Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I hate college

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same place as u. the only thing that's makes it livable is going home on weekends
Old 12-11-2007, 10:35 AM

i was a criminal justice major, so it wasnt real difficult, just math classes, and communist/antiwar professors that once they found out i was in the marine corps theyd try to make life misserable for you, but i just gave them a taste of their own medicine. i loved being in college!! heck, some people still talk about the graduation party i threw. my entire family had to go to florida for a week and it fell on my graduation. it was ridiculous if you know what i mean. anyhoo, now im bout divorced, and tryin to pull myself out of that debt creating beast, etc. the college days were so much simpler
Old 12-11-2007, 10:52 AM

I kinda miss the rush of having to pull all nighters and stuff. If you asked me at the time I would have said I hated it though.

Also, I think you're worth 10 bucks an hour even considering you can take off at any time. You have some college and can run equipment... just make sure you add value to what you do without stepping on your boss's toes.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:19 PM

Hang in there Eric. I too was once in your shoes. I wanted to quit and work. I tried that and realized it was a mistake. So back I went and I buckled down and did awesome. As a teacher I loved the kids, and there problems in school were my own as well. I could relate better to them. Now as a Principal, I use those same life lessons to keep them going in classes. It all pays off in the end. Heck I am still in school. Just trying to get more education to get even better pay.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:56 PM

One more week till finals!! Yipee!!

Hang in there....and keep the beer going. (If of legal age of course!)

See if there are any research or part time jobs on campus you can do to make money. Theres always something.

I've TA'd a couple classes and probably will be doing some materials testing next summer and next year. (always looks good on the resume)

Hang in there...crank some tunes....down a few cold ones...and get it done. Before you know it you'll be done. (The wifey told me I better get back to studying instead of researching what to do to my truck!)

Have a good one and good luck!

PS. I have 1.5 years left!!! (Unless Grad school calls)

Oh, you want to finish this stupid sewer design project due in three days for me?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:33 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I didn't like college until I got into my major.

the basic classes sucked.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:34 PM

Even if this is just gripe day, you have already answered your question- if it was a question at all....your are making $7/hr now.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:32 AM

LOL at ilmbg's comment.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 AM

Lots of good responses. I dont plan to quit, I guess i just needed to vent. I have one more final tomorrow, and I am done with classes till the spring semester. Got a month off now

ilmbg-Yeah i just needed to gripe more than anything, but you make a very good point.

Fronty Owner- I think that is the main reason im not happy right now. I am just taking basic classes, but once i pick a major and get into it, I think I will like it a lot better.

And yes, I wish my boss would pay me a little better. $7 an hour is cheap labor, especially someone who knows how to run equipment pretty well. I have been running equipment since I was 11 years old helping dad bale hay.Sometimes i only work a half a day, and it isnt even worth it. If I spend $6 eating lunch, and say $4 in fuel driving, what have I made in 4 hours? Not much.

Eric

Eric
Old 12-12-2007, 01:03 AM

Doesn't hurt to ask for a raise. Tell him your situation and if he's a good guy he'll help out. Even at $10 an hour you're a cheap operator.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:53 AM

That TV show, "Are You Smarter Then A Fifth Grader", is proof that what you learn in school isn't near as important as the character and qualities you develop. Discipline, confidence, communication skill, doing what needs to be done-first, learning to anticipate, broaden your horizons, problem solving...are skill sets that will follow you forever----even after you've forgotten the answer to the test question you studied all night for!!

Oh, another quality that will have a huge impact on one's life is their ability to accept delayed gratification. We're in a society where we fly 600 MPH and complain if we're 10 minutes late!!

Remember: If you don't use your head, you're gong to have to use your feet.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by D2 Cat
That TV show, "Are You Smarter Then A Fifth Grader", is proof that what you learn in school isn't near as important as the character and qualities you develop. Discipline, confidence, communication skill, doing what needs to be done-first, learning to anticipate, broaden your horizons, problem solving...are skill sets that will follow you forever----even after you've forgotten the answer to the test question you studied all night for!!

Oh, another quality that will have a huge impact on one's life is their ability to accept delayed gratification. We're in a society where we fly 600 MPH and complain if we're 10 minutes late!!

Remember: If you don't use your head, you're gong to have to use your feet.
spot on comments D2 ...
Old 12-12-2007, 02:21 PM

Getting a college degree is important, but to me it's more important to get a degree in a useful vocation that is constantly in demand and can make you decent money. My wife and I both attended our local two-year tech college. We both graduated without any student loans, and she's now an RN and I'm an electronics technician. We make more money than many of our high school classmates who went to four-year colleges. Some of them got degrees in useless majors like Political Science, and are now working entry-level jobs unrelated to their degrees and are struggling to pay off their huge student loans.

IMHO, right now some of the best 2-year programs are in robotics and HVAC, but because they aren't prestigious 4-year degrees those graduates tend to get looked down upon. But after graduation they are the ones in demand and making decent coin.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Broken record here, but stick it out, and major in something that interests you and will make some Bank when you get into your career path.
I stuck out college for a civil eng degree, mainly because my parents were only high school eduacted and they assured me I'd have a much better career than them w/ a college education. They were right!
I graduated in '95, paying for it all myself, working construction summers and part-time ($7/hr is cr@p by the way, I was making $13/hr part-time w/ a school schedule and over $20/hr full time in the summers/Xmas break.)
Now I am well into a six figure salary (not bragging, just giving a perspective).
Us and our friends that I went to school with are all doing well, can afford some nice luxuries and look towards retirement at the same time. Can't say that for ANY of my friends that didn't go to college (of course, those guys didn't get trades either. Appareently they didn't realize sitting around smoking dope all day wasn't an upwardly mobile creer decision).
Old 12-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Chapter President

I have one more final and another year of classes to get my bach. degree. Any words of wisdom from the masses about going ahead and getting my master's?

Hang in there Eric. You can do ittttttt!!!!!!

Quick Reply: I hate college