Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I Knew It Had To End Sometime

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Knew It Had To End Sometime

I have made several of these to see and listen to these remainders of "The Greatest Generation".

This years ceremony will be the last for the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association,a national group established in 1958,which will disband at years end due to dwindling and aging as the group does not have enough members to continue on.

-Since 1964-
In the San Francisco Bay area, the events of this day are memorialized by the illumination of a prewar aircraft beacon atop Mount Diablo. This light was decommissioned on that day as a defensive measure and was obsolete as a navigation aid by the end of the war. It was refurbished in 1962 and is now turned on for only one evening a year. On the evening of December 7th, a few remaining military survivors of the attack will gather with family and friends to memorialize their fallen shipmates and comrades by playing "Taps" and lighting the beacon, which may be seen from many places in the bay area. The public is welcome at these events and are advised to enter the park before 4:00 P.M.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am very sad to see that cinco de mayo gets more front page coverage here than Pearl Harbor does........disgusting.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

I know why this is happening. The same reasons you don't see as many Pearl Harbor movies on Dec 7th. I can't say here.

It's been building up for years
Old 12-06-2011, 06:29 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Every year for the last 5 or so my Grandfather swears that the ship reunion he just returned from was his last.... Then the next one comes around and he's goes again.... His shipmates are definatly dwindling though. Very sad to see them go.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:32 PM

It was the war of wars. Especially in the Pacific. We should never forget any of it.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:34 PM
DTR Mom

shake your grandfather's hand for me, marc....

truly the Greatest generation is right. hope they turn into aliens and abduct some folks and implant some sense into them...
Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 PM

Have the aliens seal our borders!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:24 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Sad to hear it. My Uncle used to get together with a group who fought in the Pacific. They stopped getting together about five years ago.
Uncle did battle on Okinawa along with a few other places.
He died a couple of years ago but could not believe that many Americans want us to abandon our bases in Okinawa and that people believe that it was wrong for us to ever have military stationed there.
He would say that his best day was when he heard that the A-bomb had been dropped in Japan because he knew in his heart that he was going to die invading it.
I hate getting older for many reasons and seeing those guys disapear is one of them.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
IIRC we lost the remaining soldier who fought in WWI this past year? Can anyone confirm?

My Uncles fought in the South Pacific, Italy, Africa and Europe and have all passed on. They were all Great Men and their passings have left a tremendous hole in my life.

Godspeed our Soldiers home to lead our country and shame those who are destroying us from within. We need to have another "Greatest Generation" pull us back up.