off channel 16 as that is the maratime distress frequency. I know of several sea container companies using these. You can get these at even Radio Shack, most of them are made by ICOM and is a very good company. If you want to license them that is no problem Just don't tell them you are going to use them on land.
Wow, NOT good advice. You get caught using a marine radio on land and you're completely screwed. That is not a good thing to do at all. I would never advocate such a thing and people who do are no better than those who ruined CB and GMRS.

Guys, this is all around bad advice, stay away.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Re: Re: 2 Way Radios

Originally posted by Jack Thorpe
Wow, nothing against you Jim, but I haven't seen so much incorrect information in quite some time. Let me clarify with some facts...

This part is true, you do need an analog port to run a regular telephone at a business...

There is no such thing as private channels. If you think that those CTCSS tones get you privacy, they don't. Everyone can hear what you're saying. The only thing CTCSS does for you is eliminate most interference you get on the receive end. Anyone with any scanner or another radio can still hear your conversations. In addition, that radio operates on frequencies that require the user to license. For those guys in the warehouse, it might be a perfect solution, but if they're going to do it, they need some real radios like GP300's or HT1000's if they're already having problems with range. Yours is 2 watts, the others I speak of are 5 watts.

**Sorry private channel was a loose term to use interference from your neighbors would have been a better term. Of course any radio frequency can be listened to with the proper scanner only a true encrypted signal would be secure. And yes they do require a license for some of the radios but again that is not a problem. Forms & $.
True, the HT1000 is a 5 watt unit and a very good unit but most people will not pay $1,000.00 for a single unit. 20 years ago I ran HT-220

Incorrect. GMRS and FRS share some of the same frequencies, and some are seperate. Either way, both FRS and GMRS are UHF in the 462mhz band. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

**True, I did make a mistake on the MHZ of FRS

agreed

you're close, but 470 isn't used in many places. 460-465 is used by most agencies.

Most police departments operate on 800 now. In addition, after doing this stuff for more than 15 years, I have yet to see a single police department operate their main dispatch channel without a repeater. They have tac frequencies all over the place and they run simplex on many of those, but never on the main dispatch channel. That is for range purposes.

**In California, Covina P.D., Azusa P.D., Irwindale P.D., Monrovia, Glendora, Baldwin Park, La Verne are without repeaters and are on VHF. Covina is 154.725. Bigger agencys are on 800 MHZ but, LA County Sheriff 483.0- 485.0 INCLUDING 470.4125 -470.4875

Wow, NOT good advice. You get caught using a marine radio on land and you're completely screwed. That is not a good thing to do at all. I would never advocate such a thing and people who do are no better than those who ruined CB and GMRS.

Guys, this is all around bad advice, stay away.
**Not saying I would do it but I know alot of people who do. 4 major shipping container companies I have done repairs at in Long Beach are doing it for their general communications. True in the 70's the 11 meter band got screwed up, everybody I knew had 1 kw linears but I didn't it was illegal. I was only saying what could be done not advocating it. In California tampering with the injector pump is also illegal and I wont do that.
Sorry for any misinformation. Jim

<edit> to move last paragraph
Ed
Old 02-18-2005, 03:45 AM

Old 02-18-2005, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two tin cans and a real long string.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:20 AM

What about handheld CB radios? FRS still seems like they should go that far... I thought we were talking about going like 500 ft, there should be no need for a reapeater in that environment...
Old 02-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Just remember guys, no matter what radio you get, its power will be very limited. I would invest in a good radio that has a repeater system with it if you want to talk long distance. A good hand held will be better than a cheap one and put out the most power.

The Coast Guard uses standard marine VHF radios for short range comms. We also hanve Motorola hand held VHF trancievers for boarding teams, law enforcment, etc. They are nice radios (with a $2600 price tag without battery) but are limited to a max output of 5 watts. I wouldn't want to go any higher because you have a LIVE transmitter inches from your head.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, all this radio talk is confusing. I like my cell phone.

But, on our farm we use Motorolla FRS radios with good luck. They didn't come from Walmart or anywhere like that, got them at some sort of Radio Shop I believe, not sure what model......... The have drop in chargers etc, the batteries seem to last quite well. We can communicate from the farm house all the way to the barn on the other farm (but that's about the limit) a distsnace of three miles or so?? If both radio users are outside and not in the interference of the buildings you can reach out farther.............

Work great when your fixing fences or checking cows or whatever. they are small, light and seem to last a long time on one charge.

So I'm surprised yours don't work as well..........
Old 02-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I have a set of 14 channel FRS radios. They are Expeditions made by Conair. They were real cheap (12 bucks a piece) but they work relatively well. Me and my wife use them if we go somewhere that requires us to be in 2 vehicles. (She won't let me put in a CB in her car.) Even if we lose sight of each other they work real good. They stink for long range though. can't go more than 3 miles.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:16 PM

If your still thinkn about nextel, look around for used phones (talk to them first to make sure theyll activate them)

Another option would be to see if any other companies are getting rid of their radios and would sell them to you cheap. The amphitheatre I work for sells off their rather large stock of Motorola Radius' every few years (sold them to a mall last time i believe)
Old 02-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
I have a set of 14 channel FRS radios. They are Expeditions made by Conair. They were real cheap (12 bucks a piece) but they work relatively well. Me and my wife use them if we go somewhere that requires us to be in 2 vehicles. (She won't let me put in a CB in her car.) Even if we lose sight of each other they work real good. They stink for long range though. can't go more than 3 miles.

three miles with $12 radios is excellent in my book.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:37 AM

im not a "radio pro" like some people are on here but.. i can tell you from having large groups of hunters every year in hilly terrain with alot of trees that the gmrs radios that i bought are better than some others. i bought a pair of midland g30 radios. they are my first radios and ive had them about 2 years. the guys i hunt with all bought different brands of bubble pack radios from kmart and etc and i outperform them greatly. my sound quality is much better and i dont get anywhere near the interference that they do. i can put out much farther ( even if i am talking to someone who is stationary and im a couple of miles away IN A MOVING VEHICLE! i searched for the best price for this exact model on yahoo shopping and ordered two of them. right now, you can go right on to midlands website and order refurbished, warranted units with the drop in charger for $20-30 dollars with a warranty! if you are looking to keep your costs down and youre not looking to use repeaters, have cell phone bills, etc. and you are thinking about getting a couple cheaper radios, buy one of these - just to compare. it s worth it.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:29 PM

I would be happy if mine worked 3 miles away but when the batteries only last 10 minutes it's not going to happen. The problem with the batteries is they they say to charge them for 12 hours-no longer! Well, we leave at 5pm and return at 8am. That's 15 hours and those batteries will turn to poop if you do this too many times. The other option is to charge them while we're at work but it kind of defeats the purpose....
Old 02-20-2005, 12:09 AM

The charging shouldn't be an issue, worst case scenario you can put a timer on it.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:44 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Lightbulb Batteries.

Originally posted by Dodgezilla
I would be happy if mine worked 3 miles away but when the batteries only last 10 minutes it's not going to happen. The problem with the batteries is they they say to charge them for 12 hours-no longer! Well, we leave at 5pm and return at 8am. That's 15 hours and those batteries will turn to poop if you do this too many times. The other option is to charge them while we're at work but it kind of defeats the purpose....
If they are going dead after that short of time it sounds like the batteries have developed a memory. If they are NiCads and you do not charge them properly when you FIRST get them then they may only last 10 - 15 minutes. You are usually supposed to plug them in and let them charge for 12 to 14 hours before you even turn it on for the first time. Does this happen on all of the radios or just some?
Might try to condition the batteries by letting them go dead till the radio shuts off and giving them a full charge a few times. This MIGHT work if they are NiCads. If your charger takes 12 hours to fully charge a battery then it should not have enough current to destroy the pack too quickly. If it was a 1 hour charger or a 15 minute charger then it is critical.

Is there any chance your charger is plugged into a circuit that shuts off when you leave and turn out the lights? It has happened.
Jim.

Quick Reply: I need some GOOD 2-way radios....