Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I hate college

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:49 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blast Chamber
Getting a college degree is important, but to me it's more important to get a degree in a useful vocation that is constantly in demand and can make you decent money. My wife and I both attended our local two-year tech college. We both graduated without any student loans, and she's now an RN and I'm an electronics technician. We make more money than many of our high school classmates who went to four-year colleges. Some of them got degrees in useless majors like Political Science, and are now working entry-level jobs unrelated to their degrees and are struggling to pay off their huge student loans.

IMHO, right now some of the best 2-year programs are in robotics and HVAC, but because they aren't prestigious 4-year degrees those graduates tend to get looked down upon. But after graduation they are the ones in demand and making decent coin.
I have a buddy from highschool that got a degree in personal finance. he is working on the line at a local factory and that took him 4 years to get there.

I was out of college 8 month for my engineering job.

Originally Posted by haloman
I have one more final and another year of classes to get my bach. degree. Any words of wisdom from the masses about going ahead and getting my master's?

Hang in there Eric. You can do ittttttt!!!!!!
What is your major?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:16 PM

I kinda miss the rush of having to pull all nighters and stuff.
I have never been able to do "all nighters". My brain shuts off after 4-5 hours of serious studying. No big deal though because i only have ONE FINAL TEST LEFT!!!!!

The main reason that I am in college is to try something (mechanichal engineering) for a while so i can make the decision if I want to run the family farm or not. If any of you worry about your GPA, don't take it too seriously. Supposedly companyies look for common sense more than GPA. However, I have to keep a 3.0 for scholarships.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:43 PM

I went to college right after high school, actually started with the summer semester. I took heavy credit loads, studied hard, worked a job. I took classes every summer, finished my dual bachelor degrees in 3 years. Then I went straight on to my masters degree. I found very gainful employment with a real nice paycheck right away. I did my doctorate at nights, worked during the days, same stuff for another couple years.

Then I took an educational hiatus for about 10 years. I found the need to return to college, again went to school at night, got a second doctorate when it was all said and done.

You will spend your life learning, it is just the process if you want to be better or the best at what you do. You can go to the school of hard knocks either in getting a degree now, or let life kick your butt and then go back to school to end the kicking.

Hang in there, work as hard as you can do the best you can do. Employers today want to see copies of transcripts, GPA is important, the interview finds out about the common sense side, you need both to get a decent job today that will pay what you would like to see in a living standard.

CD
Old 12-12-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pretty much along the lines of what I've found ...

GPA gets you the interview ... Common Sense gets you the job
Old 12-12-2007, 11:21 PM

I hated College to, the day I graduated high school was the day I started my 3 year welding apprentiship, now that I have 3 welding tickets and Im a certified journeyman welder, Now Im back in training in January to be a Crane operator wow another 3 year apprentiship thats 6 years of school, But I ant never looking back, I thank My dad for pushing me into the trades.

Trust me in the end its worth it.

Nick.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:59 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner

What is your major?
Telecommunications Systems Management w/ Wireless Networking Program Option. Its working on Computers with Business Classes involved.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:48 AM

Yeah man I am in the same boat. I just want to get the hell out, I have been a full time student at three colleges in four years, Villanova, Northeastern and Bridgewater state. I started out as a Mechanical Engineer at Nova. I was in the program for two years, with one semester at NU, and I liked it but Diff Eq did not like me. So I transfered from Nova to BSC cause Nova is a great place but at 43,000 a year not the place you want to be if you don't know what you are doing. So I got to BSC I had no idea as to what I should major in so I just took a bunch of different classes last year and settled on Accounting. Now I am on pace to graduate with 150 credits in the Fall of 2008, one semester off of my Spring 2008 class.

I can't stand the school I am at right now. I like my professors for my major but BSC makes you take a TON of "core requirements" these are BS classes in sociology, anthro, philosophy etc etc and BSC requires you take as much as 30-40 credits worth of these awful classes grrrr....Why do I have to care about the freaking tribal people of Indonesia? I am not judging them or hurting them or trying to do anything to them? Why don't you make the sociology people take a practical class like personal finance? GGRRR...

I said this to a professor and the first thing out of their mouth was "Well you will be a more well rounded person." My reply was "Really so we [BSC students] are more well rounded then Penn, Harvard, Yale, Cal, USC, LSU etc etc students? Really? You are telling me Bridgewater State Day Care is a better institution, where some professors give as many as 80% of their grades are A's when in my business law class one person put on a test that there are 5 US Senators in the US Gov. and out of 35 students only 6 knew that there are 100 Senators!!!!, at preparing people for the world?? Really?"

I am sorry I am just venting....I am such a dummy
Old 12-13-2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by haloman
Telecommunications Systems Management w/ Wireless Networking Program Option. Its working on Computers with Business Classes involved.
I would advise a PhD course immediately after your BS. Telecommunications is going to be a full time plus job. You probably aren't gonna have time for a hobby muchless night classes.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by dodgepower88
I have never been able to do "all nighters". My brain shuts off after 4-5 hours of serious studying. No big deal though because i only have ONE FINAL TEST LEFT!!!!!

The main reason that I am in college is to try something (mechanichal engineering) for a while so i can make the decision if I want to run the family farm or not. If any of you worry about your GPA, don't take it too seriously. Supposedly companyies look for common sense more than GPA. However, I have to keep a 3.0 for scholarships.
I kept my brain on roids when it came to studying if you know what I mean... And I don't suggest doing that, takes a toll on you and I'll leave it at that. Still love the rush of being all or nothing, gotta do well or you loose it all type of thing that's hard to explain.

I have a buddy from highschool that got a degree in personal finance. he is working on the line at a local factory and that took him 4 years to get there.
I got a degree in Finance from a top tier university... Took me 3 months to get a prestigious job with a fed govt agency. Only problem was background checks took close to 9 months and by that time I already had a job with a state agency and had recieved a raise in that time. I stayed with the state agency, kinda kick myself in the but for doing so though .

Public service is where it's at. Doesn't seem attractive but I've dealt with everything from budgets over 1.4 billion to helping our lobbist out in great ways. Plus it's laid back which I'm not use to strangly enough.

Hope to move into oil/gas, boutique I banking or real estate soon.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:56 PM

the college we went to isn't a top tier.
he didn't want to move.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Chapter President

I would advise a PhD course immediately after your BS. Telecommunications is going to be a full time plus job. You probably aren't gonna have time for a hobby muchless night classes.
I have an I.T. job right now luckily its hourly so they wont keep late to avoid overtime. I take my classes online so I can work on them anytime. The schoolwork is preparing me to be a Network Admin type. I think will keep at it and get my Masters, I dont think there is a PHD program for this program the school I am going to. Thanks for helping me convince myself.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:03 PM

I have a buddy that is a network admin for a machine shop. He is either really busy or absolutely dead. There is no middle ground and the busy times are often enough that he cant easily do classes for his phd.

I recommend the phd course so you can pick up the masters along the way if things go in a direction where you have to quit school.

a masters really doesn't do much for your career, a PhD is usually only good for teaching. This really only applies to technical fields. obviously, liberal arts majors need to have a PhD to do much more than serve fries.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Chapter President

I have a buddy that is a network admin for a machine shop. He is either really busy or absolutely dead. There is no middle ground and the busy times are often enough that he cant easily do classes for his phd.

I recommend the phd course so you can pick up the masters along the way if things go in a direction where you have to quit school.

a masters really doesn't do much for your career, a PhD is usually only good for teaching. This really only applies to technical fields. obviously, liberal arts majors need to have a PhD to do much more than serve fries.
Thanks, I'll ask my advisor. Dr. Daniel sounds cool.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:12 PM

I work in Systems at school, be an admin in a state college. Do nothing and get paid
Old 12-13-2007, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I went to college for 1 semester It just wasnt for me. I drug up and went to work now I make six figures as a project manager for a large service co. We build power plants pipelines etc... I say that to say this do not give up on school it has taken me a long hard time to get where I'm at it would have been so much easier if I would have had a degree. I'm in a position over alot of engineers and college grads and even though I'm the boss I wonder every day what more I could be doing for my family with a degree. In the end its not always what you know but who you know.