Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I hate ASE's

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate ASE's

Mainly because I just got whooped on by L1. Missed it by 3 questions, little more study and I will get it next time but man are these tests a pain in the posterior.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:05 PM

I dont even like the whole ASE thing to be honest. All the best mechanics I know arent ASE in anything and know 3 times more than a lot of the ASE mechanics
Old 02-13-2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by fbx22
I dont even like the whole ASE thing to be honest. All the best mechanics I know arent ASE in anything and know 3 times more than a lot of the ASE mechanics
I would agree that ASE's are messed up for judging someone competent in mechanics. I dont think that just because you pass a test means that you can work on a car, there has to be more then that. I have all eight but I dont consider myself a master tech (except to a potential employer). Maybe a journeyman. Not to mention ASE tests are more of english tests then tests of what you know of how a car works.

What else would you have in place?

I was thinking that it shouldnt just be Technician and Master Technician. Techs should be broken down more then that, Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master. Based on more then just testing and two years experience that isnt ever checked out.

Just some quick ideas.

Apprentice: Entry level with up to 2 tests passed

Journeyman: 2 or more test taken and up to 5 years experience. To get to this level you have to be checked out by a Master Tech and approved to be promoted to Journeyman (preferably the shop foreman or something of that nature but that could get political, perhaps the local "senior techs" type thing)

Master: All eight ASE plus over 5 years experience and a review by senior technicians before getting to that level.

Something like that, but there are lots of problems with what I just wrote. It would need more thought to make it work right.